Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2006 10:46:47 PM EDT
Does anyone have any pictures or diagrams of the quadstack magazines the russian developed? I've got my rapid fire device still in the works, its going good. I was thinking about trying to weld a couple of mags together and try to make a quad stack. I have one diagram, but its got alot left out.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:20:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:09:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Wow nice looking mags. I have never seen those before.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:58:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:18:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Somebody over at gunco.net (Magnus maybe?) is very close to having a working prototype quadstack magazine already.  Maybe take a peek over there and see what he has done so far.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:58:18 AM EDT
[#5]
how many rds does that thingamajig hold?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:33:06 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Sorry, I had to
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:45:39 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry, I had to

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:48:51 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry, I had to

lmao, might have to make a Special Edition with 87 round capacity.

They hold 60 rounds. That diagram is the one I have, i'm stuck at how the follower works, and how to have them funnel to the top without jamming. I've never used a drum so I dont know how much they weigh, but these should be lighter and close in capacity.

I dont plan on starting this for about 3 months, ive got alot of work to do until then. I'd like to make on in 7.62 . Im also working on some US built folding stocks, and a bunch of other mods for the AK. Alot of new parts for the AK will show up this summer.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:53:12 AM EDT
[#9]
7.62 would be quite a bit larger then the 5.45 60 rounder. It would be wider, longer, curved more, and weigh more.

I'd be happy with a copy of the 5.45 one. The reason everyone loves those quads is because there arent any drums for 5.45. For 7.62 people can just get a 75 round rommy drum for under 100.

But if you can pull it off, cool by me.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 10:31:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Do you have any dimensions or nomenclature that corresponds to the numbers in that diagram?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 1:59:30 PM EDT
[#11]

They hold 60 rounds. That diagram is the one I have, i'm stuck at how the follower works, and how to have them funnel to the top without jamming. I've never used a drum so I dont know how much they weigh, but these should be lighter and close in capacity.

I dont plan on starting this for about 3 months, ive got alot of work to do until then. I'd like to make on in 7.62 . Im also working on some US built folding stocks, and a bunch of other mods for the AK. Alot of new parts for the AK will show up this summer.

Look at the cross section. Note that at the top of the mag you have a straight sided funnel. Also note the diamond shaped insert to force the rounds for four stacks into two.  The diamond is likely present only about 5mm at the back of the round. The follower is scissors where the two sides spring open to support a 4 wide stack. As the follower rides up into the funnel, the two scissors collapse into a double round wide follower. The scissor part is shorter than the overall round so it can slip past the diamond wedge (as shown in drawing one where the follower is all the way to the top).  It appear that the follower may be slotted and that there are two pairs of scissors that recess into slots as the follower rides up the ramp. That would make it most reliable...

-Cabby
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:20:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Anything stopping importation or domestic production???  Could this work for 12 gauge drum?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:23:08 PM EDT
[#13]
A bit more here:

http://kalashnikov.guns.ru/models/ka202.html
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:04:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Hey, email this guy.  That mag looks possibly like some kinda cut off quad stack?  Could be wrong but I'd really like to see these mags made here, so I'll report in anything I think that may possibly be helpful, even if its a remote chance.

www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=46599139
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:51:48 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Hey, email this guy.  That mag looks possibly like some kinda cut off quad stack?  

Not even close. That gun is an FEG SA2000M, and the mag is a (wide) 10-round single stack.

www.ammoclip.com/F/FEGsa2000m.htm
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 4:36:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Ah well.  It was worth a try.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:38:07 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
7.62 would be quite a bit larger then the 5.45 60 rounder. It would be wider, longer, curved more, and weigh more.

I'd be happy with a copy of the 5.45 one. The reason everyone loves those quads is because there arent any drums for 5.45. For 7.62 people can just get a 75 round rommy drum for under 100.

But if you can pull it off, cool by me.

The drum above IS for the 5.45x39!  You will also notice it doesn't go into the gun like either a Russian or Chinese drum, but lies alone the bottom like a Lewis drum sits on top.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 2:15:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Hey, look what I found.  Hope this helps.

http://s95061423.onlinehome.us/coffinmag.jpg
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 3:03:23 PM EDT
[#19]
quad stack mags thread

A couple of the guys in this thread claims to have/ had had quad stack mags.  Maybe if you contact them you can track one down and build an accurate replica?  Good luck!
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 3:09:57 PM EDT
[#20]
tag for more quad stack info
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 8:33:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 9:05:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Very few quad stacks are known to exsist.. The folks at cumsnet are full of shit. They cannot even be found in Europe, but they could be imported.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 9:26:58 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry, I had to

lmao, might have to make a Special Edition with 87 round capacity.

I'm pretty sure I under stand how it works, but the thing that is confusing the heck out of me is where the diamond shaped thing goes?

Well, here's how I see the follower working:
In the right picture you can see how there are two arm things that stick out to the sides(parts #21 and #20) of the follower (part #18), as the magazine is emptied, #20 slides under the follower and #21 slides onto the follower (if you look closely, you can see that #21 is notched right were #18 touches it) and acts like the raised part of the follower.

Ok, that probably doesn't make much sense if you read that, but I'm kind of getting an idea of how it works. It look pretty complicated though, does anyone know why they haven't started making a lot of these? Are they likely to jam or something?
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 10:22:07 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Very few quad stacks are known to exsist.. The folks at cumsnet are full of shit. They cannot even be found in Europe, but they could be imported.

Yes, BS.

The quad stack mag is not in full production... Plus, Russian laws prohibit Military magazines (any hi caps, standard AK47, AKM, AK74 mags) from being exported to any civilian market anywhere...They are also illegal to even have there in civilian hands, so that discourages any from falling off a truck, etc (plus the small numbers would probihit that anyway)....

I played with one in Russia a few years ago... I was told that only 3 or 4 were made... Honestly, that does not really make sense, as they are made from plastic...Once the mold is cut, its easy to pump out more....

They also would be illegal to import, as importing AK74 parts (mag is a part) from Russia is not allowed.

Link Posted: 4/18/2006 4:45:02 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, BS.

The quad stack mag is not in full production... Plus, Russian laws prohibit Military magazines (any hi caps, standard AK47, AKM, AK74 mags) from being exported to any civilian market anywhere...They are also illegal to even have there in civilian hands, so that discourages any from falling off a truck, etc (plus the small numbers would probihit that anyway)....

I played with one in Russia a few years ago... I was told that only 3 or 4 were made... Honestly, that does not really make sense, as they are made from plastic...Once the mold is cut, its easy to pump out more....

They also would be illegal to import, as importing AK74 parts (mag is a part) from Russia is not allowed.

So what you're trying to say is someone stateside needs to get their hands on the molds?  Stott, you could be a millionaire...

Spooky
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top