Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/11/2006 4:24:35 PM EDT
Centerfire Systems has these for $179.97. I am looking to build something different, already have a Polish underfolder & an  SAR-1.  Anyone seen these kits or have purchased? Quality? Any issues to build?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:55:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Basically, brand new.   The one I bought is in perfect condition. Test fired only.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:05:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds good, what receiver did you use to build?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:37:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Waiting for the DCI receivers.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:16:10 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Basically, brand new.   The one I bought is in perfect condition. Test fired only.

TheRealSundance, how long ago did you purchase yours?  I got two that were in the same condition, but that was when they forst got them in.  I want to pick up a couple more, and I am wondering the the remaining kits show as little wear.  I know some dealers go in and pick through Centerfire's stock, which tends to dilute the pool a bit.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:39:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

TheRealSundance, how long ago did you purchase yours?  I got two that were in the same condition, but that was when they forst got them in.  I want to pick up a couple more, and I am wondering the the remaining kits show as little wear.  I know some dealers go in and pick through Centerfire's stock, which tends to dilute the pool a bit.  

A while ago.  I think it was when they first came in, after I saw reports on how nice they were.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:45:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I've seen recent FEG kits from Centerfiresystems.  They were not pretty.  A hand pick fee was paid on them too.  If you want something nice, you'll be rolling the dice with these.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:20:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Ill agree with that too. I even pre-orderd mine with hand pick and the finish was 70% on it. I wasnt very happy but it wasnt a big deal cause I didnt wanna mess with sending it back and forth. My Yugos looked better than the SA-85
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:36:34 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Ill agree with that too. I even pre-orderd mine with hand pick and the finish was 70% on it. I wasnt very happy but it wasnt a big deal cause I didnt wanna mess with sending it back and forth. My Yugos looked better than the SA-85

Same thing here.  My Yugo's were perfect and the SA-85 was lousy with the handpick option.  I did the back and forth thing too with the Yugo's because they were blued.  I kept the SA-85 because I can paint it and the barrel's fine.

Roll of the dice  
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:25:26 AM EDT
[#9]
I was very dissapointed when I received my SA 85 kit from Centerfire today. It is worse than it looks in the photos. First kit I had ever ordered.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:28:57 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I was very dissapointed when I received my SA 85 kit from Centerfire today. It is worse than it looks in the photos. First kit I had ever ordered, will be the last one from Centerfire.
www.hunt101.com/img/377475.JPG
www.hunt101.com/img/377476.JPG
www.hunt101.com/img/377479.JPG

Wow!...

I dont think that looks all that bad, But then I bead blast and norells them when Im done...
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:46:11 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I was very dissapointed when I received my SA 85 kit from Centerfire today. It is worse than it looks in the photos. First kit I had ever ordered, will be the last one from Centerfire.
www.hunt101.com/img/377475.JPG
www.hunt101.com/img/377476.JPG
www.hunt101.com/img/377479.JPG

Wow!...

I dont think that looks all that bad, But then I bead blast and norells them when Im done...

+1... 90% of people are going to refinish the whole thing after the build is done anyway.. Stock set is not great, but still servicable.. Just means you can throw it around at the range and not worry...
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:47:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Maybe you're right, guess I expected better. Perhaps I can do a batlefield pickup build.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:04:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I for one could care less about the metal finish on a kit since I refinish the whole thing anyway.  As far as the stockset you have, you can raise most of those dents with hot water and/or steam.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:14:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:40:13 PM EDT
[#15]
When buying kits, I always pretty much write off the wood and finish.. As long as the bore is good, and its all matching numbers, then I dont care about the rest.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:58:00 PM EDT
[#16]
I paid hand select and got a big pile of firewood.  Called and was basically told "too bad, so sad."

After the whole Yugo fiasco, I'm done with CFS.

Copes tends to carry most of the same stuff as Centerfire, and the service is far better as well.  If you can't find it on Cope's, Bocefus and a few other places should have it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:00:08 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
When buying kits, I always pretty much write off the wood and finish.. As long as the bore is good, and its all matching numbers, then I dont care about the rest.

Yep, I figure that I'll be refinishing them, which is just that much more practice for my woodworking skills.

A two-fer!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:16:04 PM EDT
[#18]
My stock set looked like hell but the rest was ok.

what is the best way to refinish these stocks?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:53:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:08:39 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

If I had an upper handguard like the one posted in the picture above, I'd go the dishwasher route to raise the dents as much as possible.  I would also turn off the dry cycle on the dishwasher to avoid possibly cracking the wood.... just let it air dry.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:10:07 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If I had an upper handguard like the one posted in the picture above, I'd go the dishwasher route to raise the dents as much as possible.  I would also turn off the dry cycle on the dishwasher to avoid possibly cracking the wood.... just let it air dry.

Could you please better explain the dishwasher route?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:36:38 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Here's a link...

www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2006/dishwashermethod/index.asp

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:27:17 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here's a link...

www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2006/dishwashermethod/index.asp

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:38:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Yeah, you would have been more dissapointed with the one I got. I PREORDERED IT, HAND SELECT, and I got what you did. Others that I have seen from Centerfire looked great and they didnt hand select and they ordered them AFTER they arrived. I love Centerfire
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top