Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/13/2006 9:43:40 AM EDT
I have a MAK-90 with a thumbhole stock that I would like to replace with a composite stock and forgrip and put a Ultimak top rail on it. Can I just change the stock parts out or do I have to change any of the internal parts for any kind of complicance laws?

Also where should I look for composite stocks?

ALSO I just discovered it is a slant cut receicer......... What kind of options does that leave me with?

Thanks,
Josh
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:13:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Yep, you need at least 5 US parts assuming you will not be threading the barrel. Therefore if you get a plastic US made stock set from K-var or DSA you will still need 2 more US parts for compliance. I suggest a Tapgo G2 double hook fire control group (hammer, trigger, disconnector). It is easy to swap out and you will be 922r compliant.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:16:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:51:21 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If you plan on putting a break/flsh suppressor on you will need 6 parts. Mag parts each count as one but if you have a lot of mags that can turn into a pita. I think US furniture & a G2 is a great combo.
www.MidwestArmory.com

Thanks I was thinking I had to do the 5 part deal, but wasent sure just wanted to check. I will probally do the g2 double hook fcg and stock then. I dont plan on doing anything to the barrel.

So I just need 5 US made parts then, so the stock would count as

1-Stock
2-Grip
3-Upper Forarm
4-Lower Forarm

Right? Is the ultimak a US made part? Either way adding the fcp will but me over 5 us made parts if I use the ultimak right?

Thanks,
Josh
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:56:52 AM EDT
[#4]
forearms count as 1 not 2
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:04:12 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Alright but still either way I am good. I was JW.

BTW the K-Var and DSA stocks is one better than the other? Im looking at the DSA, they have one in stock that I like, and the prices are the same.

Josh
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:06:21 PM EDT
[#6]
The stock MAK trigger is pretty sweet. On my second conversion (a NHM91) I left the FCG alone it was so nice and smooth and went the US furniture and followers/floorplates route. If you're not comfortable changing internals this would be one way to go.Good luck with your project.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:24:57 PM EDT
[#7]
If you wanted to keep the good Chinese trigger you could get the G2 and just use the disconnector.  I believe all the disconnectors are the same dimensions.  Then you could just use mag floor plates and a US furniture set.  The five US parts could be:
1. PG
2. Buttstock
3.mag floor plates
4. handguards
5. disconnector.
Have you checked to see if the receiver is straight cut?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:33:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If you wanted to keep the good Chinese trigger you could get the G2 and just use the disconnector.  I believe all the disconnectors are the same dimensions.  Then you could just use mag floor plates and a US furniture set.  The five US parts could be:
1. PG
2. Buttstock
3.mag floor plates
4. handguards
5. disconnector.
Have you checked to see if the receiver is straight cut?

I forgot what it was when I took the stock off before I will have to check, but im thinking it was a straight but stamped receiver.

So the Stock trigger is pretty good then? I might keep it, I only have 2 mags so I will probally go the floorplate/follower route then if that is indeed legal.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:14:06 PM EDT
[#9]
here's a pretty good thread on the legal issues of this topic: glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=498216
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:15:29 PM EDT
[#10]
It is a stamped, angle cut receiver, what options does that leave me with?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:45:13 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
It is a stamped, angle cut receiver, what options does that leave me with?

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:40:16 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Alright but still either way I am good. I was JW.

BTW the K-Var and DSA stocks is one better than the other? Im looking at the DSA, they have one in stock that I like, and the prices are the same.

Josh

No your not good with that list.  The forearms/handguards count as 1 like hank_612 noted.  What that mean is that the 2 parts together only count as 1 as far as compliance goes.  If the ultimak replaces both front handguards it will count as 1 part.  If you keep the Chinese FCG you will have to change out parts such as:

Buttstock (1)
front handguards with ultimak (1)
pistol grip (1)
piston (1)
mag followers must be replaced in every mag (1)
mag baseplate must be replaced in every mag (1)

Without a muzzle device you need to replace 5 parts
With a muzzle device you need to add 6 other US parts for the conversion /one of these US parts can be the muzzle device.

By replacing the FCG with a G2 or other US FCG you get 3 parts right off.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:10:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Ok I understand now. I will go with the mag followers/baseplate/buttstock/pistol grip/handgaurds-ultimac.... That is 5.

But what aobut the composite stock that will work on an angle cut stamped reciever? Is there an adapter or anything, everything i saw was stamped/milled flat cut... :(
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:06:02 PM EDT
[#14]
From what I have read on these forums if you have an angle cut you are limited to the Ironwood Designs wood stocks.  It is a good thing they are available.  They have rescued many a slant cut AK from bunghole stock hell.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:09:20 PM EDT
[#15]
There is no adapter I am aware of for an angle cut receiver that will allow you to use a polymer stock without it looking like hell with a wide angled gap.

Some choices are a choate machine and tool draganov type stock which would allow you to replace the original stock and you wouldn't have to replace any other part for parts compliance.  Choate

or an Ironwooddesigns wood stock made for the slant cut receiver.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:22:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Well that sucks, i dont even want to change it over now. I liked the look fo the composite stocks..... I guess i could always sell and buy another :(
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:32:11 PM EDT
[#17]
You have to research before you buy.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:55:36 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Well that sucks, i dont even want to change it over now. I liked the look fo the composite stocks..... I guess i could always sell and buy another :(

I'll give ya fifty bucks, cash.  Ironwood does a great job, That's what I did on a milled MAK.  Beats the crap out of a t-hole.  The composites for a slant cut MAK are uglier than a Tapco step child.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:51:29 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I'll give ya fifty bucks, cash.  Ironwood does a great job, That's what I did on a milled MAK.  Beats the crap out of a t-hole.  The composites for a slant cut MAK are uglier than aTapco step child.  

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top