Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2006 6:32:52 AM EDT
I just finished doing a refinish using Norell's SOCOM black on a Russian parts kit / Hesse(crap) receiver and was hopping to get some feedback on the outcome....

Pre finish:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Post finish:

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:53:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks great. I really like the '74 brake on the underfolder too.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:57:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Looking good.Where did you get that brake?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:00:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice refinish.  Very smooth looking.  How is Norells to work with?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:57:45 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Looking good.Where did you get that brake?

Thanks, I think it came from TAPCO....real pain to finish but sat the best looking part when I was done.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:03:07 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Nice refinish.  Very smooth looking.  How is Norells to work with?

This stuff is GREAT !!!!
The color is very smooth and HARD, the hardest part was the PREP work, be very picky and get everything SUPER-CLEAN, after that its very easy...heat parts, keep warm(hairdryer), paint in 2-3 coats for a deep finish - bake at 300 for and hour +/_ 10-20 mins...I went over by 20 min and it didnt seen to matter.

Read alll the post on Norell's here, there is some good advice on this type of finish.

Going to d osome mags this weekend in black,green, and coyote brown.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:12:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Can you heat this stuff up in your kitchen oven without your wife bitching at you cause you stunk the whole house up ?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:06:20 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Can you heat this stuff up in your kitchen oven without your wife bitching at you cause you stunk the whole house up ?

I find that Norrell's MolyResin has a minimal oder to it.  It's nothing like baking Duplicolor engine paint as far as that goes.  Most paints will smoke when baked but MolyResin doesn't.  There is a faint chemical smell to it though.  I think it's great stuff myself as it's tough and will stand up to harsh solvants like acetone and brake cleaner.

Here's a pic of my Polish UF in semi-gloss black Norrell's MolyResin...

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:43:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I have to aggree with Tapeo1, the smell was minimual at best. the worst order came when I had a set of M4 handguards in too long. Burnt plastic (or at least really HOT) is an unpleasent order. The worst order came from the cleaner(carb./gun scrub) and the Acetone (very stinky/ burns eyes if not vented)
Im telling you guys if I can do this anyone can!!

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:44:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Very nice wood on that Tapeo1.

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:40:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Thanks.  It's new wood that I got from that guy in Poland that sells new Polish furniture.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:41:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Just before logging on here today I ordered a quart of the Socom Flat black..  I'd seen an AK and an FAL this weekend at a group shoot that were done with Moly Resin. AK the flat black and the FAL in the OD green.  Both looked fantastic as does your rifle.  I'm sure I made the right choice, only thing I have to worry about atm is how to remove the tritium sights from my Krink kit before baking it..

John P..
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:47:18 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks.  It's new wood that I got from that guy in Poland that sells new Polish furniture.

I need to get his email, thats some fine looking wood!!
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:50:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Just before logging on here today I ordered a quart of the Socom Flat black..  I'd seen an AK and an FAL this weekend at a group shoot that were done with Moly Resin. AK the flat black and the FAL in the OD green.  Both looked fantastic as does your rifle.  I'm sure I made the right choice, only thing I have to worry about atm is how to remove the tritium sights from my Krink kit before baking it.

John, I think the front is fairly straight foward to remove, as for the rear you'd need to ask some of the Krink guy on that, please post pic when you get done. Email if you have any questions on the applicataion.
jim
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:47:40 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I need to get his email, thats some fine looking wood!!

IM sent.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:20:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top