Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2006 8:56:45 AM EDT
I know of an amnesty registered type III milled dewat that may be for sale soon. The barrel was welded shut and is not useable, that is all the damage that was done. My question is were the barrel threads on the type III's timed? Would all I would have to do is buy a type III parts kit and swap out the barrels? My fear is that the barrel would be 180 degrees off and the gas port, front sight, etc, would have to be refitted. Any help would be appreciated!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:20:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes they are timed, but any decent AK smith can fix it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:31:44 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I know of an amnesty registered type III milled dewat that may be for sale soon. The barrel was welded shut and is not useable, that is all the damage that was done. My question is were the barrel threads on the type III's timed? Would all I would have to do is buy a type III parts kit and swap out the barrels? My fear is that the barrel would be 180 degrees off and the gas port, front sight, etc, would have to be refitted. Any help would be appreciated!

I have done this , ( on a semiauto milled gun) - and the threads are timed inconsistently , when i started out the barrel screwed in by hand to the 6:00 position, , so what i did was remove approx 20 thous. of a inch off barrel collar - until the barrel screwed into receiver to the 9:00 position , and then i used a brownells action wrench , to tighten it to the 12:00 position,  --  then i made sure the STRIPPED bolt would close on a live round , ( it was tight , but not so tight that it affects reliable function , and checked -w- hedspace guage ) ---   it is a easy job if you have the tools
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:06:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Your going to Re-active a Select fire  rifle by removing the pluged barrel???
I hope you have you paperwork done....If you do...Post some pics....
If you are just going to do it without Uncles permission......
Have fun getting ass raped in the pen
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:09:53 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Guess you missed reading comprehension in school...

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:56:08 PM EDT
[#5]
HEY    Stottman

To my comprehension ...
it sounds like he wants to get the amnesty rifle and then install a barrel.
So would not removing the pluged barrel and installing a working barrel defeat the purpose of plugging it to make it qualify for an amnesty???

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:33:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
HEY    Stottman

To my comprehension ...
it sounds like he wants to get the amnesty rifle and then install a barrel.
So would not removing the pluged barrel and installing a working barrel defeat the purpose of plugging it to make it qualify for an amnesty???

The rifle was registered in the amnesty, so its already in the registry as a dewatt. Luckily for him, they did it just by busting up the barrel(Better than the receiver!)

No need to yell at stottman   He seems to know what he's talkin about.

And to the original guy, ya, a good ak smith could easily put a new barrel in it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:51:58 PM EDT
[#7]
OK   so I'm
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:50:46 PM EDT
[#8]
This does not seem legal to me. If this is registrered as a dewat it is supposed to be deactivated not re-built. i would ask a lawyer and/or the ATF just to be safe. Aren't dewats supposed to have the barrel lugged and then welded to the receiver?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:45:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Registered dewatts can be reactivated on a form 1.. Thats one of the many reasons why finding a dewatt is so rare.. There is no need to keep them as a dewatt.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:49:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

So I was right...about the paperwork part
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:57:24 AM EDT
[#11]
To everyone that replied with answers to my technical questions thank you. To the other guy who threw his 2 cents in, I am fully aware of ATF laws and the status of DEWAT's in the registry and how to legally re-activate them. I only asked for technical help because that is all I needed. This weapon isn't even for sale yet. I just wanted to get an idea what it would take to get it functional again, besides a form I and a $200 tax stamp AFTER it is transferred to me as a DEWAT. As for your "Have fun getting ass raped in the pen" comment, do you know from experience that it is fun?
Once again thanks to everyone who contributed something useful, and if I wind up the owner of this fine weapon I will post pics.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:51:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, that ass rape comment seems a little wild. Open mouth, insert foot. LOL
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:19:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Can anyone please explain dewat and no I don't want to get ass-raped...

AC
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:19:52 AM EDT
[#14]
DEWAT=De-activated war trophy
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top