Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/20/2006 12:29:25 PM EDT
First post herehaveMy question is this...Once I install the trigger group, which gives me 3 US parts, but before the US made magazine is installed, is the rifle illegal if the magazine is not inserted into the rifle since at that time, the parts count is only 3? Magazine in = 6 parts, magazine out = 3 parts, See what I`m saying? Would I have to keep the magazine in it at all times to remain legal? Or, does the US parts count (6) have to be installed IN the rifle for it to be legal? What a mess.    
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:43:46 PM EDT
[#1]
(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or stampings
(2) Barrels
(3) Barrel extensions
(4) Mounting blocks (trunions)
(5) Muzzle attachments
(6) Bolts
(7) Bolt carriers
(8) Operating rods
(9) Gas pistons
(10) Trigger housings  
(11) Triggers
(12) Hammers
(13) Sears
(14) Disconnectors
(15) Butt stocks
(16) Pistol grips
(17) Forearms, hand guards
(18) Magazine bodies
(19) Magazine Followers
(20) Magazine Floor plates  

It is not that you need 6 US parts, it is that you may have no more than 10 imported parts from the list above.

If you use magazine parts for compliance, you are good unless a foreign mag is inserted into the rifle.

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:48:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Out-a-ammo:
Thanks for the reply. I don`t believe I`ve made my question clear.
If I simply replace the trigger group (3 US parts) and have the rifle stored in my safe without the US magazine, is it illegal in it`s new configuration since it only has 3 US parts and too many imported parts. Would it then be illegal since I would`ve already replaced the thumbhole stock with the pistol grip? I apologize if I haven`t made my question clear but it seems that for it to be legal then I`d have to keep the US magazine in it at all times (plus the trigger group) to keep ther imported parts count down.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:02:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Pre ban Polytechs dont need to be 922. Thats the whole point of getting one. They are completely China made. 0 us parts
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:07:31 PM EDT
[#4]
No AK is non-compliant until you insert a magazine.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:16:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I have never heard of a Polytech with a thumbhole stock? Are you sure this is not a Mac 90(I have never seen a Polytech Mac 90, but I am no expert)? If this is a pre-ban (pre 1989) Polytech they dont need ANY US parts(this I do know). So please dont butcher it. Instead of crapco get on www.Polytechnologies.com. And order a new Polytech stock(or any other parts you need. It would be a mortal sin to add Crapco parts to a Polytech rifle.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:40:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Boy, I am confused now. It was my understanding that in order to put the pistol grip configuration on the rifle that I`d need to "do the parts thing". It came with the thumbhole stock due to Clinton`s ban in `89. I did order a stock set from Kengs Firearms (original importer) some time ago but haven`t put it on until I can get the parts count right.
0 US parts (or too many imported parts) doesn`t equal a pistol grip stock from what I can ascertain.
"Out-a-ammo" clued me in that I may need to add to the parts list to be legal but my original question about it being compliant with US magazine in or out hasn`t been answered. If my total parts count is OK with the magazine in, then when I remove the magazine, would it then be illegal?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:29:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I answered it in the last line of my other post.

If you use magazine parts for compliance, your rifle is good to go with the US mag or without a mag.

If you insert a foreign mag, your rifle is no longer compliant.

Edited for spellun.

Second edit: It wasn't Clinton's ban (that was the 94 Crime Bill), it was Papa Bush's executive order in 89 after the Stockton, California schoolyard shooting in which Patrick Purdy used an AK.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:17:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Out-a-ammo:
I finally got it. With my advancing years, I`m not as sharp as I once was but your final post clued me in. Thanks for taking the time to explain.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top