Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/9/2006 5:16:55 PM EDT
Hello AK side, I need some help finding info on a preban Maadi.

I was reading something on another website about certain Maadi AK's having full auto carriers in them. According to the site there were some imported in this configuration.

I have a few questions that I would really appreciate your thoughts/comments on..basically I want to know how to identify one of these as the real thing.

Is there a serial number range - or prefix etc. - that would put a particular Maadi AK in this category?

What about markings on the receiver?

Is there a specific configuration or features that are inherrent in this particular Maadi AK?

And finally, what should I expect to pay for one of these NIB?

I know it's a lot of questions, I'm an AR guy mostly, but I want one of these AK's and a local in PA may have one for sale soon.

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:25:07 PM EDT
[#1]
All of the kits you see around have FA bolt carriers...Its not a distinct feature like in the AR's.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:38:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I belive what you read about the Maddi's is. There were a handfull imported that were, complete full auto rifles.. I have seen one, it was on a gunstore rack, and the shop owner had no clue..

There were a few other types that simply had the auto sear hole, in the receiver.. But some of the Maddi's were, complete, with trip, and all.. The ATF has confiscated most of them..
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:40:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info guys.

Is there a pic somewhere of semi auto vs. full auto AK parts?

I want to make sure this rifle is alright before I buy it and I don't know what to look for.

I took some pics of the rifle and a close up of the receiver markings. This one is identical to the one I'm buying.

The guy has one still in the wooden box, he bought them together, so it's essentially the same weapon, only with different serial numbers. They came in the box but not fully assembled. This is how they were sold originally.

I'll  post them here once I get them off my digital camera.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:43:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Look at this post....chinese AK
Look at the reciver above the magazine latch...You'll see that there are 3 pins...
From right to left Trigger pin...Hammer pin and auto sear pin...You do not want to see 3 but only 2..
Do a Google search for the rest...
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:17:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Like uxo2 said, the third hole is all that matters. It doesnt matter if it has a full auto carrier or not, makes no difference. Every kit build out there has the original carrier, and I doubt any smiths bother with milling off the tab. I know mine didnt. Without a sear to trip a full auto carrier is identical to a semi in function.

Dont worry about the carrier.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:48:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the help and the link. Here's a few pics of the rifle I saw a few weeks ago, I don't see the extra pin like in the Chinese AK pic but I could be wrong.

Maybee you guys know better, tell me what you think...

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:14:56 PM EDT
[#7]
If you are surprised to hear that almost all kit-built AKs have their original FA carrier, wait 'til you find out they are all shipped with ALL of their FA parts!!!  

Please don't take this to mean I would EVER think of f*cking around with anything illegal, that's for damn sure!!  I would also never advise it.  I fired a FA AK once a long time ago and it's nothing special.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:35:25 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If you are surprised to hear that almost all kit-built AKs have their original FA carrier, wait 'til you find out they are all shipped with ALL of their FA parts!!!  

Please don't take this to mean I would EVER think of f*cking around with anything illegal, that's for damn sure!!  I would also never advise it.  I fired a FA AK once a long time ago and it's nothing special.  

I hear you, I'm trying to understand the difference in parts in the AK's so I don't end up with forbidden fruit myself. I wasn't sure if this Maadi AK was semi only because of the way the guy said it had a full auto carrier, but now I get it. As far as I can tell it's OK.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:46:58 AM EDT
[#9]
That rifle is good to go...A semi-auto...
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:35:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Hey, a little OT here, but anyone know where I can find any sort of template that shows where the Auto detent goes on a receiver?  Like I said, I've got a Pole UF and want to add the Auto position and the "C" and "P".  
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:38:01 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

And on top of that, they arent imported to our country as kits. They come in as the REAL DEAL. They are demilled once they come to port.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:31:47 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Hey, a little OT here, but anyone know where I can find any sort of template that shows where the Auto detent goes on a receiver?  Like I said, I've got a Pole UF and want to add the Auto position and the "C" and "P".  

I dont know of a template, but if you just want the selector position, take off the top cover, move the selector up until the tab inside is almost to the trigger, and thats where the selector would have to be in a FA gun. Like right before the tab blocks the trigger.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:48:08 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
That rifle is good to go...A semi-auto...

Cool, thanks again uxo2.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:18:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I dont know of a template, but if you just want the selector position, take off the top cover, move the selector up until the tab inside is almost to the trigger, and thats where the selector would have to be in a FA gun. Like right before the tab blocks the trigger.

well that shows I'm not totally stupid.  That's the point I'm stuck at.  I'm just not sure how I can make the mark and have it look just like the original.  I think I'll grind down a metal chisel so that one whack with a hammer will get the desired notch.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:43:58 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

well that shows I'm not totally stupid.  That's the point I'm stuck at.  I'm just not sure how I can make the mark and have it look just like the original.  I think I'll grind down a metal chisel so that one whack with a hammer will get the desired notch.  

Yeah, I'm not really sure how to make a good notch there. I'd probably attempt some fancy dremel work. Maybe some others guys have other ideas.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:40:35 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

not to steal your idea clange but...

JosephR, I do not know if he was kidding, but  Steve Sawyer told me he used a dremel to cut the safety selector markings on my AK. You can practice on a piece of scrap steel until you're comfortable to do this on your AK.

Mikie
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top