Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2006 8:26:22 PM EDT
I went by Academy today and picked up a basket at the door and went and filled it with 7.62x39mm "Monarch" brand made by Barnaul.  I got 1K rounds for 154.80 out the door.  A little high price wise but it is new, FMJ like I wanted and so close by.  Lacquered cases, sealant at both ends and shoots good.  I got no lip for buying so much ammo, the lady piled it into two piles and double bagged each pile for me.    
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 12:17:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Where is this 'Academy' you speak of?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 12:55:16 AM EDT
[#2]
This particular sports store is in Plano, Texas.  I think Academy Sports and Outdoors is a chain sports store.  All ammo is on self serve shelves.  Fill your basket and take it to the counter!
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:58:59 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Where is this 'Academy' you speak of?

http://www.academy.com/

My son works at the Plano store that is at 75 & Spring Creek.

Can you say "Employee discount" on ammo ??

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:27:01 AM EDT
[#4]
No Academy here.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:17:30 PM EDT
[#5]
There was a gun show here this weekend as well so I went by there today.  No ammo to be gotten except way overpriced one guy had. On the way home I just stopped by Academy and bought another (200) rounds while I was out and in a "getting ammo" mood.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:43:00 PM EDT
[#6]
No Academy here either but we have two WalMart stores and they BOTH carry Winchester white box 7.62x39 forty round value packs.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:44:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
No Academy here.hinking.gif

Where in TN? I know there are a couple of Academy stores in Nashville.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:50:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

http://www.academy.com/

My son works at the Plano store that is at 75 & Spring Creek.

Can you say "Employee discount" on ammo ??

A guy working at the one in Little Rock told me they don't get a discount on ammo, just on guns. Guess it may differ from store to store.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:57:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I was in that particular Plano store twice this weekend.  I did leave some on the shelf though for others, there must have been at least (500) left after I got through with them!
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:57:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I also looked at some Monarch ammo at the Oklahoma city store. One question,is that red bullet sealent going to be a problem building up after firing it alot? That's why I didn't get some last weekend.
Don't know what to think about that red sealent.
I have no experience with that type of ammo.
Perhaps somebody will chime in soon.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:23:56 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
No Academy here either but we have two WalMart stores and they BOTH carry Winchester white box 7.62x39 forty round value packs.

Yeah, for around $18 each here. Ouch.

Mmm...filling a cart with 7.62x39. Strangely, the very thought is...mmm.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:24:44 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I also looked at some Monarch ammo at the Oklahoma city store. One question,is that red bullet sealent going to be a problem building up after firing it alot? That's why I didn't get some last weekend.
Don't know what to think about that red sealent.
I have no experience with that type of ammo.
Perhaps somebody will chime in soon.

The sealer around the bullet and primer is Mil-Spec for long term storage. Will not cause any problems other than having a few flakes to blow out of the action after a range session. Can leave a ring on the bolt face also but that cleans up easy with a bronze brush.

Hootbro
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:37:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah it's not like cleaning that crap out of my AR.
Gotta love the AK

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:25:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Went to the gun show this weekend and found some 7.62x39. 500 rounds for $70hey
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:28:32 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
No Academy here.hinking.gif

Where in TN? I know there are a couple of Academy stores in Nashville.

Academy in Cool Springs had about 18 / 500 rd. cases on Friday.  I shot some yesterday and it seems to be pretty decent ammo.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top