Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/4/2006 2:02:55 PM EDT
If you have a gun that is 100% stainless steel, a semi-auto, could you use corrosive in it and not have it rust? Or am I taking the idea a little too far? I've read that stainless steel can't rust so I was just curious as to the limits of this.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:05:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Corrosive ammo doesn't make guns rust. Never cleaning them makes them rust. You can shoot 100,000 rounds of corrosive ammo through a rifle and if you hose it down afterwards you will never have an issue.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:18:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Stainless steel will rust its just a little more resistant some stainless is better than others I think it depends on how much chromium is in it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:58:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I wish I could tell you the answer to your question, but like robpiat said, if you're reasonably diligent about cleaning, you won't have a problem even with corrosive ammo.

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:00:13 PM EDT
[#4]
By the way, most non-stainless gun parts are made of high chrome alloys like 4140 or 4143 and are more resistant to rust than mild or low carbon steel anyway.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:05:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I know all about cleaning corrosive ammo, I have 4 Mosin Nagants, I know that the salts attract water and cause rust.

What I want to know is if I shoot an all stainless steel gun with corrosive ammo, is it likely to rust? The gun is (I will shamefully admit) a stainless Ruger Mini-30.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:04:19 PM EDT
[#6]
A brushed stainless steel AK would be really sweeeeeeeeet though wouldn't it?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:59:11 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I know all about cleaning corrosive ammo, I have 4 Mosin Nagants, I know that the salts attract water and cause rust.

What I want to know is if I shoot an all stainless steel gun with corrosive ammo, is it likely to rust? The gun is (I will shamefully admit) a stainless Ruger Mini-30.

Yes, if you shoot corrosive ammo in a stainless gun without cleaing it propertly afterwords it will rust.

Stainless.....its rust resistant, not rust proof.  Given sufficient time it will rust if not cleaned properly.

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:20:48 AM EDT
[#8]
You would actually probably be better off with Chrome....Gold doesn't rust either
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:49:39 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
You would actually probably be better off with Chrome....Gold doesn't rust either

So thats what Saddam whas thinking

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:44:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Call me a douche but I would LOVE a gold plated AK with wood like that.

OK thanks for the replies guys.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:58:45 PM EDT
[#11]
The 300 series stainless steels (like 316) are what most people think of when they think corrosion
resistant. Unfortunately the 300 series steels can not be heat treated to obtain high strength. They have to be cold worked to get the high mechanical properties. The 400 series stainless steels can be heat treated to obtain mechanical properties, but they are not as corrosion resistant as the 300 series stainless steels. They have less or no nickel content.

All guns are manufactured as a series of compromises. Material, machining, surface finish, etc. That's why parts are cast, as opposed to machining from a solid block. Not because cast is better, but for cost reduction in manufacturing.

If I could have a firearm made out of any material and I didn't have to worry about material, machining, heat treating costs, etc., my gun would be nickel based Inconel 718.

You can get super high mechanical properties, great corrosion resistance - you don't even need a finish on it ,as it has approximately 19% chromium and 52% nickel.
Jaymor
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:00:26 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

douche  
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:36:21 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

douche  

+1
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 3:34:33 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Corrosive ammo doesn't make guns rust. Never cleaning them makes them rust. You can shoot 100,000 rounds of corrosive ammo through a rifle and if you hose it down afterwards you will never have an issue.

If you are shooting corrosive ammo, I would strongly reccomend clening immediately after your range session, then follow up with a second cleaning a couple days later.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:12:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:19:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Even stainless guns that have NEVER shot a round of corrosive rusts!  I have seen one police officers S&W revolver that was so rusted the cylinder would not turn!  It had never shot a corrosive round in it, so YES stainless can and WILL rust.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 6:17:45 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Your not a douche, gold AKs are the shit!  I wantz bling blingz fo my gat!!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top