Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/11/2006 7:35:09 AM EDT
How can I meet compliance without messing with the trigger/hammer?  I have tried to drift the pin out of the bolt carrier to maybe get a US gas piston but it won't budge.  It is a straight cut receiver with a pistol grip.  Can I use 1-pistol grip, 2-buttstock, and 3-4both upper and lower handguards as 4 out of 5?  I've got a US muzzle break on the way.......thanks for any suggestions
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:26:59 AM EDT
[#1]
You are incorrect as to your parts count as the handguards only count as 1 part together.

A complete stockset Handguards, pistol grip, buttstock will count as (3) three parts.

Replacement of magazine parts in every mag you put into the rifle (follower and mag baseplate) will count as two (2) parts and you will be good to go with those 5 parts as long as you don't have a muzzle device.  

If you do have a muzzle device make sure it is a US part and you won't have to change out anymore parts.  

You can get the stockset that will look good and fit from Ironwood designs.

Another site to get the Ironwood Design stocksets but a bit cheaper is Volunteer Ordnance Works

It would be cheaper to install a TAPCO double hook G2 FCG and the mag parts though.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:29:58 AM EDT
[#2]
HG counts as one piece, even if it is upper and lower. In the do-it-yourself section there are a couple walk-throughs on how to change the gas piston. Also, if you have a stamped rifle with a threaded muzzle you need 6 US parts, not 5. So, you've got--PG, HG, Buttstock, Muzzle device. You can go for gas piston as #5, or you can go #5 and 6 in US Floorplates and followers in the mags. At this point those are the only options  I am aware of. Good Luck.

ETA: I would also add that the best route for US wooden stocks is Ironwood directly. I bought from VOW, and it was okay. I had to do a lot of finish work to get my stock set down to a proper size. I didn't mind though; there was a snafu, and it took forever to get my stock set, for which Dan, the owner refunded half my purchase price and my shipping cost. So I ended up with a Maple Ironwood Designs set for about $30. I'd imagine that the Ironwood sets don't require as much final fitting work.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:40:33 AM EDT
[#3]
There are a couple of builders that will change out your piston for you for I believe $15.00 and shipping.  It was posted awhile ago.  You could contact -Duke-Nukem- and see what he charges.  

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 12:05:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks Guys.......I think I'm going to go with the trigger group and grip/stock and and forget about the mags and gas piston.  I've got too many mags to add followers and floorpaltes.  Great advice and thanks again.  
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 12:12:14 PM EDT
[#5]
That pin that secures the piston is mashed out into a recess in the carrier. Need to drill one end of it before you can knock it out.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:45:41 PM EDT
[#6]
US Magazine floorplates and followers are a cheap way to get two more US parts.  Falcon Arms has good ones.  
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:41:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
US Magazine floorplates and followers are a cheap way to get two more US parts.  Falcon Arms has good ones.  

+1 on F.A. mag parts. I just hate to remove a nice smooth FCG for parts count. You can go the furniture route like everybody said which gives you 3, then  followers/floorplates.But you said you have lots of mags...And to be legal you will always have to use those mags.
Kvar has bolt carriers with US gas pistons already installed but they cost 75 bucks.
But they are black which is pretty cool I bought one for my Sam7.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:29:41 PM EDT
[#8]
The G2 FCG feels nearly identical to the factory FCG in the two Mc90's I've had experience with. Single or double hook.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:15:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't agree. I put a G2 in a MAK90 I had and I thought the take up was longer and the let off was not as crisp as the stock parts on the two ones I had.
The G2 is well made and smooth I'll give you that. And If you're wanting to rid yourself of  trigger slap that's the way to go.

But I just don't like to change out one like I said above for the stupid 922r. law
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:31:11 PM EDT
[#10]
As said above drill out one side of carrier at piston pin location and it will come out. Bought a spare carrier and us made piston and bolt and had about 60 bucks in it and in less than an hour with hand tools got it together. If you look you can find tutorials to help. It wasn't that tough and have a spare setup now. I bought another carrier in case I screwed up and so that I can slip on a Romy folder and have 922 compliance while keeping the original carrier ass. intact.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top