Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2006 1:16:41 PM EDT
I don't want to mess with anything that is too expensive and would effect the reliability of my gun.

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:42:08 PM EDT
[#1]
what the gov dont know wont hurt them
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:57:29 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

thats bad advice. very bad.

lando probably works for ATF, and hasnt made his quota yet

however, the chances of you going to jail over it are small, but you are still breaking the law. BIG TIME!
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:11:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

however, the chances of you going to jail over it are small, but you are still breaking the law. BIG TIME!

Blackbag223:

Are you saying that you cannot place US parts on a Chicom weapon?  I thought that as long as you had six parts, you were good to go?

Thanks.

Bud
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:11:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I went to a gun show last weekend and saw 3 or 4 MAKs but ALL of them had been converted to evil pistol-gripped assault rfiles. I really doubt the converters put the right number of compliance parts in, and it's quite possible they didn't even know it was illeagal.

I bet if you play ignorant, you'll never have a problem even if you are somehow caught by the ATF (99.9% of cops out there wouldn't know the difference anyway).

I'm not saying it's a good idea, I'm not saying that I would do it, I'm just throwing what I believe out there.

P.S. We're never going to get anywhere by being complacent anyway.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:18:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Blackbag223:

Are you saying that you cannot place US parts on a Chicom weapon?  I thought that as long as you had six parts, you were good to go?

Thanks.

Bud

i am ashamed. i thought the poster was asking about converting his "thunb hole" mak-90 to pistol grip configuration, and the parts that would then be nessecary for legality.

i dont even have an AK (its being built ) so ill STFU.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:10:11 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm proud I work for the ATF ,   I mean, what.......I......never.........worked .......for .......the .........ATF

also I herd from someone that American parts dont need to be marked as an American part......so how can I tell a ATF agent tell if it is American or not if it does not say
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:31:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I would just do the trigger group. You need 5 parts and the stock will give you 3 but your only other options would be either mag parts or a piston and one more part. Parts dont need to be marked US but its still very easy to tell the difference for the most part. Such as stainless pistons compared to chrome plated or casted FCG vs milled.

www.MidwestArmory.com
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:02:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Get the TAPCO G2 trigger group - its marked US.

www.tapco.com/product_list.asp?dept=15&last=39

That and the Ironwood set - you're Good to Go.

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:53:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Can I install the trigger group myself or would I need a gunsmith to do it?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:56:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Would I need a single or double hook?  Thank you guys so much.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:04:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Would I need a single or double hook?  Thank you guys so much.

Either would work but the correct one is the double hook.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:12:52 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Blackbag223:

Thanks.

Bud

That is not what he is referring too.  He is referring to Lando12 recommending that Boma violate federal law in converting his rifle illegally without being in compliance with 922(r).  I really don't think Lando12 should be recommending to people that they should just blow off following federal law.  He was probably joking but some new members may not realize you have to install compliance parts so it's a pretty stupid thing to joke around about.

Boma if you use the ironwooddesigns stockset and a US fire control group you will be good to go with US compliance parts.  You don't need a gunsmith, it is easy enough to do. You just have to check out how to install the FCG after you take it out for replacement.  Check out Linx310's site if you have problems.

www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/fcgremoval.htm  

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:18:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:24:59 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
[
also I herd from someone that American parts dont need to be marked as an American part......so how can I tell a ATF agent tell if it is American or not if it does not say

Because, all foreign FCG I myself have ever seen were milled from solid bar stock.  Most US FCG's are made from castings.  Castings are easily identified usually from the seam of the mold.  Most US cast FCG are also marked by the manufacturer but if they aren't and they are cast they are considered US parts.  Check out the FCG if you have foreign ones that were included in a parts kit.  You can see they aren't a cast part, they will also most likely have machining marks.

Sure, there are milled fire control groups made in the US.  K-VAR, marked with KV though some have a US marked on them now.  Global Trades ones I have seen are marked.  RSA - not marked but it is a milled adjustable FCG unlike any import.

Century cast marked with C.  
First Son Entreprises - FSE  some were not marked but are cast.
Hesse - unmarked but cast.
Gordon Tech - cast marked G2
Tapco - Cast marked TAPCO G2
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:57:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Looks kinda complicated after looking at the instructions.  what's the worst that could happen if i screw up?

I have worked on cars and computers most of my life so I know I can follow instructions......

I would not want the gun to shoot by itself if i screw up.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:06:11 AM EDT
[#16]
If you can tie your shoes you can switch out the FCG in a MAK-90.  It usually will have an easier type retainer spring than the shepard's hook that comes with Romanian rifles.  It will have one that works with the selector.  Just look at how it is assembled before you take it apart.  Some people just use e-clips to hold the trigger and hammer pins in place.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:13:01 AM EDT
[#17]
It's really no that bad. Take a good look at it before you pull it out. To me, the hardest part is getting the shepherd's crook back in. I usually just break down and spring for the RSA replacement.

Worst case is you'll have to get some help to get it back together. You're not going to "break" anything.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:33:40 AM EDT
[#18]
easy now.... it was a joke that is why I put this at the end of the sentence .....that was the tip that I was not serious.......and just so you noobs out there know it is not good to have less than 5 American parts in your ak's.....and never give in to peer pressure and put these bad parts in your ak
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:39:14 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
It's really no that bad. Take a good look at it before you pull it out. To me, the hardest part is getting the shepherd's crook back in. I usually just break down and spring for the RSA replacement.

Worst case is you'll have to get some help to get it back together. You're not going to "break" anything.

I couldn't get the RSA to work in a Chinese rifle.  Works in Romanian ones fine.  The Chinese usually come with one like TAPCO sells now and they may not be as easy as the RSA retainer but much easier than the shepard's hook.

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:55:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Check out my site www.MidwestArmory.com before buying from Tapco I have the exact same parts for less. As far as the retainers Ive had great luck with 7/32 E clips from the hardware store for a few cents each. FCG are VERY easy to install.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:45:27 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I couldn't get the RSA to work in a Chinese rifle.  Works in Romanian ones fine.  The Chinese usually come with one like TAPCO sells now and they may not be as easy as the RSA retainer but much easier than the shepard's hook.

www.tapco.com/item_pics/md/AK0623_md.jpg

MAK I just put my Mak90 ( Milled ) back together. It had the same wire type you pictured. It was the hardest damn type of hook/wire I every tried to put into an AK. I can put a Rommie style on in seconds. Atleast under a minuet. But let me tell you. Had to get the wife to help with that derm MAK90 one. It whooped my ass. ... I lost alittle blood along the way also. WarDawg
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:51:49 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I went to a gun show last weekend and saw 3 or 4 MAKs but ALL of them had been converted to evil pistol-gripped assault rfiles. I really doubt the converters put the right number of compliance parts in, and it's quite possible they didn't even know it was illeagal.

I saw something similar at a gun show several weeks ago in my area.  The dealer was advertising a "pre-ban" MAK-90.  It had Chinese wood, the original FCG, yet no bayonet lug (ie shaved off), MAK-90 was stamped on the side, and the serial number began with 93.  He wanted $700 for it.

I told him the rifle was NOT pre-ban, and he said that it was imported before 1994, therefore it was a pre-ban.  I asked him if he heard of that little law passed in 1989, and he flat out said that I did not know what I was talking about and to go away because I was scaring off potential buyers of his MAK-90.  Also, he did not sell his MAK-90 that day!  

Quoted:
I bet if you play ignorant, you'll never have a problem even if you are somehow caught by the ATF (99.9% of cops out there wouldn't know the difference anyway).

I'm not saying it's a good idea, I'm not saying that I would do it, I'm just throwing what I believe out there.

P.S. We're never going to get anywhere by being complacent anyway.

Ignorance is never an excuse from the law.  Then again, if I were sold a non-compliant rifle AND ended up in trouble for it, I would turn the dealer in to the BATF on general principle.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:54:27 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
MAK I just put my Mak90 ( Milled ) back together. It had the same wire type you pictured. It was the hardest damn type of hook/wire I every tried to put into an AK. I can put a Rommie style on in seconds. Atleast under a minuet. But let me tell you. Had to get the wife to help with that derm MAK90 one. It whooped my ass. ... I lost alittle blood along the way also. WarDawg

I will spend half an hour or more with the original sheperd's hook, the Chinese goes in within a matter of seconds, you just turn it on the side to slip under the hammer/hammer spring and then turn it upright and back it up to line up with the selector hole and stick the selector back in.  It goes under the hammer pin and over the top of the trigger pin.

The RSA retainer just wouldn't fit my Chinese stamped rifle and I don't think it would work in my Bulgarian milled receivers either but I can't remember and I sold both Bulgarian milled rifles.  I picked up a few of the Chinese retainers some years ago for about a buck each but they cost more now that TAPCO started making them.  They can probably be easily made but I don't know what wire would be used.

E-clips are probably easy but I haven't tried them myself.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 11:08:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Ive been told that the RSA plates wont work in the Yugo receivers due to their extra thickness I would assume that if this is the case it may be a problem with a chinese as well. Anyone know if this is the case.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:28:17 AM EDT
[#25]
tagged for lots of good info
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top