Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/28/2006 11:06:24 PM EDT
In about a month's time I was thinking of picking up a WASR-10 from aimsurplus, but I had a few questions.

I was going to get the following.

www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/NEW_AK_WASR_RIFLE_w__Bayonet_Lug___Muzzle_Break.html

I'm assuming that these are the newer "GP WASR-10s," mostly because the webpage says keywords like "NEW" and "AK-GPWASR."

I've read that the GP WASRs dont have some of the problems like the older WASRs had like canted sights, or bad trigger slap. Is that indeed the case, also are there any other differences?

I also have a question about ordering stuff from aimsurplus.

I dont have an FFL. Do I buy from them and have an FFL do a transfer, or can I not order at all because I dont have an FFL, and I have to get someone who does to order it for me?

What I'm really asking is instead of just paying for a transfer would it be likely that a dealer would want to charge me more because I'm really buying it from him instead.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:09:50 AM EDT
[#1]
You will have to get a FFL to get it for you.  Some FFLs will order and just charge a transfer fee.   Others as you say will jack the price up a bit.  The WASR is not bad but you may want to consider a Vector from Atlantic Firearms.
www.atlanticfirearms.com/programming/listview.asp?CatId=2

Not associated with Vector or Atlantic, just had a good experience with both.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:15:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I've had my GP for about a month now, and the trigger slap is bad.  Fit, finish, and quality are about what I expected.  It's the only AK I have, so I don't have anything to compair it to.  I'm happy with it.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:31:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Easy..I bought a cetme from aim. Pick a gunshop and ask them to send an FFL to aim.  Wait until they get it, and then place your order... they will ship to gun store and you pick it up.  My local shop charged me $20 for the FFL transfer.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:37:24 PM EDT
[#4]
my wasr has been great, i rodered from aim too.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:32:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I understand that people may not have the same experience as others when dealing with a certain company, but in my dealings with AIM i was treated like dog sh*t, im not holding a grudge and im not complaining about them, but i only buy from places which i've had no problem with. I know that mishaps are only natural and out of anyones control, but aimsurplus had no excuse and absolutely no reason to do what they did. they'll never see another dollar of mine and if i can help it, ill steer anyone else clear of that place as well. ok well i wouldnt technically call it a grudge... so anyway Atlantic Firearms is a great place, so is Classic Arms on their firearms page. they have the same Romanian AK's but they have many different options. anyway, good luck on your choice no matter what. im actually in the same situation as well. so good luck to both of us
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:01:50 AM EDT
[#6]
AIM is good to go.....my experience with WASR's on the other hand...have been pretty mixed. Good luck!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:23:26 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
AIM is good to go.....my experience with WASR's on the other hand...have been pretty mixed. Good luck!

so how many have you owned, and could you explain your experiences in a little more detail? i'm sure he'd like to know, as well as myself. after all he wasnt asking if AIM was a good dealer or not, but he did ask specifically about the rifle.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:43:41 AM EDT
[#8]
My WASR was great for the first 3k rounds. I was lucky enough to not have any CANT probs. here is a list of things that went wrong on my '01 WASR10

My best friends SAR1 has light primer strikes as described below but has not fixed it yet...here goes...

-Magwell wont accept drums - quick fix with dremel
-Bad trigger slap - See above
-Pistol grip broke - Had to put washer on outside of grip - not a huge deal
-Rear stock always works loose - Woodglue
-Hammer spring weakened at about 3k mark and was the first problem I had with the rifle, about 1.5yrs after I got it. It contributed to FTF/weak primer strikes. - Replaced spring
-Firing pin rear end mushroomed out and also contributed to FTF/Weak strikes - Replaced pin
(Here comes the fun one)
-The reciever around where the pin that goes from one side of the reciever through the trigger/disconnecter, enlarged. Basically no matter what the hole in the reciever has enlarged it self and wont hold in the pins anymore. This is the hole under scope mount on left side. - Now I have some bolts through the reciever holding in the trigger and hammer. Pretty shitty deal.

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:45:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Pic of those bolts...

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:48:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Pics up---flame on!

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:01:26 AM EDT
[#11]
yea looks like you have a piece of crap of an AK Kalahnikid

overall I'm not real impressed with Romanian AKs. They are OK for a starter gun. I've had or have 3 Romanian guns a SAR1 made in 2002 a WASR-10 low cap I converted and a G kit I built from a flat. overall the SAR is the best of the bunch crapy trigger shity wood but the metal seems good.

The WASR  had ok wood unfinished but whatever. the trigger sucked ass and the sight is canted. As a side I never really thought that a canted sight maters much it shoots strait.

The home built is fine the receiver has some issues. the wood is great now that I striped and refinished it. the metal is good better than the WASR and as good as the SAR.

I did pick up a MAK90 for less than 300$ after getting the sar&wasr. Now I wish I'd have bought 3  Chinese,1 or 2 Bulgarian, or a few Russian AK's instead. all are allot nicer and certainly worth spending 100-200$ more

anyway I'd try and find a SAR or better on the EE. for 400-500 bones you should be able to get a sweet AK

nothing against  Aimsurplus
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:59:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:27:58 AM EDT
[#13]
the reason i recommended aim is because they had the best price. i got my ak for christmas and it wasnt there until 4 days after christmas because aim fuckud up and didnt tell my dad they didnt have the ffl on hand but my ffl swore they should of had it. Then they called him 3 or 4 days later and had him send the ffl. this cost an extra 7 days so they put a note in the box that the shipping was free and it had been put back on the credit card. As of 2 months later it hasnt.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:35:07 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
You will have to get a FFL to get it for you.  Some FFLs will order and just charge a transfer fee.   Others as you say will jack the price up a bit.  The WASR is not bad but you may want to consider a Vector from Atlantic Firearms.
www.atlanticfirearms.com/programming/listview.asp?CatId=2

Not associated with Vector or Atlantic, just had a good experience with both.

+1. Look into Vector...much better AK for only a bit more money. Many WASRs are just fine, but there are many sucky ones out there. With a Vector you spend a bit more, but can trust that the product will be very nice.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:04:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Oh, forgot to add. Wanna know how the slant beak is held on?
Wait for it...
Wait

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:12:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Heh, I threaded the barrel of my SAR-1 but then couldnt get the pin out of the FSB to install a detent pin.

Until I get it to a smith to be drilled out the slant is just held on with blue loctite. Few range trips so far and its still on tight.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:02:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:50:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:55:29 AM EDT
[#19]
I personaly feel that atlantic 's prices are high. the yugo m70 can be bought for 399.95 ( but you have to wait) and they  want 599.00 thats not a deal too me.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top