Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/18/2006 4:49:36 PM EDT
Has there been a recent change of rules on the legal import of AK replacement parts and magazines by the BATF?  My local shop claims that imported parts (including magazines) will soon be non-existent and what he has available will have a significant price increase.  

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:57:48 PM EDT
[#1]
recent ban on military AK barrels with threaded barrels, bayo lugs etc

that is all i have read about. ban on import magazines? better let the vendors know. they were blowing out ak47 mags at 4 for $20 a couple weeks ago
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:02:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I thought only the barrels were banned and the rest of the parts could come in minus the barrel?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:25:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Do any of you have a link that details this ban on barrels?  The owner of my local shop has been known to bend the truth to make a buck.   There's a big warning sign of this fact painted on the window of his shop, it reads..."Free Bibles!". here
Thank
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:29:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Do any of you have a link that details this ban on barrels?  
Thank

Info or read below and me, it is barrels, frames, and receivers.

As of September 10, 2005 the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF) will no longer allow the importation of barrels, frames, or receivers for rifles that are currently prohibited from importation into the United States under Title 18 USC § 925(d)(3). This means, for example, that if you own an AK-47 variant such as a Romanian or Bulgarian model, your window for purchasing a legal replacement parts kit is coming to a close unless or until an American company manufactures suitable replacement parts for your particular model. Please check with your local licensed firearms dealer or ATF office for further details.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:04:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I heard they dropped the barrel ban and are going with a subgun ban. Honestly what does ATF hope to accomplish with all this? I mean what crime is it going to stop? Do they think criminals are going to carry around expensive AK's to try and hide under their dew rags? WTF ATF, I guess they won't piss on the Alchohal and Tabacco that kills more people in this country than all illegal drugs in existance yet they focus on crappy AK-47's.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:07:53 PM EDT
[#6]
There is no ban on magazines.

There is no ban on sporting rifles so AK type rifles can be imported they just have to be modified here in the US for high cap.

Receivers and barrels are being manufactured here in the US.

There are 10's of thousands of kits with barrels still available so you can still get one or more now if you really want one.

Why buy from a dealer that lies to you if you can get stuff off the internet for less?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:40:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Why buy from a dealer that lies to you if you can get stuff off the internet for less?

Amen to that one.  

At the last gun show that I went to, a dealer had a "pre-ban" (eta yeah right!) MAK-90 that had the original Chinese stock, pistol grip, the original Chi-com trigger, a shaved off bayonet lug, turned down barrel threads, etc. and was trying to pass the rifle off as pre-ban with a price tag of $750.  I know I posted this elsewhere, but, I wanted to make a point about dealer's lying, because he was flat out lying to me when he said it was pre-ban.  I asked him if he knew what the 93 in front of the serial number meant, and he told me that I did not know what I was talking about (i.e. I told him 1993 was when that gun cleared customs here in the US or something to that effect) and proceeded to go on and say that since it was made before the AWB of 1994, it was pre ban.  I asked him if he knew about the little law passed in 1989, and again he told me I did not know what I was talking about.  I just hope some fool who purchases that Norinco from him doesn't get burned by the BATF for having a non-compliant imported gun.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top