Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/13/2006 5:44:11 AM EDT
Well; I'm new to this particular forum but not so new to the AK world, I have a nice little collection right now and enjoy shooting all of them. I would like to add an RPK to that collection. I've seen those new AES-10 RPK look-alikes but would prefer somthing better. Either a RPK74, RPK47, or NHM91, in a military configuration.
Is there any source for any of these at this time? I've been able to turn up the AES-10 right in my backyard at Centerfire Systems, and the $1,200 RPK47 from Military Gun Supply built from Romainian kits. There are some NHM's on the auction sites; and the occasional RPK74 in 5.45 but most have some civilian parts here and there, and the RPK74 is going at around 1200.
Is the AES-10 worth the money? Would a Chinese NHM91 be a better value and worth a few hundred more? Should I just belly up to the bar and shell out for a 74 or nice 47? Need some advice on gettin' me some hot RPK action!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:12:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:05:23 AM EDT
[#2]
buy a yugo kit from copes and save it for a rainy day
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:21:01 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Have you looked into a Arsenal RPK-7?

I would love to get an Arsenal RPK in the no-ban style but according to their website they are not yet available... http://www.arsenalinc.com/sarpk7.htm
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:59:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:01:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I would love to get some advice about RPKs as well. I'm in the same boat as the original poster: I want to get a nice RPK but I'm not sure what the best way to go about it is. For whatever reason people seem to talk about RPKs very little here, maybe it's just me.

As long as we're at it: which countries are still using RPKs? Wood furniture or polymer? I feel like a newbie with RPKs; was planning on buying an M4 this spring until yesterday....I feel the darkside of me wanting an RPK instead
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:53:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Russia still fields an RPK, in the RPK74. Its 5.45x39 with polymer stock, grip and forearm. The magazine is a 45 round double stack of a few different varieties. It will aslo take AK74 30 round mags. There is also a version with a FOLDING stock; like on the AK100 series it folds to the left. It is not the sheet metal stock as seen on the AKS74 but a full size, polymer "paddle" type just like on the non folding version. They still field the RPK47 as far as I know. You can see it in tons of photos from Bosnia. I think it was becasue of the increased penetration of the 7.62x39 round over the 5.45 when shooting thru walls becomes a factor in urban combat. I dont think they were really concerned with over-penetration.
Romainia also fields an RPK, along with Yugoslovia and you see their parts kits on the market here and there, but probably not for much longer.
I think that China and maybe Poland (? correct me if I'm wrong) were two of the only AK-weilding nations that didnt have an RPK varient.
For support roles they are hindered by having a fixed barrel and low ammo capacity.  They overheat fairly quick also, desipite the longer barrel and cooling fins on some models. They do fill a good gap between the AK and PKM tho; and thats why I want one! They are just plain kick-@ss. All the reliability of an AK in a light support package that is well suited to firing from the prone posistion with magazine interchangeability between the infantry rifle. If I had my way I would love a RPK74 built on a VEPR reciever with KVAR black polymer furniture and a Kobra sight from Tantal... That is untill a Semi-auto reciever comes along for those PKM parts kits!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:46:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Southern Ohio Gun has an RPG for $500.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:53:18 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

A CAI Convtered Saiga...not an RPK
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:54:21 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Southern Ohio Gun has an RPK for $500.

Your reference is to the Romanian AES-10 rifle, but the original poster has already dismissed this choice. The AES-10 is in the style of an RPK but does not have the thicker receiver and heavier barrel.

Harlan
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:55:35 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A CAI Convtered Saiga...not an RPK

The AES-10 is not a converted SAIGA; it's a Romanian factory built rifle.

Harlan
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:06:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks Harlan....clears that up!  Any word on FAL and AK receiver availability?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:03:29 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Russia still fields an RPK, in the RPK74. Its 5.45x39 with polymer stock, grip and forearm. The magazine is a 45 round double stack of a few different varieties. It will aslo take AK74 30 round mags. There is also a version with a FOLDING stock; like on the AK100 series it folds to the left. It is not the sheet metal stock as seen on the AKS74 but a full size, polymer "paddle" type just like on the non folding version. They still field the RPK47 as far as I know. You can see it in tons of photos from Bosnia. I think it was becasue of the increased penetration of the 7.62x39 round over the 5.45 when shooting thru walls becomes a factor in urban combat. I dont think they were really concerned with over-penetration.
Romainia also fields an RPK, along with Yugoslovia and you see their parts kits on the market here and there, but probably not for much longer.
I think that China and maybe Poland (? correct me if I'm wrong) were two of the only AK-weilding nations that didnt have an RPK varient.
For support roles they are hindered by having a fixed barrel and low ammo capacity.  They overheat fairly quick also, desipite the longer barrel and cooling fins on some models. They do fill a good gap between the AK and PKM tho; and thats why I want one! They are just plain kick-@ss. All the reliability of an AK in a light support package that is well suited to firing from the prone posistion with magazine interchangeability between the infantry rifle. If I had my way I would love a RPK74 built on a VEPR reciever with KVAR black polymer furniture and a Kobra sight from Tantal... That is untill a Semi-auto reciever comes along for those PKM parts kits!

Great answer, thx. Is the RPK47 still decked out with the wood furniture? Also, I agree with you; I would love an RPK74 in black polymer, but do they even make black furniture for RPKs??? I've never seen it being sold......
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:36:44 AM EDT
[#13]
K-var has black poly furniture kits for RPK's, including the correct wide-body (box like) lower forearm. I that RUSELLER also does, on gunbroker, and I *think* tantal has some RPK furniture kits maybe... But yes they are out there. KVAR has some here www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=16253&cat=251&page=2
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:48:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Don't they sell VEPR's with 20" barrels? Just add a bipod and slap in a Romanian 75-rnd drum.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:07:25 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
K-var has black poly furniture kits for RPK's, including the correct wide-body (box like) lower forearm. I that RUSELLER also does, on gunbroker, and I *think* tantal has some RPK furniture kits maybe... But yes they are out there. KVAR has some here www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=16253&cat=251&page=2

I saw that stock set too, totally "not correct" on my Yugo kit from Centerfire, but who cares, I am sure if whatever Serbian troop that carved up the stock set on the kit I bought had been given that fancy ass plastic stock set, he would have put it right on there (if for no other reason than it was lighter :)
Sooooo I will be putting a Russian RPK-74 stock on my Yugo RPK, purist be damned it will look really neat!!!
Will be buying the Copes kit to build an authentic yugo to go with all my other yugo rifles though, so I guess I am sandbagging!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:36:08 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I saw that stock set too, totally "not correct" on my Yugo kit from Centerfire, but who cares, I am sure if whatever Serbian troop that carved up the stock set on the kit I bought had been given that fancy ass plastic stock set, he would have put it right on there (if for no other reason than it was lighter :)
Sooooo I will be putting a Russian RPK-74 stock on my Yugo RPK, purist be damned it will look really neat!!!
Will be buying the Copes kit to build an authentic yugo to go with all my other yugo rifles though, so I guess I am sandbagging!

I've recently purchased a set of the Plum RPK stock also.  How can you tell that it's a Russian?  I only see one speck of ink stamp on the butt stock but not on the forearms.  How about yours?  Does your upper handguard have a heat shield?  Mine doesn't.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top