Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/9/2006 4:48:49 PM EDT
Just wanted to get some feedback and find out what ya'll think about the Norinco MAK-90.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:50:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd give it a 3 out of 5 stars.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:04:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a MAK-90.  I haven't shot it enough so far.  (25 rounds).  But it's a solid gun.  It did jam up on me 3 times.  I think it's because of a faulty magazine or some other reason.

I'm sure it will function better since I just oiled it now.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:07:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't have any experience of the MAK-90,

My Norinco is a Type-56S

OK :
The Wood is the cheapest, nastiest wood I have ever seen on a rifle. It dents, and if you heat the rifle up the varnish blisters quickly. The stock to reciever fit leaves a 2mm Gap.
The Bolt and Insides still have tooling marks all over, appear to have been assembled by a blind man.

in short VERY VERY CHEAPLY MADE.
However one of my favourate rifles, is goodly accurate (for an AK) and has never failed to function. Have fired 10,000+ rounds from mine without stoppage.
Lent the rifle to a 'friend' when I got it back I couldn't open the rifle, the Operating rod was jammed in the Gas Tube, bashed it out, gave the tube and rod a clean with a pot scrubber to get rid of the rust and Powder. Good as new.

I Love this rifle.

PS. Yes that's Special Tactical Rope I use as sling.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:08:38 PM EDT
[#4]
...The NORINCO MAK 90 are very nice shooter...If you see 1 in good condition, and with a good price...Buy It !! ............................................................................And if you are really lucky, you might get your hands on a NORINCO "Sporter", it looks just like a MAK 90. But they are really Poly Technology AKS that were Reconfigured to Sporter rifles a la MAK-90.                            

The dead give-away on these "MAKs" are : 1) Intact cleaning rod attachment

2) A cap is soldered on the muzzle with Intact threads

3) Intact bayonet hooks, thus allowing this "Sporter"  to take a bayonet

4)BTW............they came with a Spring Loaded Firing Pin
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:20:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Recently neglected to buy at $250 in good condition, now I'm kicking myself.  Great guns ther are reliable and serve thier purpose well.  $400 or under take it.  Polytechs draw 2X that.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:31:14 PM EDT
[#6]
My first AK was a MAK-90, with the butthole stock and neutered front end, and I thought it was twice the rifle of my friend's Mini-14. It shot great, never jammed and was just an all 'round good rifle for a very nice price. I'm in the process of getting one to replace it as we speak(yes, I stupidly sold it years ago... ).
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:02:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I think they're a very good quality AK.  I've had mine for several years.  I eventually put a tapco g2 fcg and kvar stock and like it even better.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:10:47 PM EDT
[#8]
If you are getting one for less than $400.00 and it has the straight backend receiver then they are a good rifle.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:06:39 PM EDT
[#9]
SOLID
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:26:55 PM EDT
[#10]
t-a-g
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:31:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I love mine, they have been through hell and back and still keep going and going.  Fired untill the HG's started charcoaling, and you could light a cigarette off the barrel.  

Main bitch about them is actually a good thing, rhe receivers are 1.5mm instead of 1mm on the stamped ones.  it is a pain fitting aftermarket stocks.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:30:14 PM EDT
[#12]
No complaints here. I've had 2. Sold them in the late 90s for financial reasons, but picked up a couple NHM90s since for the muzzle threads and straight cut receiver. Wouldn't hesitate to get another MAK.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:43:27 PM EDT
[#13]
i noticed they are much heavier than the romanians.  heavy reciever, heavy barrel.  walked into a shop with $ in my pocket to buy, but for some reason the owner was not in the mood to sell that day.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:16:23 AM EDT
[#14]
daz wat i'm talking about.  those 1.0mm stamped euro guns feel like crap (a cheap paperweight) compared to the MAKs & other chinese AKs.  wonder y he didn't sell to u....  do u look like osama?  ;-)

Quoted:
i noticed they are much heavier than the romanians.  heavy reciever, heavy barrel.  walked into a shop with $ in my pocket to buy, but for some reason the owner was not in the mood to sell that day.  

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 12:11:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Liked the one I had.  Wish I had not sold it.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 2:06:10 PM EDT
[#16]
I have 2 which I have evilized.
Awesome. I love 'em. Of course I have never had an AK I didn't like and I have sold none.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 2:17:25 PM EDT
[#17]
My opinion

Pros
1.6 receiver
Built well
Tend to have nice furniture
Decent prices

Cons
Blued insted of parked
heavier than Eastern bloc AK
dont like the folding bayonet (type 56 style)
hooded sight (I like the open ears)
no scope mount
short butt stock
accessory compatability
chrome bolt (I dont like the shinny finish)

I think thats it
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top