Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2006 1:42:08 PM EDT
that is a thick index card to show the amount of gap between the rivet and the reciever

just got it back from the original manuf. after they repaired some other stuff (mechanical and finish issues... repair  took 2.5 months). i guess i will just leave it as is and hope for the best. also came back with finish wear on the FSB  not there before, but i can live with that
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:23:43 PM EDT
[#1]
No, you'll need to resqueeze it. That's about the worst place I can imagine for a messed up rivet. The rear trunnion rivets absorb the impact of the carrier, and over time, that rivet will become loose or break altogether.

The good news is that it's easy to get to. You could borrow or buy a set of bolt cutter riveters and do it yourself.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:30:10 PM EDT
[#2]
It will probably hold for 100,000 rnds or so...Then the others will hold without it. While I would fix it, I would send it back for another 2.5 months.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:09:36 PM EDT
[#3]
That's a shame,  Where is the pride in workmanship.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:09:58 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
That's a shame,  Where is the pride in workmanship.  

i agree
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:50:40 PM EDT
[#5]
If the person who built this doesn't fix the problem in a timely manner, I think you should let people know who it is so they don't have to go through the same experience.  That's complete BS about that finish wear too.  Grrrrr!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:19:30 PM EDT
[#6]
i was  going to put a couple 1000 thru the rifle again to see if the mechanical issues come back again.

ill probably send it back eventually, i want to take it out a few more times first though. only ben able to take it to the range 4-5 times so far. with 3 of those trips ended short due to malfunctions (in all fairness those malfunctions might have been some wolf ammo i had that was a little out of spec; empty brass stuck in chamber had to be forced out with wood dowel and hammer, no split case necks)
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:15:12 PM EDT
[#7]
duck tape, super glue  
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:08:23 AM EDT
[#8]
got a few better quality pictures.

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:55:09 AM EDT
[#9]
That's some BS!!

I'd contact a DECENT builder about fixing it. Should be a quick job with a little touch-up paint.

Also, I'd post the pics and the name of the builder EVERYWHERE on the internet.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:08:50 AM EDT
[#10]
have it fixed or fix it yourself . that should be a swell neck rivet wich mechanicaly bonds the receiver to the rear trunnion. with time it could shear the rivet .R1150R
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:16:29 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
That's some BS!!

I'd contact a DECENT builder about fixing it. Should be a quick job with a little touch-up paint.

Also, I'd post the pics and the name of the builder EVERYWHERE on the internet.

Don't post that info yet.  Give the builder the opportunity to make it right.  If he doesn't or gives you shit about it, then hang him out to dry.

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:04:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Well, actually, if you read the titles of the .jpgs, the cat's kind of out of the bag!
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:15:01 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Well, actually, if you read the titles of the .jpgs, the cat's kind of out of the bag!

Yes, you are correct!
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:42:29 PM EDT
[#14]
That rivet job looks pretty good, considering who did them.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 2:34:04 PM EDT
[#15]
you should give them a chance to fix it (2 weeks)
if they dont get it done in 3 weeks flame them

you should really add your location maybe someone close can just fix it for you
kinda sad it will only take 2 min to fix for anyone with the tools
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:01:36 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, you are correct!

and to think I was considering one of their FNCs for a sear host
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:40:54 PM EDT
[#17]

You could borrow or buy a set of bolt cutter riveters and do it yourself

How do you do rear trunion rivets with bolt cutter riveters ? aren't they 1 1/2" long ?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:52:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Is the reciever even recessed around the head of the rivet? If not it could shear off. Who built this???
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:00:09 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

and to think I was considering one of their FNCs for a sear host

.....there are a couple threads in the Uzitalk fnc forum which will flush any remnants of that idea away
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:11:24 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Is the reciever even recessed around the head of the rivet? If not it could shear off.

nope and you can see the gap between the reciever and trunion (sp?) at the edge

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:49:48 PM EDT
[#21]
So was it like this originally or did it develop after you put a couple 1000 rounds through it? There're four other rivets holding the rear together. I doubt it will shear off.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:30:30 PM EDT
[#22]
This is what happens when you use a swell neck rivet and don't pre-dimple the receiver.  It will hold forever, but it will bug you.  They should have just used non-swell rivets for everything.

IMO, swell rivets are an unnecessary PITA.

I don't use swell neck rivets anymore.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top