Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/2/2006 9:27:07 AM EDT
So, finally, after hours of pounding, drilling, grinding, filing, riveting it's time to put the barrel back in. Unfortunately, we had no idea how to do it. In short, we crush the receiver.

So it goes. I am prepared to cut it apart and start over. I'm having a great time. There is a body & fender man there who wants a shot at the receiver first. Why not? After a few minutes with a soft hammer, torch and wet rag, he hands me a straight receiver.

I'm skeptical, but curious. The rifle is together, and I'm going to bungie it to a tire, attach a cord to the trigger and give it a few yanks, just to see what happens.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:43:20 AM EDT
[#1]
If it hand cycles, I would put that bad boy right up to my shoulder and crank off a few rounds.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:00:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't go to the trouble of strapping it to a tire, just hold it away from your face for a few rounds, then shoulder it up.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:46:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey Bunny, Charlie got his running yesterday morning also, Mark had to take the rototool to it in a few spots, but it is shooting just fine,( lots of big holes in my backyard right now)  Im finishing mine up right now also. I think I want to find some longer pins for the FCG though, they seem to be just a tad short.  I think from this point on we dont do anymore painting until after we test fire them, Charlie kinda did some dinging up for the final finishing.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:48:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
So, finally, after hours of pounding, drilling, grinding, filing, riveting it's time to put the barrel back in. Unfortunately, we had no idea how to do it. In short, we crush the receiver.

So it goes. I am prepared to cut it apart and start over. I'm having a great time. There is a body & fender man there who wants a shot at the receiver first. Why not? After a few minutes with a soft hammer, torch and wet rag, he hands me a straight receiver.

I'm skeptical, but curious. The rifle is together, and I'm going to bungie it to a tire, attach a cord to the trigger and give it a few yanks, just to see what happens.

LOL
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:52:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

LOL

I don't drink, so hold my diet coke and watch this....
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:56:54 PM EDT
[#6]
BTW: any of you thinking about the dry ice method....

It dont work for shit.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:57:22 PM EDT
[#7]

I don't drink, so hold my cane, cigar, or latte and watch this....

Fixed it for you
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:03:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
BTW: any of you thinking about the dry ice method....

It dont work for shit.

Whoever recommended that owes me ten bucks.

Quoted:
I don't drink, so hold my cane, cigar, or latte and watch this....

Fixed it for you

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:18:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

You mean like this:

ETA:  Just for the record, the ak on the table with the tapco stock is not mine, it belongs to another arfcommer, who will remain nameless to protect the guilty.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:56:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

You mean like this:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/Brian_in_Pullman/Guns/DSCF0145.jpg

ETA:  Just for the record, the ak on the table with the tapco stock is not mine, it belongs to another arfcommer, who will remain nameless to protect the guilty.

That is a pretty snazzy testing facility you have there.

BTW: You are protecting a menace to society.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:50:59 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You mean like this:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/Brian_in_Pullman/Guns/DSCF0145.jpg

That is a pretty snazzy testing facility you have there.

BTW: You are protecting a menace to society.

That is way too much work...
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:56:47 PM EDT
[#12]
lol thats pretty hi-speed,.. i just held it out at arms distance,...looked away,..grimmiced, closed my eyes,. said a prayer,. and squezed the trigger
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:03:05 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
lol thats pretty hi-speed,.. i just held it out at arms distance,...looked away,..grimmiced, closed my eyes,. said a prayer,. and squezed the trigger

I just handed mine to DaBunny, and said " You should see how nice this one shoots!"...
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:07:21 AM EDT
[#14]
I tied my WASR to a tree once then ducked behind a snowplow with a string ont he trigger. It didnt K-boom and I was happy.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:01:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Bunny, see this thread on a pretty slick method of pressing the barrel back in.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=51&t=83276
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:03:24 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
That is way too much work...

We only did that because headspace gauges said that rifle had excessive headspace (it closed on the no go gauge).  The rifle seems to work and the fired cases look ok.

I fired the first one I finished with out checking it since the gauges had not arrived yet.  I did shoot it from the hip though as the kit did not have matching numbers.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:56:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Heh, so Bunny you spread the dreaded black rifle disease to unsuspecting innocents then proceed to dabble in the dark arts (AK Building).  There is a 'special' place for people like you.

I just today finished up my 1st Romy build, I have a press and puched the barrel out, and had read all the easy ways to get it back in.  I saw I had some galling on mine when it came out, so I emeried it smooth, greased it up, and it would just barely start and then get very tight.  I put the barrel in the frezzer over night.  Phffffft, all that did was make my crotch cold when I held it between my legs to hold it while I polished it more.   It did go in, I moly greased both surfaces, ran it in as far as it would go by hand hand hammered it in using a plastic hammer on the muzzle.  Went in easier than it came out at least.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:56:48 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Heh, so Bunny you spread the dreaded black rifle disease to unsuspecting innocents then proceed to dabble in the dark arts (AK Building).  There is a 'special' place for people like you.

HawkSprings in the house?...Really too bad you dont live a little closer, Bunny and I have been having a Great time building these rifles!...Bunny dont know it yet, but he will be learning to Fly R/C  as soon as the cold weather breaks.

I guess I better drop in and see how the other kids are doing.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:42:05 PM EDT
[#19]
WooHoo! I survived!

It took a little grease on the rails to feed the hollow points, but it ate 200 rounds. By the second hundred it was running smoothly. It even hits what it's aimed at.

This is way cool. I'm gonna play with more kits.

Heh, so Bunny you spread the dreaded black rifle disease to unsuspecting innocents then proceed to dabble in the dark arts (AK Building). There is a 'special' place for people like you.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:26:18 PM EDT
[#20]

HawkSprings in the house?.

Yeah, you guys can't have all the fun.

..Really too bad you don't live a little closer...

But then again if we all did live closer and I had the positive reinforcement to do even more, I wouldn't have enough money left over to feed the family, its bad enough as it is.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:05:22 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

HawkSprings in the house?.

Yeah, you guys can't have all the fun.

..Really too bad you don't live a little closer...

But then again if we all did live closer and I had the positive reinforcement to do even more, I wouldn't have enough money left over to feed the family, its bad enough as it is.

I see how it is...You dont want to have to help babysit Art.

And you would have more $$$ if you would stay away from the auction!.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top