Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/27/2006 9:55:49 AM EDT
Just curious. We've got no ranges around here that I know of other than a couple indoor, which I'm not too keen on. I've got six acres out back, mostly fields. I would much rather set up cinder blocks and watermelons on a sunny day than deal with anyone at a range. The only drawback is a city police officer less than 100 yards down the road. She tore into the driveway after a shooting session not too long ago, and asked if it was full auto. Had her hand on her pistol for the length of the conversation until I let her look it over. Not out to make any enemies. She simply wanted to make sure I knew where my rounds were going, or so she said. This is understandable seeing as how there are cows grazing on two sides of my property.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:51:19 AM EDT
[#1]
100yd range in my backyard, but Im way out in the country. When the crops are down and I can shoot in the fields I have a range out to 800yds. Cant imagine living in town
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:43:40 PM EDT
[#2]
My backyard. I can shoot out to about 50 yards. I shoot into a 10 ft pile of sand. Behind that there is probably a half mile of woods, so any rounds that make it over/to the sides of the pile of sand should get caught in there somewhere. Was just out recently shootin up some old red brick patio blocks- FUN!!!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:55:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I would of told that cop to F off and get a warrant if she wanted to do an illegal search. Just because you are LEO does not give you the right to question anyone at will. I hope she was in uniform when she came charging in your driveway with her hand on her pistol.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:58:49 PM EDT
[#4]
On a shooting lease that cost me $275 a year but I can go during daylight hours 7 days a wekk if I desire.  It's only 40 minutes/miles away so that ain't too bad for living in the middle of a million or so other bodies!  $275 sounds expensive but figure goin gto the range a couple of times a month and it becomes cheap!  Plus there is no one there telling me when I can and can not shoot.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:22:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Just curious. We've got no ranges around here that I know of other than a couple indoor, which I'm not too keen on. I've got six acres out back, mostly fields. I would much rather set up cinder blocks and watermelons on a sunny day than deal with anyone at a range. The only drawback is a city police officer less than 100 yards down the road. She tore into the driveway after a shooting session not too long ago, and asked if it was full auto. Had her hand on her pistol for the length of the conversation until I let her look it over. Not out to make any enemies. She simply wanted to make sure I knew where my rounds were going, or so she said. This is understandable seeing as how there are cows grazing on two sides of my property.

Like you said...no sense in making enemies.  If you don't mind us asking...what all do you shoot.  I'd say if there's nothing close in the background where you shoot, get a few loads of dirt trucked in for a backstop and go at it.  Let the officer know what you are doing and that you will be shooting back there.  If she's really close (you said 100yds) call them up before you shoot and ask if you're going to disturb them by shooting.  No sense in pissing off a cop.  It will only bring you problems.  Don't kiss her ass...just be a polite neighbor and you won't ever have to pay or drive to shoot. My .02$...

CMS
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:27:41 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I would of told that cop to F off and get a warrant if she wanted to do an illegal search. Just because you are LEO does not give you the right to question anyone at will. I hope she was in uniform when she came charging in your driveway with her hand on her pistol.hr

Actually, she was in her pajamas. I remember her saying that she wouldn't have come down if she wasn't trying to get her son into bed at 6pm. "Ha! It isn't my fault you're putting the little chap to bed so early!". I've known her for quite some time. She happened to be the resource officer all through high school. I would much rather just let her know that everything is copacetic rather than have her on the warpath. Quiet little town, and I know the locals don't like the sound of rapid fire. Well, let me rephrase that, they don't like the sound of an Ak altogether. More of the bolt-action hunting type around here.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:35:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Like you said...no sense in making enemies.  If you don't mind us asking...what all do you shoot.  I'd say if there's nothing close in the background where you shoot, get a few loads of dirt trucked in for a backstop and go at it.  Let the officer know what you are doing and that you will be shooting back there.  If she's really close (you said 100yds) call them up before you shoot and ask if you're going to disturb them by shooting.  No sense in pissing off a cop.  It will only bring you problems.  Don't kiss her ass...just be a polite neighbor and you won't ever have to pay or drive to shoot. My .02$...

CMS

I've got the WASR, a Mosin, a couple CZ-52s, and a mini-30. The way the fields are laid out, if I walk down far enough, I'm shooting into a large wooded hillside with cow fields to my left and behind me. I've since learned her hours of operation, and I'll only shoot out back when she's on patrol. I've talked to the dairy owner and a couple more neighbors, and they don't have any problem with the noise on the weekends or any other time really. One actually invited himself to walk over and empty a couple mags not too long ago. He's a Vietnam vet and always wanted to shoot an Ak. It surprised me that he hadn't until then.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:54:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, back home on the ranch in MT where I grew up, we could shoot anywhere.  Nearest neibor was over 2 miles away.  The junkyard was always fun, otherwise we had a range set up for sighting in scopes, and if we were lazy, we would just shoot of the porch into the hillside behind our house.  Over here in ND though where I work, it is flater than the kitchen table, so I have a membership at the local range here where they have dirt backstops.  It is about the only option I have over here for the highpowered stuff I shoot most of the time.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:55:39 PM EDT
[#9]
50 yard indoor range.    

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:23:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I shoot at a outdoor public range.
They have lots of rules, and a bunch of range "officers" with attitude problems.

But I can shoot at 7,10,15,25,50,100,200,300,400,and 500 yards all day long for $8.00.

Quoted:
Just curious. We've got no ranges around here that I know of other than a couple indoor, which I'm not too keen on.  

You might want to post over in the HomeTown Forum to see if anyone in your area, knows a good place to shoot.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:40:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:09:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I would of told that cop to F off and get a warrant if she wanted to do an illegal search. Just because you are LEO does not give you the right to question anyone at will. I hope she was in uniform when she came charging in your driveway with her hand on her pistol.

Actually, she was in her pajamas. I remember her saying that she wouldn't have come down if she wasn't trying to get her son into bed at 6pm. "Ha! It isn't my fault you're putting the little chap to bed so early!". I've known her for quite some time. She happened to be the resource officer all through high school. I would much rather just let her know that everything is copacetic rather than have her on the warpath. Quiet little town, and I know the locals don't like the sound of rapid fire. Well, let me rephrase that, they don't like the sound of an Ak altogether. More of the bolt-action hunting type around here.

Nosy neighbors are the worst kind ,  especially nosy cop neighbors. I can never figure out why people worry so much about other people ? I live in a F,d up City , people know better than to put their nose where it does'nt belong .  
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top