Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2006 7:59:08 PM EDT
is it good or bad technique to shoot with your lead hand on the 30 rnd magazine instead of the front handgaurd?  same answer no matter if it is fixed stock or underfolder?

http://pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/Yugo/db011a.jpg
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:08:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't do it, but I guess the mag exchange would be faster as you would not have to move your hand from the forearm to the mag/mag release and back.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:29:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I do it all the time with my fixed stock Arsenal SLR-101. Personally, it feels more stable for me.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:55:33 PM EDT
[#3]
That cat in the above pic just fired a rifle grenade...........look closely.......

US Soldiers, and Marines fire the M203 with left hand on magazine.............We are trained that way.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:38:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I personally shy away from firing with my hand on the magazine.  Many "Kabooms" that happen often blow out the bottom of the magazine(at the very least).

It may be small risk, but one I avoid.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:40:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't think he just fired a grenade,  If you notice the grenade laucher sight which works the gas shut off is not up....? but I could be wrong????  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:26:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I don't think he just fired a grenade,  If you notice the grenade laucher sight which works the gas shut off is not up....? but I could be wrong????  

no it is down,.....this guy is in a kinda shitty spot,...when your in a shitty spot you dont always do everything by the book the way you should

if you notice,.. that tank makes some pretty good cover,...however because of his position he really cant get a proper supported position,...he is just going quick and dirty with what works,..trying to stay alive

now suppose you are on a rifle qualification range,..shooting the prone unsupported part,...your not suppose to set the rifle on the mag and hold against the mag well,.. but people do it.

personally i think it is a bad habbit,...the handguards are there for a reason
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:35:53 AM EDT
[#7]
That guy behind the tank did NOT just fire a rifle grenade as the sight is down.  If he had fired a rifle grenade using that AK without the sight down, ALL of the gas would not go down the pipe but some would cycle the action.  Those "real" RG launching cartridges they use would tear that AK to pieces if that was tried.  The "real" com-bloc RG launching cartridges are WAY violent even using them as they should be used.  To use one to launch with and NOT do the sight thing is suicidal.  That smoke trail is a bullet smoke trail, period.  He is just shooting normal ball rounds through the grenade launcher adapter which is totally permissive.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:16:19 AM EDT
[#8]
I shoot with a hand on the magazine all the time.  It helps to pull the gun into your shoulder to better stablize the rifle.  It is like having a vertical foregrip on the gun.  This technique does also speed up mag changes.  The other benefit of the technique is that this area of the gun is a lot cooler than the handguards after extended shooting sessions.

Ron
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:16:28 AM EDT
[#9]
I dont know, I only have a mosin nagant 91/30 bolt action!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:11:52 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a copy of a Soviet AKM manual, and holding the rifle with one hand on the magazine is illustrated as one of the firing positions.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:35:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:31:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Well. That explains it for me. I have never fired a rifle grenade. Didn't know that the Yugo's/Tabuk's required it to be up. I figured it was just for sighting.

So turning it up opens gas chamber more????

cool. Functioning sight/gas regulator.

As for his firing position. I fired one-handed, off-handed from moving 7ton in the Corps back in 2003. Not exactly Marine Corps SOP....but while RPG's are impacting around you, and you are pushing through.........

oh well.

Thanks for the info. Learn something new here every day. Makes me wanna buy a Yugo UF M70B2 now!!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:51:05 AM EDT
[#13]
I shoot AK's like that all the time.  The handguard is too far forward to be comfortable to me.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:17:32 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
...So turning it up opens gas chamber more????...

No, pulling the sight up blocks the gas hole in the barrel, closing it off from the gas tube.

You then have a single-shot AK.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:41:09 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
is it good or bad technique to shoot with your lead hand on the 30 rnd magazine instead of the front handgaurd?  same answer no matter if it is fixed stock or underfolder?

pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/Yugo/db011a.jpg

if you hit the mark, who cares.....kill em all!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:53:05 PM EDT
[#16]
I find the hand on the mag is nice , I like the feel.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:34:21 PM EDT
[#17]
I've seen photos of people in a weird pose with their AK- Rifle against right shoulder, LEFT hand on the grip and trigger, right hand on the magazine. Usually the stock is actually tucked into the armpit instead of set against the shoulder. WTF is up with that?
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top