Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2006 9:02:30 AM EDT
What gunsmiths would be able to change the gas block, sight tower and thread the barrel on a SLR-95. I want to take it out of “ban” configuration. I would prefer a place that would have a turnaround in a month or so.

Also would standard 7.62 parts work? Are barrels on milled rifles different?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:53:44 AM EDT
[#1]
as for a builder. i would also like to throw -Duke-Nukem- into the mix. hes not a bad lawyer but a great SOT.

here is his website

www.mcarms.com/
also a brand new krink he got done
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=64&t=82800

i bet he could help you out.

Ronald
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:55:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Chris Butler  AK-USA    www.ak-103.com
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:02:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I called and spoke with Elite Firearms today, they sounded pretty good. Can anyone give me some feedback on them.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:55:14 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I called and spoke with Elite Firearms today, they sounded pretty good. Can anyone give me some feedback on them.

ak47.net/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=64&t=82571
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:59:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Hmmmm....  Lets check his Gunbroker feedback

www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewUserFeedback.asp?User=548397

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:05:12 PM EDT
[#6]
If you were a team member you could really do some reading about Elite Firearms and Diamond Dave

GunBid
Post Number :: 197

TX, USA

The member here who goes by TheKater has taken it upon himself to make it his personal mission to destroy the reputation of EliteFireArms because his Cyrillic markings were botch. Elite has admitted it was a bad job and offered to pay for the repair by a smith of his choice.

Not good enough, he made a smear thread AFTER the offer was made.... Anyways, I'm sure you have all read the BS and his anal vendetta that he carries.

The problem is what effect all this whining and bitching is having on other vendors such as Atlantic Firearms and Military Gun Supply (Sponsors of this website)

Not only does it hurt the sales of EliteFireArms, but all the many companies they supply rifles for.

So if this website wants to let this one member hurt the sales of two paying sponsors... Then GO FOR IT! Because that's exactly what is happening.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted :: 7/27/2005 10:44:04 AM
Last Edited :: 7/27/2005 10:52:57 AM by GunBid

clange
Post Number :: 207

MO, USA

In before the lock.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not good enough, he made a smear thread AFTER the offer was made.... Anyways, I'm sure you have all read the BS and his anal vendetta that he carries.

What i saw was a guy with a fucked up rifle post some pics of it, with no smith name, and the smith promptly remove his offer to pay to fix the rifle.

Sound about right?

You, or your vendor, fucked up. Deal with it.

So if this website wants to let this one member hurt the sales of two paying sponsors... Then GO FOR IT! Because that's exactly what is happening.

You need to understand that any effect of this is squarely on elite firearms. All they have to do is pop in and say "We fucked up, we'll pay to fix it, and in the future we will make sure we can do exactly what the customer wants or we wont agree to do it."

Thats it man. Thats all they have to do. Instead we get some question mark 'defending' them by posting a bunch of stuff like this. If thats how elite operates, then thats one more reason for me not give them my business.

Posted :: 7/27/2005 10:52:22 AM
Last Edited :: 7/27/2005 10:58:54 AM by clange

GunBid
Post Number :: 198

TX, USA

This argument is a losing battle and has been documented on several thread, forgive me if I don't oblidge in anymore Jerry Springer he said, she said.

Just remember that when sales are down for some paying sponsors and they don't renew their advertising, be sure and thank all the ass clowns like THEKATAR.

archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=64&t=73703
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:12:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:14:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:29:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:20:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the heads up, I am in FL.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:06:12 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+2 Chris is the man.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:04:51 PM EDT
[#12]
You can thread the barrel yourself.  I tried to remove the gas block today, but stopped the process because I don't think I'll be able to get the thing off.  Maybe another try will be in order after letting it soak in Break Free for a couple days...
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:24:59 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
You can thread the barrel yourself.  I tried to remove the gas block today, but stopped the process because I don't think I'll be able to get the thing off.  Maybe another try will be in order after letting it soak in Break Free for a couple days...

Update: I tried this with both of my SAR-1s.  On the one, I had no trouble at all, the parts came right off.  Very easy to do.  On the other one, the front sight post just will not budge.  I don't know what the deal is with it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:37:09 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Update: I tried this with both of my SAR-1s.  On the one, I had no trouble at all, the parts came right off.  Very easy to do.  On the other one, the front sight post just will not budge.  I don't know what the deal is with it.

Did you try hitting it with a plastic or rawhide mallet?  Heat the FSB up with mapp gas after putting the barreled action in the freezer? The only problem I ever had with a SAR was getting the cross pin out on one.  Took a hefty center punch to break the pin loose after grinding what appeared to be a spot weld down.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:15:56 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did you try hitting it with a plastic or rawhide mallet?  Heat the FSB up with mapp gas after putting the barreled action in the freezer? The only problem I ever had with a SAR was getting the cross pin out on one.  Took a hefty center punch to break the pin loose after grinding what appeared to be a spot weld down.

I used a hammer cushioned with a towel.  Do you think a mallet would work better?
The one SAR has a canted rear sight block and I'm trying to get that to move, without success.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:46:36 AM EDT
[#16]
www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/gascantfix.htm

I misread what you wrote.  I was talking about the FSB.  I haven't needed to remove a gas block.  Does it function/fire alright?  If so, I wouldn't bother, but if you just have to uncant the gasblock.

If you have the pins out, saturate the area of the gas block with Kroil overnight.  I say Kroil because I have heard many people say it is the best to get into tight areas and loosen them up.  You might be able to use liquid wrench to disolve anything in there and then use another lubricant. Put the barrel assembly in an upright or chest freezer for several hours.  Then put the barrel in a padded vise and heat the gas block with a propane torch.  If it doesn't move at that point I would get an AK smith to do it.  Don't want to screw up the gas block.  Do you have a press?

How bad is it canted.  I've never seen one that was canted.  I was able to hand pick mine from pallets of them though.  I did have one with a slight cant to the FSB.  I sold that one.

I think a rawhide mallet would be less likely to damage the gas block or a weighted plastic mallet.  A hammer should work but I would be likely to hit it to hard.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:57:50 AM EDT
[#17]
GrandForks, the reason I got confused is you were mentioning that you couldn't get the gas block off and then the next post you said your FSB wouldn't come off.  Did you ever get the Front Site Block to move?  You got me kind of confused.

If you have the pins out and tried all the other things I mention about the freezer and propane torch then a press like one from harbor freight is the only thing I can think of other then sending it out to have the work done.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top