Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/12/2006 2:23:43 PM EDT
Ok, so I have decided my next purchase to be an AK. Gotta have one. I live in a great state where they dont care what ammo/mags/rifles/guns you buy. Land of the free...

So I want a break down of what I really want. I'm looking to spend ~$500-600 for the rifle. I want good but not the best. I want reliable and not crap.

So I was looking at atlantic firearms. This will be a plinker since I dont live anywhere to find coyotes or wild messicans running the hills. But I want GOOD. So are arsenal milled recievers that good? I don't want an SKS either, roommate has one and I dont like the finish or looseness of it at all. But 7.62x39 is cheap and plentiful. Not to mention 30rd mags and drums which i can flaunt in the face of my com-state buddies in CA and MD.

So at atlantic firearms they have a few I was looking at in my price range. Someone set me in the right path, I dont want to be dissapointed.

As always you have my full attention and gratitude.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:55:28 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Ok, so I have decided my next purchase to be an AK. Gotta have one. I live in a great state where they dont care what ammo/mags/rifles/guns you buy. Land of the free...

So I want a break down of what I really want. I'm looking to spend ~$500-600 for the rifle. I want good but not the best. I want reliable and not crap.

So I was looking at atlantic firearms. This will be a plinker since I dont live anywhere to find coyotes or wild messicans running the hills. But I want GOOD. So are arsenal milled recievers that good? I don't want an SKS either, roommate has one and I dont like the finish or looseness of it at all. But 7.62x39 is cheap and plentiful. Not to mention 30rd mags and drums which i can flaunt in the face of my com-state buddies in CA and MD.

So at atlantic firearms they have a few I was looking at in my price range. Someone set me in the right path, I dont want to be dissapointed.

As always you have my full attention and gratitude.

Thanks in advance.

I would stay away from any "wasr's", since you don't like "the looseness".

Any of Arsenal's rifles would be good. If you want a milled receiver gun, it will be slightly out of your price range.
Atlantic seems to be out of the sam7 (The only milled one close to your price range)It's listed for $669.00 (I've got one. It's a nice gun).

They also have listed (don't know what they have in stock) the vectors and a some polish and yugo underfolders. Now the underfolders are good buys, you may not like shooting them. Some people report that they have an uncomforable cheek weld. I've got a few as well, and I'd have to agree.

Hope this helps.....
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:11:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Arsenal or Vector are very good with the Vector being more in your price range.  

This is a great first AK: www.atlanticfirearms.com/programming/expand.asp?Prodid=9
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:11:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Aresnal or Vepr
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:04:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Arsenal SLR-108 when they come out (supposed to be pretty soon).  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:43:35 PM EDT
[#5]
what about this piece?

looks essentially like a starter kit and that would seem ok if i mess it up...

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/programming/expand.asp?Prodid=234

any info on that arsenal 108 any where
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:48:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
what about this piece?

Is that a WASR?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:12:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought a brand new Armory USA/Global Trades AK-47 at a gun show for $600 total.  It's beautifully finished and has almost all the "classic" AK features.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:52:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
what about this piece?

WASR  bottom of the barrel.  Entry level.  If you get a bad one you will hate AK's without ever owning a good one.  Go with an Arsenal even if it is a used one off the Equipment Exchange or a VEPR if you don't care for the unconventional look.

A Vector would be my choice if you can't swing either of those.

Or a SAR-1 used for $375.00 max if you can find one.

Last choice would be the WASR.  Not with the cheap TAPCO stock either.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:52:33 PM EDT
[#9]
If you are mechanically inclined..build your own...

You could have a nice buld and several mags and ammo for $600. or  two builds for that price.

Vectors are good..

I just built an AK 104 clone for under $500.

Good luck
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:57:00 PM EDT
[#10]
600 bucks huh.

I would see about getting yourself a VEPR or a used Arsenal.  Check the gun shops and the EE here.  If thats not a possibility though, picking up a Vector or equivalent is a good way to go.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:01:26 PM EDT
[#11]
MAK-90 with a straight back stamped receiver in 7.62x39 would be an excellant rifle for under $400.00.

There is a VEPR on the AK EE right now for $550.00 shipped. Seller Melvin_Johnson This is local to me and I am tempted but I just sold a SAR-1 and still have 5 AK's that I really don't need a 6th again.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:50:36 PM EDT
[#12]
For  just under $600 I see only 2  decent choices

Vepr  www.ak47.com/

OR

Vector www.vectorarms.com/indexframe.html

Both "stamped" in 7.62 x39 - accept all mags and drums
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:09:19 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
what about this piece?

That is a wasr.
One clue as to the version of gun that is, is the fact that there are no dimples in the receiver near the mag.

A wasr doesn't start out life as an ak. When they come to this country, they are modified (hurriedly) to accept 30 round mags, and usually the mags fit very sloppy. The finish on them is near the bottom of the quality scale. If you look hard enough, you should find a good gun.

Don't be afraid to buy a used gun, because it will be closer to broken-in. You will appreciate a smoother action on a broken-in gun.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:22:12 PM EDT
[#14]
When you pay more for an AK you get 1) better fit and finish, 2) hard to find or rare options like folding stocks, and maybe, if you're lucky, better accuracy. They should all be reliable (except for the new WASR 2s and 3s, and random bad kit builds) and should all have the same general level of accuracy. A hand picked WASR-10 GP can be a fine weapon, if you know what to look for.

With this in mind, find out what you want in an AK. Do you want a folding stock? What kind? Threaded barrel? Bayonet lug? A certain kind of stock? Red dot? Drum mag?

Find out what you really want and go from there. Dont just throw down $600 on something because everyone tells you its 'better'. If you want a red dot and folding stock for example, then a cheaper base gun will allow you to get those things. If you spend all your money on the gun you're going to have an AK with a really good finish, and you're going to be saving pennies and browsing the EE looking at what you can buy next.

My .02
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:56:22 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

You could have a nice buld and several mags and ammo for $600. or  two builds for that price.

Vectors are good..

Good luck

So in building my own, how difficult is that? Im rather mechanically inclined, for the most part, nothing I cant fix... but I don't know if I can build an AK...

difficulty? and where would i start?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:20:45 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Vectors are good..

Good luck

So in building my own, how difficult is that? Im rather mechanically inclined, for the most part, nothing I cant fix... but I don't know if I can build an AK...

difficulty? and where would i start?

There is a great tutorial in www.surplusrifle.com on how to build your own AK, check it out.
Building your own is not as hard as you may think but you need to have all the tools needed. Still, you need to take your time and do research.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:23:45 PM EDT
[#17]
The Vectors are nice guns in your price range.  They are accurate, reliable and nicely built.  They also carry a 5 year warranty.

Ron
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top