Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2006 11:02:16 AM EDT
One can only dream!  Anyway, here are some pics my brother sent me from Iraq of captureed weapons.  There are some real goodies in there.  I'm sure they're all melted down by now.  The picture was taken last fall.      

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f378/aalmcc4/4717-R1-10-13A.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f378/aalmcc4/4717-R1-13-10A.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f378/aalmcc4/4717-R1-12-11A.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f378/aalmcc4/4717-R1-07-16A.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f378/aalmcc4/4717-R1-14-9A.jpg
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:48:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm always amazed to see so many with the stocks removed. Morons.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 12:19:41 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

The G3 sans stock in the last picture is especially hilarious.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:23:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Ican see a Russian type 2 , with the stock removed ,  damn shame some of the guys cant take souvies !
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:29:19 PM EDT
[#4]

Is Iraq a new source for parts kits?  

Yeah Right...........lol
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:36:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Even if they weren't all destroyed the Bush Barrel Ban would prevent importation of useful kits.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:55:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Even if they weren't all destroyed the Bush Barrel Ban would prevent importation of useful kits.

That's true.  One would think it could be a source for mags and furniture though.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:24:19 PM EDT
[#7]
i got a few ppl over there....trying to get s stack of stocksets......
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:37:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm digging all those RPG's and the RPD's yummy

I think i see an IAN at the end of his name tag, Hye es? You Armenian? McM
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:15:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Very cool pics indeed.  You can tell that the guns we would all love and cherish are simply tools in Iraq.  Of course, many of the locals shooting at our troops are Tools as well!  I still haven't seen a stockless RPK or PKM, but I'll bet there are a few over there.  A Romy PSL with no stock and an AK pistol grip, with or without scope, would really crack me up!
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:59:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Cool pics
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:56:12 AM EDT
[#11]
I've got a buddy heading over to Iraq on a PSD contract.  While he has experience with American weapons, he didn't have any with the AK or the Browning HP, which are what he was told he'd be issued.   So we went out to the range with a fixed stock and underfolder AK.  It was the first time I'd fired an underfolder and it was actually more comfortable than I had thought it would be.  I had to borrow this one as mine is still sitting at Jnewt .  Anyway, just for shits and grins, we tried shooting it with the stock folded.  First of all, you can't move the selector to fire with the stock folded except with great difficulty.  I kind of appreciate a design that makes you extend the stock if you want to shoot .  I tried holding it up to eye level and using the sights, but no stock.  You can do it.  For close targets, but it is much slower than shooting with a stock.  I also inadvertently discovered that because of the loose hold, it'll bump fire pretty easily.  Since the Iraqi AKs all have the go fast option, bump firing isn't anything other than a malfunction, but it was still interesting.

Bottom line however, is that I am over-joyed that our enemies seem to like this handy modification.  I'd like to see them do it to all their weapons.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:13:33 AM EDT
[#12]
yeah, anything that makes my friends and family harder to hit is a plus!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:39:06 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Cool pics

+1
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:41:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Those are pretty cool pics indeed.  If the 1919A6 and that German MG-42 could talk, they could tell some tales, as those haven't been mfg'd since WW2 by anybody.  I have a friend up in AFG who send some pics recently of some booty they uncovered, 72 AKS folders of various countries of origin, along with some other goods.  It is definitely a plunderers dream to be over there.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:53:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Looks alot like the flea market of my dreams....
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:04:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Could a stockless Draganov be a option over there ?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:16:35 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Those are pretty cool pics indeed.  If the 1919A6 and that German MG-42 could talk, they could tell some tales, as those haven't been mfg'd since WW2 by anybody.  I have a friend up in AFG who send some pics recently of some booty they uncovered, 72 AKS folders of various countries of origin, along with some other goods.  It is definitely a plunderers dream to be over there.

I'm pretty sure that the Germans continued to make a somewhat modernized version of the MG-42 in .308 after the war.  Also, I think the Yugoslavs made a version of it post WWII.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:04:13 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm pretty sure that the Germans continued to make a somewhat modernized version of the MG-42 in .308 after the war.  Also, I think the Yugoslavs made a version of it post WWII.

Well, I know the 1919 went to Nam, I have pics of my father with one, not sure, but I think they must have still been making them in the early '60s at least?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:49:08 AM EDT
[#19]
I don't think the 1919's were mfg by the US after the Korean War at the latest.  In the early 60's the M60 was being developed and such, and yes, the MG-42 was turned into what is called the MG-3 except in 7.62 NATO caliber.  It is still found in 7.92 cal, but most of the ones I've seen were original WW2 guns, with parts converted to fire the NATO rd, I believe the Pakis and Indians still use the MG-3 to some extent.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:47:25 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I don't think the 1919's were mfg by the US after the Korean War at the latest.  In the early 60's the M60 was being developed and such, and yes, the MG-42 was turned into what is called the MG-3 except in 7.62 NATO caliber.  It is still found in 7.92 cal, but most of the ones I've seen were original WW2 guns, with parts converted to fire the NATO rd, I believe the Pakis and Indians still use the MG-3 to some extent.

I saw on CNN a few days ago, a video of a few Pakis in the back of an SUV with a MG3 on top ....the rest of the guys there had G3's.........the finnish on all the guns was bare they damn near looked crome
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:02:35 PM EDT
[#21]
The 1919s were sold to Israel , and they converted them from 30-06 to 308/7.62X51 NATO. They also may have put on the buttstock/bi-pod & carry handle. Many of the new semi 1919's on the market today are rebuilt from the Israeli guns that were demilled and sold back to us as kits.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:31:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:55:15 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
The 1919s were sold to Israel , and they converted them from 30-06 to 308/7.62X51 NATO. They also may have put on the buttstock/bi-pod & carry handle. Many of the new semi 1919's on the market today are rebuilt from the Israeli guns that were demilled and sold back to us as kits.

Don't ya just love the "system"?
Uncle Sugar at his finest!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:03:57 PM EDT
[#24]
i was over the same time as your brother,... i do belive thats a CAV patch on his arm,...we where at least in the same div. and around baghdad about the same time,..give him a beer for me will ya?

if i do go back to iraq you can belive im going to get as much stuff home as i can,...hell if i can find a band saw that will fit in a duffle bag i'll be set,..just no recivers or barrels

and i thought the barrel ban was on the books for a while,..before Bush was elected

a PSL without a stock is not practical at all,...theres no hole for a pistol grip nut,..but if you really wanted to you could put a normal butt stock and PG on it

and while i was there it was the IP's (iraqi police) that liked to remove there butt stocks,....the three AK's we got off insurgents all had there stocks,...all though only one was a regular fixed stock.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:11:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Iraqi parts kits, no. All Ak, PKC/M, SVD and Rpgs we captured where turned over to be issued to Iraqi security forces.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:50:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Post WWII Germany mfg'd the MG-3, Yugo version is MG74.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:38:42 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

What's the problem?  They are just big fans of AK pistols and they just haven't gotten around to chopping up the barrels yet.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:31:29 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's the problem?  They are just big fans of AK pistols and they just haven't gotten around to chopping up the barrels yet.

LOL Plus, it's more work than hacking a stock.

I really wish we could get Iraqi AK parts kits. It's really too bad.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top