Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/23/2006 1:42:23 AM EDT
do any of you guys with tantal kits or complete builds have pitted barrels?

i bought a tantal rifle (made by a full time ak builder ) and it has moderate rusting in the gas tube, rusty/rough areas in muzzle brake and i can see a few small pits down the tube

sent it back for some other issues (crap duracoat finish) and told him about the problem. note with return package said used kits, not everything is going to be perfect.

anyone with tantal have evidence of corrosive ammo? my was a 93' thought they would have stopped using corrosive by now.

tried to clean it up yesterday. a stainless "tornado" (agressive) 12ga brush did not put a dent in the gas tube rust. worked on the barrel with synthetic brush and patches, several passes of sweets 762 followed by severalhoppes cleaned up most of the stuff but you can still see some pits
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:41:19 AM EDT
[#1]
My tantal barrel is shiny as can be, no pitting anywhere on the gun.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:21:39 AM EDT
[#2]
if you would just go shoot it you would find that the pits will be filled with carbon fouling soon enough.....

rust in the gas tube? that will be black soon too.. so who cares?

go shoot it!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top