Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/12/2006 7:05:25 PM EDT
Just wondering what the gas residue goes to since the gas piston is there. With all the hoopla's on Gas pistoned AR's promising the AK reliability and less cleaning, I am wondering where the blow by gas end up on other pistoned guns like the M1a and AK's.

Thanks.

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:11:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:18:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't think so. Never noticed any residue there. The only discoloration of any kind I've ever noticed under the handguards is from the barrel heating against the wood.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:33:19 PM EDT
[#3]
If the AK vents the gas into the receiver area, then how come it does not get as dirty as the AR?(Or does it simply not make a difference in reliability when it does?)
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:41:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I've never handled any AR over a long enough period of time to make any comparison, but I do know that plenty of powder/gas residue builds up in my reciever, and especially on the inside of the reciever cover after a good day of shooting.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:19:38 PM EDT
[#5]
The AK vents the gas out of the gas tube.  You will either have holes in the gas tube itself, or little scalloped cut-outs in the gas chamber where the gas tube meets the gas chamber.  Either way, most of the gas vents to atmosphere as the piston is flying back.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:46:09 AM EDT
[#6]
I've fired a couple thousand rounds through my SAR1 without malfunction so far, and that's nothing compared to what others have done. Don't need to worry about these guns getting dirty!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:44:14 AM EDT
[#7]
are you talking about the upper or lower handgaurd.
the upper handgaurd on mine does not get dirty however the lower gets extreamly filty
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:03:05 PM EDT
[#8]
wat he said.  most, if not all the gas is released after pushing the piston via the gas tube.  cause once the pistol moves back past the gas tube, the gas exits out the holes.

Quoted:
The AK vents the gas out of the gas tube.  You will either have holes in the gas tube itself, or little scalloped cut-outs in the gas chamber where the gas tube meets the gas chamber.  Either way, most of the gas vents to atmosphere as the piston is flying back.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:06:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Inside the receiver does become pretty dirty at about the same rate as the AR.  It doesn't affect the performance at all is the difference.  Eventually when an AR is shot to hell without cleaning it's reliability will probably start to faulter, although not as much as some would guess (this coming from those over in the SandBox who've witnessed this).  The AK *shouldn't ever be affected by this, which is why cleaning is never required other than to keep the rifle looking nice and the bore in good condition.

-mark

*I say shouldn't because the problems that anyone ever has is 99.99% builder error.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:09:35 PM EDT
[#10]
i disagree.  AK's vent the gas after pushing the piston.  AR's channel the gas right into the reciever to push the bolt.  BIG DIFFERENCE.  combined a/AR's tight tolerances=bad company.

Quoted:
Inside the receiver does become pretty dirty at about the same rate as the AR.  It doesn't affect the performance at all is the difference.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top