Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2006 6:01:31 AM EDT
1.Why did they make this gun instead of just making AK`s or pull a Valmet, Zastava or Galil(home grown)?
2.Are the guns still in service?
3.How are the OOW VZ2000`s?
4.Most burning question why did they decide to use their own mag instead of using an AK mag?

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:21:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Anybody?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:24:32 PM EDT
[#2]
So that Canadians could someday buy them in lieu of AKs...
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:38:39 PM EDT
[#3]
The Czechs were always independently minded when it came to firearms. When the Soviets used 7.62x25mm Tokarev ammo, they made the CZ-52 instead of using the Tokarev pistol. When the Soviets switched to 9mm Makarov, they made the CZ-82 instead of using the Makarov like all the other com-bloc nations did. They went along with the Soviet ammo standards, but used their firearms with proprietary magazines whenever they could. And in many cases, their firearms were superior to the ones all the other commie bastards were using.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:30:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The Czechs were always independently minded when it came to firearms. When the Soviets used 7.62x25mm Tokarev ammo, they made the CZ-52 instead of using the Tokarev pistol. When the Soviets switched to 9mm Makarov, they made the CZ-82 instead of using the Makarov like all the other com-bloc nations did. They went along with the Soviet ammo standards, but used their firearms with proprietary magazines whenever they could. And in many cases, their firearms were superior to the ones all the other commie bastards were using.

That pretty well says it all.

And remember they fielded a 7.62x45 (or something like that) for a while until Moscow made them stop and convert the rifles to 7.62x39.

They may have been behind the Iron Curtain, but they still had a lot of national pride and indepence of spirit.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:25:30 AM EDT
[#5]
The VZ58 is still in service to this day. Early on, it was chambered in 7.62x45 and then was converted to 7.62x39, not at Moscow's behest but simply because of logistics. Why use proprietary ammunition when everyone around you is using the same thing, especially when your oddball cartridge isn't any better. Despite its apperance, its not an AK, but an entirely different weapon which uses an tipping block*Walther* style operating system. Nothing between a VZ58 and AKM are interchangible, save ammunition. Which is actually better is anyone's guess. The AK is world proven, the VZ is not. The VZ is machined to tighter specifications and isn't nearly as "sloppy" as a standard combloc AK of the era. The VZ is slightly more accurate, again when

compared to a contemporary. It also is a more "durable" design, less prone to incidental damage.
Keep in mind, reliability/durability aren't necessarily the same thing and while reliable, there are many things about the AKM which aren't all that durable. The main reason for countries to resist conforming to Moscow's standards would be to retain thier national identity and to possibly passively resist. Logistically, its an abusrd notion to use proprietary
weapons/magazines/cartridges when your neighbors are using "standard" stuff. Arguments can be made about the superiority of the weapon, but the magazine? I am sure they had thier reasons, but I can't tell you what those reason are. I can tell you VZ magazines appear to be more "robust" than AK magazines of the period.

I really like the OOW incarnation, as it appears to be well built. I didn't care to shoot it when I had the chance, because I didn't want it to tarnish the memory of the "real deal". The price is a little higher than I would like to see, but they seem like good guns. Do avoid the folding stock as its sloppy and extremely uncomfortable. It looks cool, but it borders on being dysfunctional.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top