Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/21/2006 1:04:53 PM EDT
Hello all,

I was in a small gunshop today and noticed a AK off in the corner.  I took a look at it and the receiver said SAR 1 on it.  It had a side folding stock which was welded in the extended position. They claimed it was new/unused.  They wanted $450 for it. They actually kept calling it a Kalishnikov.....I don't think the guy knew too much about "black rifles", he wanted $400 for a Yugo SKS.

I don't know much about AK's so I thought I would ask "The Dark Side"

Is it worth it?

Can I remove the welded folder or grind the weld off?

What else should I look at when I go back?

Thanks

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:17:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Go back and offer him $400 even.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:22:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Would I be stuck with the welded sidefolder?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:58:08 PM EDT
[#3]
It's about as cheap as you are going to find one in that configuration.

The side folder can be taken off.  Disassembe the sidefolder by taking several pins out to include the pivot pin and pushbutton assembly.  Place the sidefolder so the weld is elevated such as on a 2x4 and smack the weld with a hammer.  The sidefolder should come apart into two pieces and the weld can be cleaned up.  Reassemble.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:41:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I just walked into the local fun store the other day and picked up a nice SAR-1. it was used but looked newer than any of the WASRs he had. I paid $309.00. I was pumped. espcially since the WASRs were $330.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:03:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I just walked into the local fun store the other day and picked up a nice SAR-1. it was used but looked newer than any of the WASRs he had. I paid $309.00. I was pumped. espcially since the WASRs were $330.

That's a great deal.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:09:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Hell, I paid $200.00 about a year ago for mine.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 10:22:57 AM EDT
[#7]
I traded a beretta 92 for a SAR & $500 cash
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:23:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I went to a gunshow this weekend and found another SAR 1 with welded sidefolder for $425.  WASR's were around $400 if I remember correctly. I also found a couple of Yugo underefolders at a gun store for $480.  

Problem I am having is that I bought a Vepr a year ago and paid $550......these Romanian's and Yugo's seem soooooo rough for the price.  I know I know it is just cosmetics. But still, the Vepr seems like such a better value.

I Will go back and offer the guy $375 this week for the SAR1.  All he can do is say no.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top