Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2006 4:32:00 PM EDT
I got a Century WASR and can't get the buttstock to budge. I took out the screws, pulled on it, hit hit with a rubber mallet, tried to knock it out with a dowel and a hammer...but it won't budge. Anyone got any ideas on what else I can try? Thx/
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:31:24 PM EDT
[#1]
With the Romanian rear tang, there should be a circle cut out on the top. Take out the recoil spring as it will be in the way.  You will be able to see the small part of the rear stock through the circle. Take a good size screwdriver and stick it in the circle and pry the butt stock out. If you gouge the wood a bit, dont worry, as this part is hidden when the stock is installed. Good luck. Scroll down on this page to see what im talking about.

www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/furnitureremoval2.htm
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:38:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Just remove the reciever cover and the spring, you should see a hole where there is just enough space to wedge a flathead screwdriver in front of the buttstock. With the stock screws removed, just give the screwdriver a nice hard jerk and the stock will pop backwards. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:39:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks. My receiver is completely open....no hole for screwdriver leverage. I'll keep trying.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:49:40 PM EDT
[#4]
ultimak.com/AKStockR&R.htm#butt

This should definitely help. Figure 2.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:04:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's my receiver...no hole in the rear trunnion.
http://pic17.picturetrail.com/VOL796/3670896/7563284/133055004.jpg
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:25:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Take your screwdriver and put the tip against the pistol grip nut and pry the buttstock out.  It may just work.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:15:42 AM EDT
[#7]
I tried that too...didn't work. I'm going to put the rifle in a vise and just keep beating on it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:45:26 AM EDT
[#8]
If you have a chest or upright freezer put the rifle in and let it set for a couple of hours.  Take it out, put it in a vise, heat the rear of the receiver up just a bit with a propane torch and then wack the buttstock with your hand or a rubber mallet from different angles and it should come out.

If not, with the rifle in the vise use a socket extension placed into the receiver up against the toe of the buttstock near the pistol grip nut (may need to remove the pistol grip and nut)  and tap the socket extension with the mallet.  It will come out.

Before trying to tap the buttstock out, remove the bolt carrier and the selector from the rifle and then you can get the right angle to insert the socket extension into the receiver on an angle.  Do not use a screwdriver blade to do this or you will split the laminated wood.  Do not pry with a screwdriver between the buttstock and receiver/rear tang from the outside or you will split the laminations (in the picture it looks like you already tried to do it)
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:28:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Aub....You totally have a hole in the top of the rear tang. Its more of a half round, but stick a screwdriver in that space where you see the end of the butt stock, and pry it out. Use the part with the hex screw in it as the wedge, or is that a rivet?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:49:43 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Aub....You totally have a hole in the top of the rear tang. Its more of a half round, but stick a screwdriver in that space where you see the end of the butt stock, and pry it out. Use the part with the hex screw in it as the wedge, or is that a rivet?

That is the pistol grip nut.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:53:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Here's is my free advice.  

1. Take off your pistol grip, screw and nut.
2. Take a 3/8" socket extension put female end on the end of the buttstock from the inside of the  
   receiver.
3. Take hammer and wack the (hell out of) sock extension on the male end.

the stock should pop off or loose up enough to pull it off.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:01:49 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Here's is my free advice.  

1. Take off your pistol grip, screw and nut.
2. Take a 3/8" socket extension put female end on the end of the buttstock from the inside of the  
   receiver.
3. Take hammer and wack the (hell out of) sock extension on the male end.

the stock should pop off or loose up enough to pull it off.

Damn, I thought that was what I said

If not, with the rifle in the vise use a socket extension placed into the receiver up against the toe of the buttstock near the pistol grip nut (may need to remove the pistol grip and nut) and tap the socket extension with the mallet. It will come out.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:48:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Success! I went to Lowes and got a new punch, and then beat the Hell out of it. I thought the wood was about to split, but then it finally came loose. No damage to the outside of the stock, except for a couple of minor chips that can be sanded out. The receiver end is pretty beat up...but who cares. Thanks to all.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 2:28:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Sometimes it seems that they compress really, really dry wood and insert it into the receiver real quick before it swells back into shape!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top