Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2006 8:55:00 AM EDT
what can I expect from a krebs AK 47? I was thinking about getting one from "R" guns listed in SGN.

since it's mailorder and I can't touch it until it's paid for I would like to hear from those that have or had one.

they have a nice one listed with AR type butt stock, free float handguard and updated sights with a rail on top for my aimpoint.

I have a romainian now and it goes bang but it sure is ugly and has plenty of sharp edges, ouch.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:15:06 AM EDT
[#1]
My experience with the one Krebs I owned is that fit and finnish was superior in every way to every other AK I own. Better even than my nuch loved Vepr K. On the other hand it was not as accurate as my Vepr  or my SLR 101. This appeared to be the limmits of the gun that it was built  on not that its accuracy was bad  just not as good as the Vepr or the Arsenal
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:32:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I owned a Krebs VEPR.  Very very nice gun.

Wish I'd never sold it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:41:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I ordered a Kreb's KTR-03S in 7.62x39 from R-guns with the fixed stock for $999 and it is amazing!  I have owned tons of different AK's including my VEPR K and if I could only have 1 AK, it would be the KTR-03S.  The sights, rails and thumb safety alone are worth the price, it makes you feel like you can hit anything you aim at.

Only downside on mine is that the charging handle rubs on the dust cover when cycled and it has rubbed some of the finish off of the charging handle.  I have an Aimpoint mounted on it and I love it!

Btw, I bought the fixed stock version because I don't like AR collapsible stocks on AK's and I wanted to install my own ACE Ltd. folding stock.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:29:27 PM EDT
[#4]
the  KTR-03s is the model I'm looking at.
great to hear the good reviews.

is the "free float" stock truly a free float?

and what are the better folding stocks that you'de put on it.

any pics?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:37:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Krebs AK vs. AK-USA (Chris Butler) AK? Quality, accuracy, workmanship? Comments? I know they are both of the best.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:11:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Here's a picture of my Krebs KTR-03S with a Ace folder after my gunsmith got done dragging in a couple hundred feet behind a truck.  Just wanted to make sure it was made to the same standards as any AK.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b101/aurang/torturetest11.jpg

I shaked the crud out of the action, cycled manually a couple times, put a fresh mag in and fired it, stayed zeroed and everything.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b101/aurang/torturetest13.jpg
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:18:15 PM EDT
[#7]
nice, now that's what I'm talking about. if you can't beat the shit out of it and it still perform to it's intended task, what good is it?

right on.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:09:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd say the Krebs is at least the equal of the Valmet, Galil, or Arsenal AK's.

I wish they'd put out a budget version with a galil AR HG instead of the rail system, they could get away with charging about $900 with the same ace folder I have.  Heck, get rid of the tang and charge $850
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:13:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Just an FYI,

I thought that my KTR-03S was threaded 14x1mm LH but I checked last night and it is actually 1/2" (whatever the AR-15 threads are).  So that will make it easier to find muzzle brakes and flash surpressors, but it will be hard to find them with .311" holes in them  for 7.62x39, they are all for .223
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:33:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Krebs Custom AK's are TOP NOTCH.  Just think of an Arsenal with a killer paint and more attention to small details...

AC

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:28:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Hey hartzpad, just shoot through the AR type flash hider and you'll have a perfect .311 hole J/K I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to drill an over size hole on an AR type hider. just drill it oversize just to be sure.

if for some reason the bullet does make slight contact your accuracy will suck right away and you will know what the problem is but I don't think there will be any damage to the main barrel.

just guessing here.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:53:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I have both an Arsenal and Krebs Kalashnikov, I'd say that the Arsenal's action is a little bit more refined and the finish is just as good if it's an American Arsenal produced gun, powder coated, not one with the military finish that's just baked on.  Attention to details is about the same, maybe Krebs smoothes out the sharp edges a bit more in some places.

Here's my Arsenal SA M-7 Carbine, same livery as the Iraqi National Guard Kalashnikovs.

But pretty much any custom builder like Krebs, AK-USA, ARS, AZEX, Inrange, IGF, Firing Line, etc is going probably equal an American Arsenal in quality.  And you can’t get customization through Arsenal.  But if you want a stock milled AK in any color you want as long as it’s black or blonde, Arsenal is the way to go.

VEPRs are third down on my list of refined Kalashnikovs.  The actions aren't as smooth as an Arsenal or Custom build.  But they are very accurate and robust and a very, very good value for your dollar... if you can get one in a rare moment when Robinson and Molot aren't in a hissy fit with one another and don't mind a little extra weight.  I'd personally get the 20'' Vepr II 7.62x39, put a bipod on it and you've pretty much got the best dollar for dollar RPK type gun on the market.  The Vepr K 7.62x39 is the other one I'd recommend.

Vectors feel about as rough/smooth as the VEPR action, a good option if you want a decent Kalashnikov that isn't put together by monkeys.  I suppose they'd have about as good of accuracy as a standard satellite state military Kalashnikov.  Though I hear Century Yugos aren't too bad, hopefully I'll be able to inspect one in a little bit when J&G Sales gets them in.

Or if you're a manly man, you could always WECSOG one together, practice like hell with it and make all of us high dollar Kalashnikov stock-pilers weep like little girly men on the range
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top