Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/24/2006 11:40:40 AM EDT
Hi all. I've got a single stack magwell and want it to accept regular double stack AK mags. I don't want to ship it off somewhere for the fix, and I don't want to wait 2 months on a local shop to do it.

Any hints or help you can give me on how to do this myself?

I have read that a dremel tool can be used for doing this, so will need to buy one if that's the case. I drew a template based on the mag well of a good, working AK that takes regular mags and should be able to use that as a guide unless something better presents itself.

1) any hints on dremel tool use, or recommendations for other tools?
2) any photos (or templates) of your mag wells that I can use for comparison?
3) any hints or observations on the overall process?

I know doing this yourself might be dicey, but I'm pretty good at making things work and believe I can do it. If not, the AK was cheap enough that I wont beat myself up too bad if I screw up.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:26:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Check out this thread here.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:15:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, excellent resource!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:16:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I just realized that widening the mag well puts this AK into 922 territory. I may be better off selling it as-is, rather than buying a dremel, bits, vice and compliant parts to make this happen.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:17:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Take your time and go slow. I had a Romy 40rnd mag, a Hungarian (I think) 20rnder, and a Bulgy Waffle mag, but I didn't have a template. I just worked slowly and carefully with my dremel and just removed until the mags fit. I have almost no loosness in the mag well, but all fit nicely. It isn't the prettiest, but it is doable. What type of rifle are you going to open up? Also, you are aware that once you do that, you have to make it 922r compliant, right?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:50:18 PM EDT
[#5]
This is an Egyptian Maadi ISR-10, imported circa 1999.

I have now realized that it might be in 922 territory if I widen the mag well, which sucks.

I could make it "US" instead of imported, but hate to spend all the money on compliance parts, dremel tool & bits, etc in addition to the rifle's cost. It may be better to just sell it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:41:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
This is an Egyptian Maadi ISR-10, imported circa 1999.

I have now realized that it might be in 922 territory if I widen the mag well, which sucks.

I could make it "US" instead of imported, but hate to spend all the money on compliance parts, dremel tool & bits, etc in addition to the rifle's cost. It may be better to just sell it.

G2 trigger group $35.00
US floor plate $2.50
US follower $3.50
US flash suppresor $11.00

Not to expensive to swap over and keep it legal.

thanks,
Ron
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:00:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Ron, are you on Myspace? Your avatar looks familiar...

I did a little more research, and it appears that this model was brought in with a US made trigger, sear and hammer (?), or 3 compliance parts. So I could either go with US parts in the mags, or replace the pistol/rod or furniture...

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:50:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Ron, are you on Myspace? Your avatar looks familiar...

I did a little more research, and it appears that this model was brought in with a US made trigger, sear and hammer (?), or 3 compliance parts. So I could either go with US parts in the mags, or replace the pistol/rod or furniture...

Yeah.. that would be me on Myspace

If you already have the US trigger group, just go with the follower, floor plate and pistol grip. If you have an original (shiney black) pistol grip, then change out the piston and keep the outside appearance original.

thanks,
Ron
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:29:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Maadi is fairly easy to convert, at least more so than if you had a Romy with a single stack Front trunion. I've got 4 10rnd single stack mags that came with my Maadi if you would want them to improve a package price. If so IM me; I tried to IM you, but you aren't set up to accept them.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:10:29 PM EDT
[#10]
dar48 - IM sent, and I activated my IM.

I just stripped this thing and it is FULL of cosmoline. Even the barrel and gas tube are full of it. Either this thing hasn't been shot since it was imported, or someone has re-filled it with cosmo, which I don't think is likely.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top