Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2006 8:58:27 PM EDT
hello all:
last year i bought a AK and enjoy the heck out of it. but it's not exactly what I was looking for.
I have a Norinco "Hunter II" model. while it shoots great. looks fine, I'm looking for a pistol griped stock style.
I know there are many good brands out there and different styles.
there is a gun show next month and looking to trade mine off.
what I'm asking, is what to look for in a AK-47 NOT to by. are there specific brands, models? this list is prolly shorter than what TO buy.
what I'm looking for is a plain jane AK-47 wood stock pistol grip.  looking at the show today on A+E, prolly an AKM style.
any help is appreciated.
thanks guys.

edited:
of course just after I posted this, I ran across a thread that listed about everything I need to knowin "AK Referance" section.
not to waste a good thread, in used AK's what to watch out for? missing parts? miss matched parts? broken pieces ??
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:17:33 AM EDT
[#1]
have you ever thought of just converting yours to have a pistol grip and adding some us parts?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 2:35:46 AM EDT
[#2]
If you're talking about the Colliseum gun show at the MN state fair grounds, i'll be there too. Last year there wasnt much for AKs, I hope this year its the opposite. I bought a Vulcan (Hesse) converted Saiga that i'm happy with, but as 9 out of 10 people will tell you, Hesse=crap.

Most of what I saw there were WASR-10's. I wouldn't bother with those.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:57:31 AM EDT
[#3]
For a general purpose shooter I'd get a vector from atlantic firearms or a Romy kit build from Scott at DPH Arms. Neither will be too expensive.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:43:27 AM EDT
[#4]
As far as used rifles go, look for canted FSBs, canted rear sight blocks, excessive wear anywhere internal, and to some degree external. Mismatched parts shouldn't be much of a problem, unless the rifle is a homebuild. Home built rifles can be excellent, or they can be time bombs if the builder did it wrong. Also, if you can find a thumbhole straight-cut receiver for pretty cheap, most of them are easy to convert over. Hope these suggestions help.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:27:17 AM EDT
[#5]
thanks guys, and this gun show is in Wells, MN Mar 11 + 12 at the U.S.C. public high school.
it's a pretty big show, and last year they had many AK's to pic from.

I looked into aftermarket parts, but the Hunter II has an angled back on the reciever and doesn't accept folding stocks.  and by the time I get all the evil featchers I'd wind up spending about the same to trade up anyway.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:12:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Nothing wrong with the WASR 10.....just check the sights to make sure there not canted. you dont see that much any more as you used to on the SARs. Vector I hear good things about. You can get an underfolder for around $500. I like home made kit guns...theres some pretty damn good work going on out there. Atlantic has the Romanian military kits that are put together that dont look bad.
Stay away from Hesse-Vulcan and joeken. Last show here guy had 2 milled Arsenal Nevada AKs for about $750......damn fine guns. Theres tons of choices, so look at them good and look for the best deal.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top