Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2006 7:14:10 AM EDT
I am looking around for my next build, just don't know which caliber.  5.45 parts sets are hard to find anymore.  5.56 are really hard to find.  I was thinking a polish AKMS 7.62 build, but the polish tantals look interesting. Of course I could do a Rommy build, have not done one of those yet.

I have heard that the tantals need a new selector and hammerspring, but on top of that there is not much different.  Gas pistion slightly shorter.   Do they take standard AK-74 mags?

Any ideas on where to find some 5.45 kits?  

What about a Saiga 5.56 conversion?  The only thing that has kept me from doing one of those is the mag conversion looks a little tricky.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:42:03 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I am looking around for my next build, just don't know which caliber.  5.45 parts sets are hard to find anymore.  5.56 are really hard to find.  

I don't know where you've been looking, but even though prices have climbed some, 5.45 parts kits are still plentiful (see below).  5.56 kits were never really imported in any numbers, comparatively speaking. It's been years since K-VAR offered demilled Bulgarian 5.56 AK-74 type rifles, but last I checked, they've got some incomplete 5.56 "Krinkov" kits in stock again. They're the only outfit I've ever known to offer 5.56 kits.

I was thinking a polish AKMS 7.62 build, but the polish tantals look interesting. Of course I could do a Rommy build, have not done one of those yet.

What builds have you already done? If I'd already done a Bulgarian AK-74, for example, I wouldn't find a Tantal too exciting. If I'd already done a Hungarian SA-85M or Yugo M70, I'd pass on the Romy "G" AKM. You get the idea.

I have heard that the tantals need a new selector and hammerspring, but on top of that there is not much different.  Do they take standard AK-74 mags?

Yes.

Any ideas on where to find some 5.45 kits?

How 'bout the EE?
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=123&t=328772

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=123&t=322642

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:05:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I have done a mak-90 conversion, and I am currently working on Yugo M70Ab2, Yugo M72 RPK, and have a Yugo M92 Krink in the works,  I want to get some more kits to work on that will add to my collection and keep me busy over summmer.  I don't have any AK-74s.  I have stuck with 7.62 because I have a ton of mags for it and the ammo.... well used to be available here for cheap ($76/1000)  Now it looks like I will have to order ammo for no matter what calibler I go with since Cabela's jacked thier prices way up into extortion land.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:26:00 AM EDT
[#3]
I am selling the tantal kit on the EE. I think its sold but have another one for sale. I am keeping 2 for myself but seem to keep getting them on trade for other stuff.

They are extremely cool and unique. I wouldn't dare change the selector. Down the road DCI will likely make a correct receiver for it. At present, I got a cold steel 80% blank with blueprints that show how to do it with the original selectors. Extra work, but a unique weapon. There will always be a ton of Bulgy 5.45's out there that are pretty standard. The Polish are unique like the yugo's and I am glad I have a few.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:29:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:50:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I am selling the tantal kit on the EE. I think its sold but have another one for sale. I am keeping 2 for myself but seem to keep getting them on trade for other stuff.

They are extremely cool and unique. I wouldn't dare change the selector. Down the road DCI will likely make a correct receiver for it. At present, I got a cold steel 80% blank with blueprints that show how to do it with the original selectors. Extra work, but a unique weapon. There will always be a ton of Bulgy 5.45's out there that are pretty standard. The Polish are unique like the yugo's and I am glad I have a few.

robpiat any chance of getting a copy of the blue print, i've got a tantal on order and would like to use original selector
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:10:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Go over to gunco and search for tantal. I never trust these blueprints. There are some measurments taken off bonafide tantals over there somewhere.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top