Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2006 9:58:06 AM EDT
Hi all,

I've never owned any sort of firearm before, but I've decided I want an AK. I've been doing a lot of research over the past couple of months, but the problem is that there are so many types of AKs out there.

Here's what I'm looking for in an AK: mainly just something to plink with, and also cuz its cool to own an AK. And, if it comes down to it, something I can defend myself with.

I don't want anything fancy, just basic. Its gotta be 7.62x39, accept standard 30 round mags, fixed stock and preferably as close to the classic AK look as possible. Above all, very very reliable, even it is abused. No budget, but as always, the cheaper the better.

To make things even more complicated, I live in NY with the never ending evil gun ban. So that means I need something without a flash hider, bayo lug, etc, right?

From the reading I've done, it seems like the SAR-1 fits the bill pretty well. I've heard lots of good things about them, but also lots of bad things like Century Arm's poor quality conversions. Trigger slap, etc. I'm not much of a do-it-youself guy, and while I can fix small things, I'd much rather have something working perfectly out of the box.

Anyways, I'd really appreciate it if you guys could point out a good specific AK for me to get and why, along with a good place to buy it online. Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:57:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I was going to recommend the Vector Classic, but since you live in New York, you might opt for a post ban SAR 1.  

Happy hunting.

Bud
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:02:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Romanian.

Anything but a WASR. (I know WASR's are do-able, yet SAR's seem to have better worth monetarily) So that leaves a SAR-1.
AK....

JUST DO IT!
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:04:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for your answers.

I've heard a lot of good things about Vector AKs, and seeing as how they are only a couple hundred bucks more than the cheap rommy ones, I wouldnt mind going for one. Is there any way I can get one in a ban configuration so its legal here in NY?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:45:15 PM EDT
[#4]
stay away from WASRs... they're just.... well, they suck
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:07:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Thanks for your answers.

I've heard a lot of good things about Vector AKs, and seeing as how they are only a couple hundred bucks more than the cheap rommy ones, I wouldnt mind going for one. Is there any way I can get one in a ban configuration so its legal here in NY?

monkeyman,

I'm not familiar with the ordnances/laws governing New York.  Talk with Blaine at Atlantic Firearms.  He may be able to get you a New York compliant rifle (Vector).  I don't know.  Give it a shot!

www.atlanticfirearms.com
[email protected]
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:33:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Get an Arsenal SA-M7.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:49:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:54:41 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Romy AKs can be fine, but mainly if you have a good local with you to hand pick. Also try the Hometown Forum for possible help with shows/dealers.

While we have No Problem moving you upmarket and talking you into several nice gunshalf

Haha, go right ahead. I wouldnt mind spending a little more for good quality. I also thought about getting an SKS, but I really do want an AK and thought I would just skip the SKS and save the $150 or so. Might as well add it to the AK budget.

I'd say tops I'd be willing to spend $800 or so, but I'm really looking for the best bang for the buck out there.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:57:37 AM EDT
[#9]
FWIW, I own three SAR1's and can report no problem with any. That includes trigger slap. I did, however, inspect each carefully (cant sights, fit and finish ect,) before purchase.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:27:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:35:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for all the input guys. I'll check with my local stores of course, but are there any websites you would recommend?

Also what would be a decent price for a new or slightly used SAR-1? What about a ban SAM7?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:44:04 AM EDT
[#12]
If you are on a budget I would get a Global trades AK or Vector then if you could go up in price the Arsenals are of course top of the line. I am a Vepr man (had to slide it in) however you said you wanted classic furniture which throws it out. I have a Global trades and it is a nice quality rifle and has a 1.6mm thick reciever which is nice and comes with very nice blond wood furniture and you can get them from Atlantic firearms for under $600.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:12:33 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
If you are on a budget I would get a Global trades AK or Vector then if you could go up in price the Arsenals are of course top of the line. I am a Vepr man (had to slide it in) however you said you wanted classic furniture which throws it out. I have a Global trades and it is a nice quality rifle and has a 1.6mm thick reciever which is nice and comes with very nice blond wood furniture and you can get them from Atlantic firearms for under $600.

Thanks man. So I'm looking the Global trades SSR 85 C2 at Atlantic firearms, and it has a removable muzzle brake and threaded barrel. Since I live in NY with the never ending AWB, could I buy it and then permanently attach the muzzle brake? I was thinking I could just like loc-tite the muzzle brake on? What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:30:16 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks man. So I'm looking the Global trades SSR 85 C2 at Atlantic firearms, and it has a removable muzzle brake and threaded barrel. Since I live in NY with the never ending AWB, could I buy it and then permanently attach the muzzle brake? I was thinking I could just like loc-tite the muzzle brake on? What do you guys think?

Loctite would not be legal.  Silver solder would be.  If you could get a dealer to do it and ship the rifle to you it would be a good rifle.

Why not get a kit and receiver, send it out and have it built in legal configuration.  You would get a better rifle then the Global build which could have issues.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:50:39 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't know too much about building an AK from a kit. Who should I go to to have one built?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:06:30 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I don't know too much about building an AK from a kit. Who should I go to to have one built?

AK gunsmiths thread from last week.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top