Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/1/2006 4:54:28 PM EDT
I have an SLR 105A1R which I just bought NIB. I love the rifle in every way except I have to be honest.....the finish SUCKS. It's a crappy paint with many spots of over spray, and not durable at all. Today I was placing the weapon from safe to fire. While doing so I scraped a couple of my knuckles against the side of the receiver (ouch). No blood, not even a scratch on my skin but it removed paint from the rifle. Unacceptable.

Any help appreciated. I just want a nice parkerizing on the rifle. Screw this paint.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:01:14 PM EDT
[#1]
It is already paint over park.  You can probably remove the paint fairly easily with 99% rubbing alcohol and some rags.  If you want to try something stronger try gunscrubber or Acetone.  It should have a medium to dark grey park underneath.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:02:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I just purchased an SLR-105 A1 R recently, and you're right about the finish. Beyond sucky. Just sad. It's like spraying a BMW with some hardware store paint. Anyway, my rifle will be sent to Chris Butler at AKUSA, he will refinish it with his cool enamel. Much more durable and MUCH more attractive. He's more expensive than some, but you get what you pay for.

Sorry this advice is not about parkerizing, but thought I would throw my $.02 in.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:23:22 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I just purchased an SLR-105 A1 R recently, and you're right about the finish. Beyond sucky. Just sad. It's like spraying a BMW with some hardware store paint. Anyway, my rifle will be sent to Chris Butler at AKUSA, he will refinish it with his cool enamel. Much more durable and MUCH more attractive. He's more expensive than some, but you get what you pay for.

Sorry this advice is not about parkerizing, but thought I would throw my $.02 in.

I just looked at his website, I think I'll do the same. His finish looks/sounds great. Thanks for the tip.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:25:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Where are you located?  If in AZ, IM me.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:27:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just looked at his website, I think I'll do the same. His finish looks/sounds great. Thanks for the tip.

sure, dude. I think you're making a good choice! Chris Butler is frickin sweet...
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:22:03 PM EDT
[#6]
You know what guys...I appreciate the help but I've just come back to my senses here. I don't normally worry about finish, scratches, etc. Why am I worrying about this AK? The thing is a combat rifle meant for shooting.

I'm just going to go out and enjoy it. The fit of the parts is excellent, and the rifle has a very slick and well built feel. Worrying about finish on this thing is pointless. It is the worst finished weapon I own...but who cares. I didn't buy it to sit in a museum. Back to reality....lol.

Honestly though, I appreciate the input guys.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top