Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/27/2006 1:26:00 PM EDT
I'm 23 years old, a grad student, and responsible.  Of course since I look young, I'm thinking people at the range may confuse me for a gangster wannabe or reminensce back to the Vietnam War or something.  I shot a Colt AR-15 a few weeks ago and love it.  Of course I can't afford to spend $1,000 on a rifle yet.  AK's seem to go for $300-500?  I have one pistol so far and I'm thinking of getting a good rifle to add to the collection.

Would I get ugly looks?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:33:00 PM EDT
[#1]
who cares? get what you want. dont worry about assholes.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:33:47 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:37:20 PM EDT
[#3]
If any one gives you dirty looks smile and tellthem how much you like you rifle. I have some ARs and AKs  and unless you are thinking competitive target shooting the ak platform will be a great rifle for you.
Youe question though reminds me of a situation that occured about three years ago when a co-worker aasked if I would take hime shooting.  We met at my house and I laid an AK and a AR across the back seat. My Co-worker asked is I was going to put a blanket over them  I said "no" Thats  when my co-worker Fred, an african american raised in more urban enviroments said "Damm it must be great being white in america" I was a little saddened by the truth of his statement
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:37:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Who gives a rats ass what other people think,get what you want.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:41:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Only if you started ranting in Vietnamese interspersed with "you die GI....you die, VC numbah 1, nubmah 1 VC!!!"

Other than that I would pay you no nevermind...in fact, I might ask if you wanted to shoot one of my rifles if I could shoot one of yours.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:48:46 PM EDT
[#6]
If anyone gives you any crap, just insert a 30 round mag and tell them to kiss it where it is round and brown.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:48:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Haha.  Funny and informative comments.  I feel better now.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:50:19 PM EDT
[#8]
just dont wear a pith hat, black jump suit, and flip flops........also dont say "you die GI "
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:58:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

+1

And have fun. That'll get them every time.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:12:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm chinese and I decided to do a little experiment.
This was a few weeks after the Hmong hunter went on his murder spree in Wisconsin.
I shot my SKS at the local range and got a few "odd" looks but no comments (I couldn't hear anything with my muffs anyway) from the fellow shooters.
I went home and came back with my AR a few hours later and there were different shooters. I didn't get any "odd" looks and a few came up to me and asked about what I was shooting.
Take it for what it's worth.
ETA: it's the only time I ever got any looks
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:24:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Don't sweat it guys.

I used to frequent a range in NY where I was usually the only one shooting the Cool Evil guns.

I pretty much got classified as a Redneck by the casual observers.
And I'm part Polish- English-Native American.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:26:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Who cares what others say/think.  Get the weapon you think you will get the most enjoyment out of.  Also, don't show up at the range dressed like these guys.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:28:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Just leave the black PJs at home.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:28:52 PM EDT
[#14]
shit, I always dress like that, sandals rule!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:30:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Pretend  you cant speak a bit of English,  see what kind of entertainment value you can get out of it when  anyone says anything.   Then as you catch them talking shit............  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:36:00 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Who gives a rats ass what other people think,get what you want.

+1
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:42:32 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
This was a few weeks after the Hmong hunter went on his murder spree in Wisconsin.
I shot my SKS at the local range and got a few "odd" looks but no comments (I couldn't hear anything with my muffs anyway) from the fellow shooters.
I went home and came back with my AR a few hours later and there were different shooters. I didn't get any "odd" looks and a few came up to me and asked about what I was shooting.

Dude...you're Chinese???
<wonders if her sigline is getting odd looks>

As the others have said, Boma, who CARES??? Have fun!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:21:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Shoot what you want!
I also go to college, I look really young and people always ask me about my AK's but most people are really nice about it and they either want one or say they have a couple.
I get cool looks most of the time when I rapid fire my AK's... I really never pay much attention though, I'm having fun.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:51:50 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Dude...you're Chinese???

I get that alot
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:30:02 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Who cares what others say/think.  Get the weapon you think you will get the most enjoyment out of.  Also, don't show up at the range dressed like these guys.

images5.theimagehosting.com/vc.ea4.jpg

I didnt know you could launch rifle grenades from an M44 Mosin Nagant. Hmm.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:45:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Don't let fools run your life.  Buy what you are comfortable with and like.  Do some research on each type of rifle and shoot a friend's AK or rent one.  At the range just be a good person and you'll probably make some friends.  I'm actually glad to see you take up shooting not because of any race reasons, but because you are responsible and intelligent.  This will show the anti gunners their bigotry and stereotypes about shooters are wrong.

And if you buy an AK, welcome to the club!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:49:31 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm an Irishman.  I'll go shooting with you anytime.  How's that for diversification?  One of my former crew members is Japanese, who also had a "thing" for assault weapons.  We went shooting all the time.  Never got any negative reaction from fellow shooters.  If we had, so what.  Shoot what you want and don't worry about the reactionary crowd.

Bud
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:49:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Can you hit anything with it?  Put 30 rounds in one hole at 100 yards and they'll be your best friends.

Besides, it's America, right?  Go to the range and shoot till your heart's content.  If anyone gives you S***, tell them to log on to ARFCOM and ask us what we think.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:55:18 PM EDT
[#24]
In my little corner of Texas, you might get an ugly look from one or two of the Fudd crowd, but it would be becasuse of the evilness of your rifle, not because you're Asian.  And that's a mighty big "might."
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:56:27 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Can you hit anything with it?  Put 30 rounds in one hole at 100 yards and they'll be your best friends.

Put those same 30 rounds in a 30 inch group and they'll think you're a LEO.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:58:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Don't be silly!  Shoot whatever you want, wherever you want.  I've found that the shooting community is the nicest bunch of guys out there (even the scary looking rednecks with confederate flag belt-buckles).

I've also noticed a lot of Asian college students are into guns BIGTIME, even moreso than us whiteys.  They all seem to get along just fine with the "militia" types, and seem to have better toys too.  This is just an observation based on what I've seen, YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:00:43 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

images5.theimagehosting.com/vc.ea4.jpg</a>

I didnt know either.  I dont have a M44 Mosin Nagant....yet.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:02:08 PM EDT
[#28]
When you go to the range be sure to wear the "Hunters, the other white meat " T-Shirt.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:02:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Don't worry about what the fuddy duddys' think.... Shoot what you like and how you like to shoot it (as long as it isnt against the range rules)...

I am 33, but i look like I am in my early 20's. I wear jeans and t-shirts... i got an ear pierced and a labret spike & I got sideburns, and a goatee... I get those "your not one of us" looks from the Fudds when i go to the range... Funny thing is, I see more unsafe gun handling from a few of them than I would ever do (not that ALL the Fudds are unsafe)
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:20:40 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Put those same 30 rounds in a 30 inch group and they'll think you're a LEO.  

What he said.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:27:29 PM EDT
[#31]
I live in WI, not all that far from were the hunting "incident" happened.  I also live in a community that has a considerable number of Hmong people, and I see them all the time at the local gun range.  

Hmong shooters and hunters love SKS's, as do many of the rest of us.  

The Second Amendment applies to all of us (law abiding) citizens equally, and as long as fellow shooters abide by range rules and are polite, I have no problem with anyone shooting whatever they want.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:33:55 PM EDT
[#32]
If you get any funny looks, just turn to them and in your best southern accent say, "Don't you worry yourselves none fellas, I'm from South Vietnam".

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:51:54 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
If you get any funny looks, just turn to them and in your best southern accent say, "Don't you worry yourselves none fellas, I'm from South Vietnam".

Bwahahaha.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:52:28 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm asian,23 and I go the the range wearing my chest mag carrier and carry my AK proudly.  I am in the military but you can't tell except for the short haircut.  I never got any looks and most people i've met at the range are good people.  I want a AR but don't have the money right now.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:57:54 PM EDT
[#35]
I would'nt care what anyone thinks .
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:58:18 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
When you go to the range be sure to wear the "Hunters, the other white meat " T-Shirt.

That is frickin' funny man!

Boma, just be glad you're not of a middle eastern background or resemble someone who is.  Imagine the looks and crap you'd have to endure then!  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:11:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:20:11 PM EDT
[#38]
I don't think it maters if you are Asian, German(a race of witch I am part of), Mexican, there going give dirty looks be cause they are part of the pro AWB get mad when I hit the 100yd target with my 22lr and they miss with there 3,000x45243 H&R WSSSSSM Magnum crowed. Get the Ak!  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:22:30 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I live in WI, not all that far from were the hunting "incident" happened.  I also live in a community that has a considerable number of Hmong people, and I see them all the time at the local gun range.  

Hmong shooters and hunters love SKS's, as do many of the rest of us.  

The Second Amendment applies to all of us (law abiding) citizens equally, and as long as fellow shooters abide by range rules and are polite, I have no problem with anyone shooting whatever they want.

where are you lacated Bubbaman?

ETA: oh yeah- GET THE AK! don't worry about it. Around here we have a pretty big Hmong population and the  ones that were born here are about as Americanized as you can get. If I was blind I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:43:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Hell...why not wear the black PJs, wide straw hat, chest rig and flip flops? Its a free country. Id love to see some guy at the range wearing that getup. Tell them you are a re-inactor or something.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:46:37 PM EDT
[#41]
YOU VC! YOU NUMBA 10!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:16:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Look why would anyone wear some commie rags when clearly they are American. It's your country to pal, the Constitution applies to every citizen. Just remember that when or if they do come for our guns it will be all of us standing together or if divided we will fall together. The assholes giving you looks are part of the reason we have to fight so hard to keep our rights because they don't understand that our rights are color blind.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:22:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Back in the 70's in high school I worked in a Chinese Restaurant. The owner was American born Chinese and served in WWII in Italy where he met his wife. They were sponsoring a family of refugees of Vietnamese/French background. The Boss used to like to kid me "You know why I hire you?! I have to show equal opportunity!". Then he'd bust out laughing and double over. He really loved that joke. I thought it was hilarious. But one time he did that joke and his wife, who was a very large lady, whumpt him in the head with her big arm and told him to leave me alone since I worked so hard for him. (I was the dishwasher.) I couldn't help it, I lost it laughing. The waitresses came in to shut me up as the customers could hear it all out front. Of course, that made it even funnier. God, I loved working there. They treated me like family. The Boss's oldest son ran the kitchen and was like a great big brother to me. And MAN did we ever eat well after we closed every night! Home made Italian, spicy Vietnamese dishes, different Chinese cusines, you name it.
Screw the buttheads who look at you funny. This country was built by immigrants. We're all Americans here.
I'm a mix of Irish, Swedish, English and Hungarian myself.
It's all good!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:57:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Dont sweat it brother and dont let the ignorant society drive you away from the sport. Me personally I'm about as Arab looking as they come big nose and all, I'm of Armenian descent but our traits are similar because the Persians occupied Armenia for over 500 years, Our people used to be blonde and blue.  I often get looks at the range and its usually because of one of three things, either because i'm 6'5 285 pounds, I'm shooting some damn nice guns or because "hey look at that Arab with the AK" Either way i dont care two shits what people think of me and if they have a problem then can take it up with me. Just be comfortable in your skin and ignore the rest and have fun, thats what its all about. McM
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:00:27 PM EDT
[#45]
No, why? AKs are Rooskie not Chinese...I might have a problem if you wore VC KIT AND WOKE ME UP, but, no, I deal with it.... I'll go shooting with you anytime.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:47:35 PM EDT
[#46]
my wife is Chinese, she was carrying her krink into the gun show, and I happened to be walking pretty far in-front of her. I hear the two guys walking past me say.. "Woh! Check her out, she'd make a good wife!" LOL I didn't say anything.  Just smiled to myself....

Although one time I was talking to an old vet who kind of had some flash backs seeing an asian girl carrying an AK. Spooked him a bit I'd say

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:58:13 PM EDT
[#47]
I really appreciate all the comments.  It's nice to know there's intelligent gun people on the forums who are there to back each other up.  Racism and bigotry is still alive, but your positive comments drown them out.

I don't speak Vietnamese so yelling out "you die GI VC number 1" shouldn't be a problem.  Ha.

I'm sure it must be tough to be of Arab descent right now and deal with scrutiny.  I'm hopeful it will get better soon.

I joined the NRA already hopefully my measley $35 will help keep our rights.  I will keep renewing it every year.

Enough of the wussy talk.  I'm going to do some research on AK's, so I can decide which one I want in the future. =)  h.gif
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:09:54 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

images5.theimagehosting.com/vc.ea4.jpg</a>

I didnt know either.  I dont have a M44 Mosin Nagant....yet.

i thought that was a M-44!,...shit where the F! do i get the grenades for it!

dude dont sweat it,..wear whatever you want,..shoot whatever you want,..anytime you want,...if anyone gives you any flak about it,...tell them this

"KISS MY AMERICAN ASS,.MotherF***er!"

then turn and send 30 rounds downrange.

i like the idea of dressing like a VC,...tell them your a actor or something getting ready for a role in a up comming movie that your gonna get 20 million for,..see how much they kiss your ass then
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:02:34 PM EDT
[#49]

Would I get ugly looks?

All the more reason to buy one and head to the range...

KyARGuy
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:11:57 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude...you're Chinese???
<wonders if her sigline is getting odd looks>

As the others have said, Boma, who CARES??? Have fun!

To Boma buy the AK enjoy it fuck the morons and gunsnobs.  If you want funny looks scream Allah Akbar during a magdump.

Twonami hope your not offended by me thinking you were typical whitey by some of your past post.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top