Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/28/2006 6:43:39 PM EDT
I also posted this in the build it yourself forum, but also wanted to post here to try to find out as much as possible about this U drive build thing.

MODS., please don't delete or move this thread from here just yet.

I was wanting to find out from some of you who have tried the U drive screws in a build and how did it turn out? I know about the thread intitled "Easiest build ever" but it seems to be pretty dead and also the details in there are a little vague at best.

what kind of U drives did you use?(the zinc coated ones or the 18-8 stainless) and where did you buy them?

also, did anyone at all(besides "dalesimpson" have any luck finding the grade 8 steel ones?(everyone that i called, US fasteners, Fastenals, etc., had never even heard of U drives being made in grade 8 steel.

please share your results and any other info. that could be helpful

thanks a bunch

camaro
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:23:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I just got lucky to score the drive screws that I did.  Like I said in my post, they were left over from a project that we did for General Electric, and I have no idea where they got their stuff, they supplied all the parts for the project.  That being said, there are a lot of guys doing their builds using the zinc coated drive screws.  In fact I have a couple of sets of them that I am going to do a build on right after I rivet my Polish underfolder.  I can see no reason you would need grade 8, the only reason I used them is because they are what I had, and they were free.  I will shoot my next drive screw build with the zinc coated screws with complete confidence.  Remember, the rivets that we use offer more than enough shear strength, and they are no where near grade 8.  Just get in touch with Fastenal and get yourself some of the zinc type u drive screws and build yourself an AK.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:11:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey camaro128 I used the u drive on my yugo I  used the #10's zinc ones I also have some #8's zinc that I will use for my  next build I put 300 rounds down the yugo with no problems i found mine at http://www.mcmaster.com/ they are pretty cheap there and they work

Good luck with your build
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:47:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd be a lot more confident with some epoxy or loctite on the threads before pounding them in, but will either of those adhere to zinc and bond it with the steel?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:54:52 AM EDT
[#4]
i mixed up some jbweld and wiped it on the zinc coated ones before pounding them in... cant get them out, i tried.. damn rear tang went a bit crooked when i pounded them in,
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:48:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks. I'm going to do a build this next week and will let you all know how it goes.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:44:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Do you leave the old rivets in place and drill into them?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:46:18 AM EDT
[#7]
yes just drill into them
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:47:58 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
yes just drill into them

Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:00:43 AM EDT
[#9]
FYI, I saw a thread that said that some were having problems with them loosening after hundreds of rounds.

U Drive Rivets???

I'm going to use real rivets on mine, but thought I'd let you know.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top