Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/18/2006 3:19:14 PM EDT
   I have been looking for a reason to get rid of this WASR-3 since I first got it. It is not as good looking as my two AK-74s. It is a bastard caliber as far as AKs go. I even had 4 FTF when I first fired it. It has more recoil and an extremely large muzzle blast as compared to my favorite AK-74. Well..... The darn thing has now gone through 500 plus rounds without a cleaning and zero FTF or FTE.
    Well.... I took it out to the shooting range saturday. I have a Belerus side mount on it with a Leupold 3 X 9 X 40 scope (was on my AR-15).  My ammo was the notoriously bad Wolf .223 55grain FMJ with polymer coated casing. I had to sight in the scope because the top rail had previously loosened. I shoot at paper plates at 50 yards to get her sighted in then move out to 100 yards. I was able to get about 20 shots in before the wind picked up and made target shooting impossible. I was up until that point getting about 1 MOA accuracy at 50 yards.
     I gave up on target shooting due to the wind and decided to shoot at some bright orange clay pidgeons that someone left on the dirt berm at the rear of the shooting range. There must have been 8 of them at about 110 yards away. I rested my homely WASR-3 across my gun case and pulled the trigger.... A huge smile crossed my face as the pidgeon shattered into pieces. I was able to get 7 out of 8 pidgeons with  one shot. I guess I will have to keep Misha now (just made that name up).

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:32:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry to read about the ugly range report!Misc
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:44:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Is that rail on top of the receiver cover stable and accurate?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:48:58 PM EDT
[#3]
looks like he is using a side mount for his optic

it can be removed and reinstalled with no loss of zero. about $40? to get one of those www.freedomoptics.com

i want one of the .223 guns, would be nice for when 5.45 and 7.62 are in short supply.
i was just trying to buy a WASR3 on EE this week. buyer decided he wanted to sale FTF instead. if anyone has a WASR 3 or SAR3 and wants to sell IM me

i wonder if the angled gas port, not 90*, on the WASR 3 will eventually be a problem with high velocity 223 like on the 5.45 guns?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:54:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Boma.... My WASR-3 has a side mount scope rail. CDNN has them for $39.00 I think. I bought the low rail version (you can't see open sights under it). It is stable after I loctited the Pictanny rail down.

Tactical.... The WASR-3 does have the 90* gas block. My Sar-2 and Romak 2 have the 45 degree gas block.

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:39:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I picked up a SAR3 recently NIB for $400. The only reason why I bought it was for the easy to find caliber.

I intend on making look identical to one of my SLR105s....... so for all intents and purposes it will be an AK74
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:15:23 PM EDT
[#6]
The tools that you don't mind scuffing up are the best kind.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:52:30 PM EDT
[#7]
glad everything is going good with your AK,..i have the same kind of scope mount,...but it is getting a cobra at a later date,.

can your rifle accecpt the hi-cap 5.56 / .223 mags?

i just saw where someone was getting rid of a few for a good price,...i cant use them as i am kinda stuck with the bulgarian waffles for my 5.56 mag needs.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 2:36:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Cruzie.....The WASR-3 uses Wieger 30 round mags. They cost about $14 at Interordinance. I like the ten rounder at the shooting range. It doesn't scare all the local bolt action shooters so much .
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:33:28 AM EDT
[#9]
The fact is that the WASR 3 if headspaced correctly is every bit as capable of accuracy as your AR15.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:19:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Mechanically, mine has worked well. I bought Weiger mags for it and havent had any problems with it.

Finish wise, it was as ugly as the day is long.

I completely disassembled it, stripped the wood, and sandblasted/sandpapered the metal. I stained the wood with minwax mohogany and topped that with spray-on minwax semi gloss polyurethane. I ended up doing the metal with Duracoat in HK black.

Nevertheless, my $300 rifle now looks like a millon bucks. I'd have pics, but my digicam shit the bed last week.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:08:40 PM EDT
[#11]
ARMIKEFMJ,

What kind of rings are you using with your scope? I've got the same type mount and have been looking for some decent rings.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:42:41 PM EDT
[#12]
AndrewB   The scope rings are Leupold Quick Release Rings..... About $50 if I remember correctly.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top