Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/21/2006 6:38:54 PM EDT
Im going to be goin to the gunshow on the 21-23 of next month.  I was going to look at some 100 dollar SKS's today but they were sold out.  After thinking about it, im thinking it might be a waste to get a SKS when what i really want is an AK.

How much should a pretty good condition AK cost?  I've never shot one.  Should i be looking for anything when im rummaging through them at the show?  And how easy/cheap is 7.62?

Thanks for all the help in advance.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:40:15 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Im going to be goin to the gunshow on the 21-23 of next month.  I was going to look at some 100 dollar SKS's today but they were sold out.  After thinking about it, im thinking it might be a waste to get a SKS when what i really want is an AK.

How much should a pretty good condition AK cost?  I've never shot one.  Should i be looking for anything when im rummaging through them at the show?  And how easy/cheap is 7.62?

Towley,

Browse the board here.  There are many questions similar to yours that I think you'll find useful.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:33:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree that you should just browse through the posts here....but to get you started look at Vector Arms. They make a nice, good quality AK. Good place to start. They go for between $500-$600.

Of course you can always start with a WASR for $300ish....but the quality is very hit or miss. I wouldn't get a WASR for my first AK; if you have a bad experience with one it might leave a sour taste in your mouth for AKs.

And if you want the best....go Arsenal. Just be ready to spend more....good luck, bro.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:24:12 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Cheap AKs at a gunshow will most likely be WASRs: $350-400, with a "good price" being $300.  

Good AKs will run closer to $500 or $600.  

7.62X39 ammo is getting harder to find, and therefore it's going up in price.  $150/case at my local shop.  They've been VERY low for a while, and finally got a few cases of Wolf in.  Hence the high price.  That stuff used to sell for $80-100/case.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:51:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:39:26 PM EDT
[#5]
 Ok im not looking to spend alot of money(i dont think my parents will let me spend more than 350'ish).  Im just looking for something to get me started and something to screw around with this year.  Im going to be going to basic NEXT summer so i will be able to upgrade then(if i need to).

The AK's at the store i went to were brand new and i think they were either victory arms or something like that(might have been vector arms but they seemed way to cheap to be vectors from what im hearing, they were 260 dollars and were V_____ ______)

I dont really know all the different brands except that Norinco's(sp?) are chinese and peices of crap.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:43:03 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
 Ok im not looking to spend alot of money(i dont think my parents will let me spend more than 350'ish).  Im just looking for something to get me started and something to screw around with this year.  Im going to be going to basic NEXT summer so i will be able to upgrade then(if i need to).

The AK's at the store i went to were brand new and i think they were either victory arms or something like that(might have been vector arms but they seemed way to cheap to be vectors from what im hearing, they were 260 dollars and were V_____ ______)

I dont really know all the different brands except that Norinco's(sp?) are chinese and peices of crap.

Sounds like Vulcan Arms maybe.  Stay away from them.  Don't let the price tag suck you in.  For "$350ish," try to get your hands on an SAR (Romanian) or WASR.  Those are good starter guns.  But make sure the sight doesn't have any cant and the mag well mates well with the magazine.

Bud
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:51:30 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like Vulcan Arms maybe.  Stay away from them.  Don't let the price tag suck you in.  For "$350ish," try to get your hands on an SAR (Romanian) or WASR.  Those are good starter guns.  But make sure the sight doesn't have any cant and the mag well mates well with the magazine.

Bud

That was probably it.  When i go to the gun show next month ill keep my eyes peeled for some SAR's or WASR's.   How much do those sell for in good condition?  I'll be going along with a guy that gunsmiths for a hobby, hopefully he can point me in the right direction but i dont think he is big into AK's.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:00:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bud

That was probably it.  When i go to the gun show next month ill keep my eyes peeled for some SAR's or WASR's.   How much do those sell for in good condition?  I'll be going along with a guy that gunsmiths for a hobby, hopefully he can point me in the right direction but i dont think he is big into AK's.

I've seen WASRs go for right around $300-$350 and SARs going for anywhere between $325-$450, depending on furniture, refinishing, accessories, etc.

Good Hunting!

Bud
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:15:43 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Wrong.  Alot of people think the Chinese rifles are good quality so that premise is wrong right from the start of your search.  Most likely alot better quality than you will find in a WASR at roughly the same price if you are talking a Norinco MAK-90 type rifle.  I have seen several locally in AZ over the last 2 years for $350.00-$400.00.  Some members here have been finding them in the $250.00 and less range, though those deals are few and far between.

You say your parents may not approve of you spending over $350.00 so I take it you are under 18 and will have to have a parent actually buy the rifle for you?  You might be better off getting a Yugo SKS then as they can be bought from $100.00-$169.00 and it is a good starter rifle.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:20:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like Vulcan Arms maybe.  Stay away from them.  Don't let the price tag suck you in.   For "$350ish," try to get your hands on an SAR (Romanian) or WASR.  Those are good starter guns.  But make sure the sight doesn't have any cant and the mag well mates well with the magazine.

Bud

+1. Be afraid of Vulcan....very, very afraid.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:05:30 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wrong.  Alot of people think the Chinese rifles are good quality so that premise is wrong right from the start of your search.  Most likely alot better quality than you will find in a WASR at roughly the same price if you are talking a Norinco MAK-90 type rifle.  I have seen several locally in AZ over the last 2 years for $350.00-$400.00.  Some members here have been finding them in the $250.00 and less range, though those deals are few and far between.

You say your parents may not approve of you spending over $350.00 so I take it you are under 18 and will have to have a parent actually buy the rifle for you?  You might be better off getting a Yugo SKS then as they can be bought from $100.00-$169.00 and it is a good starter rifle.

Yes im 17.  I thought about getting an SKS instead.  Im still thinking about it but i know if i go that route ill just end up buying an AK in a year anyway so idk if its worth the money to start with an SKS.

edit: then again, 2 guns is always better than one
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 12:39:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Doh!  They were Century Arms AK's.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top