Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2006 4:50:47 PM EDT
I'm a small time AK collector/builder looking to buy a Romanian made FPK in order to reach a little further than an AK.  I can't afford an SVD and it doesn't look like any will ever be imported again so is a PSL a worthy firearm, quality and accuracy wise?

I wouldn't need to stock up on mags like you would with an AKM but from what I can find, $40 each seems a little steep.  Is there a good place to find them for a better price?

I'm asking for guidance because I know there are bigger AK nuts here than I!  
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:18:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I like my PSL.  Mags aren't that expensive.  I got 4 mags and a mag pouch for $99 + shipping from centerfire systems.  I haven't shot mine a lot yet as I got mine right before the snow started to fly, but I'm happy with it so far.  I'm like you I can't afford an SVD, so a PSL will have to do.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:37:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I like mine, too. Our range only goes out to about 450 yards, but I can hit anything on it, even a small softball sized gong at about 430 yards, if my eyes are up to it. (It's hard with a 4x scope....the gun is far more capable than I am).

Most people say the gun prefers ammo in the 150-grain range, and although mine likes 150-grain stuff too, it loves Hungarian yellowtip 174-grain heavy ball. It won't shoot the Yugo brass-case 182-grain ammo worth a crap though.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:39:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Another thing....find me one other gun than can shoot cheap, eastern bloc quality machine gun ammo and group at less than 1 MOA....the gun just shouldn't be that accurate. It doesn't make sense....but it is!

Can you imagine what it could do with a match grade ammo?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:48:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I love my PSL too.  I had the barrel shortened to 20" and I swear it seems even more accurate than before.  Sometimes shortening a barrel makes it stiffer and grouping is impreoved due to different/less barrel whip/vibrations.  Anyway I can gong a welding tank with mine @ 400 yards all day long.  Like others have said mags can be had for $25 each when purchased in 4's plus you get a very cool pouch with them!  If you shoot new Wolf only no worry ever from corrosive ammo salts.  Mine prefers Czech Silver Tip and after each shooting session I spend 5 minutes and do the WinDex thing and mine still looks and shoots like new.  I have around 2K rounds through her now and all is well.  See web page.

My PSL web page

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:08:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I love mine also.  I still have yet to find the perfect ammo to feed her though.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:46:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Where is the BEST place to purchase a PSL/FPK from? Also what is the better "POSP" type Eastern-bloc mill-spec scope for it, a 4x, 6x, or 8x?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:55:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:23:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I am looking for a gently used one, prefer ftf in Michigan
prefer 4x scope, nothing fancy, couple mags
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:33:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Some have asked, Where is the best place to purchase from: question really is, are there any to be purchased?  The hey day of the importation of these PSL's has come and gone.  All of them Romania is making are going to Iraq and places similar.  And since it is a current Military weapon it may fall under the newly enforced BATF rules and NO more will be imported!  Best thing to do is to find a kit somewhere, buy a receiver and send it all to Ken at Global Military Gunsmithing and let him build it for you.  Or find one on Gunbroker.com or some other gun auction somewhere.

MGS in Ft. Worth says they have some kits for only $450.00 but they are supposed to come with 4 mags too.  Go with the original 4x power scope, send it with the kit as the rail will need to be installed and the dovetail cut correctly so the scope will line up properly and the reticule will be centered.  Be sure to ask for that to happen, reticule centered when scope mounted and sighted in.  

Good luck!
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:37:48 AM EDT
[#10]
I got my PSL from another ARFCOM member, I traded an STG58 for a PSL (not an SSG97, a PSL) which most people would call crazy, but to me it was worth it..  I love it, and will love it even more when I get some synthetic stock for it.  Mags are expensive when compared to AK mags, but like others said if you buy them in groups its cheaper.

The only negative thing I can say about it is the price of Parts.  There arent that many ROMAK-3's floating around, so parts are pretty expensive and some are harder to find then others.

Stargazer, I like the FAL bipod you put on yours, I think I will have to copy you and put one on mine.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:36:54 AM EDT
[#11]
umm btw, dont shoot heavy ball ammo in PSLs, unless you want to do damage to them (as it puts more wear on the parts/ shock than designed)...stick to light ball stuff (like czech silvertip).
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top