Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2006 4:48:46 PM EDT
Ok guys, interested in having an AK-103 clone built. Now I know that Saiga conversions are an option, but I prefer not to do this since I really hate the lack of magwell dimples (anal I know, but an AK without those dimples just looks odd to me). What are my options? What kind of kit should I be looking for? Thanks....I'm a bit of a noob with builds, mainly a factory gun kind of guy until now.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:26:24 PM EDT
[#1]
You could probably start with a Romanian SAR1 kit.  If memory serves me correctly, the AK-103 is more of an AKM variant, i.e., smaller diameter barrel, AKM FSB, 90 degree block and of course, stamped receiver.    

Perhaps you could swap the gas block, change the furniture and add an AK74 styled muzzle brake.  I would go with an Ohio Ordnance Works, Ohio Rapid Fire or Armory USA 1mm receiver.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:37:24 PM EDT
[#2]
any other suggestions?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:39:20 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
any other suggestions?

Not sure what else you need as far as information?

Bud
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:03:11 AM EDT
[#4]
your suggestion sounds like a good one man, just wondering if anybody else wanted to throw in their $.02
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:10:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Is it possible to swap between a 45 degree and 90 degree gas block? Wouldn't the gas port be located in the wrong place, to say nothing of the wrong angle?

ETA: I would just use a Saiga, especially if you're going to shell out the cash for Russian AK100 parts. Might as well have a Russian rifle too.

If you can wait for an Arsenal SLR107/108, that would be a good bet too, but who knows when they will be available.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:43:51 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Is it possible to swap between a 45 degree and 90 degree gas block? Wouldn't the gas port be located in the wrong place, to say nothing of the wrong angle?

ETA: I would just use a Saiga, especially if you're going to shell out the cash for Russian AK100 parts. Might as well have a Russian rifle too.

If you can wait for an Arsenal SLR107/108, that would be a good bet too, but who knows when they will be available.

Thats what I would like to do, have an Arsenal SLR107 converted into a 103 clone. I'm looking at other options because I agree with you about the wait, it will be a long, long time before they hit the States.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top