Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2006 7:27:39 PM EDT
Hey guys-for awhile I've been playing with the idea of having an RPK-74 built. I know k-var sells plum stocked parts sets, but I think they are missing the trunnion block, gas tubes and trigger guard (and reciever of course). How much am I looking at spending for the missing parts? Also, where do you recommend I get the stamped reciever? Like I said, I am toying with this.....I just don't know if it's worth the money. Any thoughts would be great, thx.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:46:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I had Chris Butler build me one a few years ago on an OOW receiver.  It is a lot of fun to shoot.

You might want to look at Ohio Rapid Fire's kits as well.  They have all the parts minus the receiver but they are a lot more expensive for the new kits but not that much more for the used kits.  The plum kits are pretty nice because they come with the ribbed upper handguard which was a $100 part in itself.

Right now, if you are still in the decision stage, I'd wait for the DCI/Harlan RPK-74 receiver to come out.  That would give you a more authentic look than using a standard receiver.  If they turn out well, I might buy one and upgrade my RPK-74.

Spooky
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:50:18 AM EDT
[#2]
DCI receivers should be out soon.  I bought one of the KVAR kits when they had 'em and bought a Romy 47 trunnion and a 5.45 bullet guide.  I sent the trunnion to Ted Marshall for conversion/engraving and as soon as the receivers are out, I'll send him the rest of the kit.

My plan "B" would be to buy one of the used ORF kits and just wait on the DCI receiver...
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:44:38 AM EDT
[#3]
how soon should the DCI receivers be out? Also, I hate to ask the dreaded question of money, but I'm a college student and it can be tight. What (ballpark) am I looking at this costing?

Oh and Chris Butler is sweet Spooky, have him doing some work for me soon. Post a pic of the RPK he did, if you can.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:41:37 AM EDT
[#4]
All good suggestions from these fellas. Any RPK74 build is not for the faint of heart (money wise). The K-var kit is a bit cheaper than the ORF kit but its missing parts, with the trunnion being the key part. You could always buy it and build it with a standard 74 trunnion and receiver. With the advent of DCI's new receiver comming out, we're gonna be seeing some nice RPK74's put together. I say if you want an RPK go with an RPK47, theres still some nice romanian kits on the market for half of what the 74's go for. DCI will be making receivers for both. The ammo is much more accessible too. For under 800 bucks you can build an RPK47 with all the compliance parts. For an RPK74 you're looking well over 1000. I'm waiting on DCI for a 47 receiver, counting the days. McM

Romy kit

New wood, Z-recto grip
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top