Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2006 3:30:24 PM EDT
I see a lot of people posting about "kit guns"

see them at the shows with all the parts and a torched recciver.

WHY??    Why do people buy theese things?  Is it cheaper to buy one of theese parts kits and buy a new recciver, than to buy a whole gun?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:51:33 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

WHY??    Why do people buy theese things?  Is it cheaper to buy one of theese parts kits and buy a new recciver, than to buy a whole gun?

Its cheaper to build your own gun just like its cheaper to reload. Same principle, you buy all of the components seperate and put them together yourself saving the labor cost.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:59:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:19:15 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I am a cheap dick, that is why I put em together, well ok I like the sadism that is involved with putting them together.  
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:48:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I must be doing something wrong if its cheaper to build vs. buy.
If i were to buy I'd only have one AK maybe 2
but now I'm balls deep in kits and slowly building them up
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:15:09 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I must be doing something wrong if its cheaper to build vs. buy.
If i were to buy I'd only have one AK maybe 2
but now I'm balls deep in kits and slowly building them up

Perhaps he should have clarified, and said it's cheaper "per rifle" to build than buy.  After it's all said and done, much MORE expensive to start building!
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:13:13 AM EDT
[#6]
It might be because you can't buy some of the rifles at the time you want it because of quanities of rifles may not always be available with the features you want.  Most of these guys may buy a kit and have the rifle in their hands months before a distributor can get them built and on the market.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:53:59 AM EDT
[#7]
thanks for the correction jwise
I been considering listing a couple kits in the EE to get some funds back
I think I might have went s little overboard
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:50:32 AM EDT
[#8]
well for me im not much of the angry beaver fan. i think i have the only sar 1 in the country that you cant put another trigger group in without cutting and grinding. umm Wasar...not my thing i have seen century guns when they go bad its not pretty, cetme and 2 century fal owner. as for buying. i would love a arsenal or vector. but with the kit build i can get what i want and the way i want it. if i get one of the prebuilt guns im going polish the charging handle, maybe not like the wood or the finish. so who knows if i build from a kit or have built from a kit i can get the best of everything.

in my mind its not cheaper to build. if your only going do like 5 or under,  just my thoughts on the matter.

Ronald
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:13:05 AM EDT
[#9]
I put my first gun together, and the cost of tools and the kit was about $50 more than buying a factory gun. Every gun after that was cost of parts.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:19:41 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I put my first gun together, and the cost of tools and the kit was about $50 more than buying a factory gun. Every gun after that was cost of parts.

$50 over what factory gun?  They have quite a range in prices.  Are you talking about $50 more than a WASR?  I've been able to build Romanian "G" rifles on Global 1.0mm recs for approximately the same price as a WASR and it's been well worth it in my opinion!
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:33:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Once I get my Romy with a Yugo underfolder built and my Krink SBR built I will have saved about $750 to $900 depending on where I price them new.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:14:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

$50 over what factory gun?  They have quite a range in prices.  Are you talking about $50 more than a WASR?  I've been able to build Romanian "G" rifles on Global 1.0mm recs for approximately the same price as a WASR and it's been well worth it in my opinion!

No, it was a Polish UF on a Global 1mm receiver. Somebody who got stiffed in the Solstice Arms deal wanted to sell their kit cheap, and I was fortunate enough to get it. Parts were about $250, and a press, rivet bolt cutters, and various odds and ends added up to about $550. I think Vector's UF go for $499, right?
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top