Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/10/2006 5:25:16 PM EDT
Hello All,

The many varieties of Arsenal rifles is bewildering to me.

I want a milled 7.62 Arsenal sidefolder. I really do not understand the functional significance of the differences between these models:

1. SA M-7 SF (SA M-7 SF - US made, 7.62, milled receiver, AK-74 front sight block with bayonet lug, 24mm flash hider, cleaning rod, accessory lug, black polymer furniture, right side folding buttstock, ambidextrous safety, scope rail)

2. SA M-7 SFC (SA M-7 SFC - US made, 7.62, milled receiver, AK-104 front sight/gas block with 24mm thread protector, cleaning rod, no bayonet lug, black polymer furniture, right side folding tubular buttstock, ambidextrous safety, scope rail)

So what the hell is the FUNCTIONAL difference between the SA M-7 SF and the SA M-7 SFC? I see there is no bayonet lug on the SA M-7 SFC.

Other than that, which is better for a SHTF/TEOTWAWKI situation?

Is the AK-74 front end better than the AK-104 front end on this rifle? Which would you recommend?

Thanks!

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:12:23 PM EDT
[#1]
The SFC is simply the "carbine-ized" version.  I would imagine that there would be very little difference as far as "functional differences."  

I would opt for either.  But would prefer the SA M-7SF.  I like full sized side-folders, specifically those that can accomodate a bayonet.  The second reason I'd go with the SA M-7SF, is that I'm not that familiar with the AK-104.  Not to say it's a bad variant, I'm just ignorant.

You'd really have to ask one of the experts here, i.e., "Templar," "KrinkFreak" or "JohnO."  I'm sure there are others who could give you the "low-down" as well.

Bud
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:38:02 PM EDT
[#2]
The SF is a cool weapon, and the SFC is an abortion of a rifle.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:13:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Speaking from 1st-hand experience?  Do you even own one?  I own 2.  The SFC is an AK in carbine config.

I've always wanted a milled AK w/ all the features of a Izzy Galil in Russian .30 cal., & the SFC has it all:  front sight gas block; ambidextrous safety (w/ thumb lever on grip L-side); folding metal tube stock that locks solidly open/closed; milled receiver; 7.62x39 mm.  Carbine-configured AK-47's do exist but are less prevelant than the traditional setup.  There is a single lug on the sight/gas block, but the muzzle has no flash supressor or a complimentary bayo lug.  IMO, it's a non-issue.

The threaded collar in front of the gas block/front sight is for a carbine flash suppressor.  Arsenal made the bbl. 16" to bypass the NFA hassle.  If an owner desires, they can go the NFA route & then get a compatible carbine flash suppressor to mount on that collar.  I plan on threading the 16" bbl. & installing an AAC M47-2000 flash suppressor for use w/ their can.  A cleaning rod seems sort of an oxymoron for an AK.  Handling it, the gas block sight targets significantly faster than the std. muzzle-end front sight.

I had the choice & went w/ the SFC.  No regrets.  All that said, Arsenal only made 46 SFC's.  They made slightly more of the SF model.  Google for it, or check gunsamerica.com, gunbroker.com, etc.  I bought both of mine through Dr. John Eldridge, owner of EagleEyeGuns in Wisconsin.  He's a good fellow to deal with & I even got consecutive serial #'s.

Good hunting.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:58:39 AM EDT
[#4]
+1 on SFC.
I would like to ask the same thing... do you have one? I've one and no regret what so ever!

Quoted:

Quoted:

Speaking from 1st-hand experience?  Do you even own one?  I own 2.  The SFC is an AK in carbine config.

I've always wanted a milled AK w/ all the features of a Izzy Galil in Russian .30 cal., & the SFC has it all:  front sight gas block; ambidextrous safety (w/ thumb lever on grip L-side); folding metal tube stock that locks solidly open/closed; milled receiver; 7.62x39 mm.  Carbine-configured AK-47's do exist but are less prevelant than the traditional setup.  There is a single lug on the sight/gas block, but the muzzle has no flash supressor or a complimentary bayo lug.  IMO, it's a non-issue.

The threaded collar in front of the gas block/front sight is for a carbine flash suppressor.  Arsenal made the bbl. 16" to bypass the NFA hassle.  If an owner desires, they can go the NFA route & then get a compatible carbine flash suppressor to mount on that collar.  I plan on threading the 16" bbl. & installing an AAC M47-2000 flash suppressor for use w/ their can.  A cleaning rod seems sort of an oxymoron for an AK.  Handling it, the gas block sight targets significantly faster than the std. muzzle-end front sight.

I had the choice & went w/ the SFC.  No regrets.  All that said, Arsenal only made 46 SFC's.  They made slightly more of the SF model.  Google for it, or check gunsamerica.com, gunbroker.com, etc.  I bought both of mine through Dr. John Eldridge, owner of EagleEyeGuns in Wisconsin.  He's a good fellow to deal with & I even got consecutive serial #'s.

Good hunting.

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:08:01 AM EDT
[#5]
thanks guys. Any other opinions? I want to make the purchase soon. Why is the SFC an abortion of a rifle?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 12:27:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Because it has a long, ugly-ass non-threaded barrel.  It looks like a tube.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 1:48:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Good luck finding either without paying a premium.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:57:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I, personally, wouldn't go the SFC route unless I was SBR'ing it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:23:25 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Put a flash suppressor on the muzzle & you have what is essentially an Izzy Galil in 7.62x39 mm.  I don't consider that a bad thing.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:26:34 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Put a flash suppressor on the muzzle & oyu have what is essentially an Izzy Galil in 7.62x39 mm.  I don't consider that a bad thing.

That might appeal to me if you got rid of the threaded portion of the FSB.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:32:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Ok, so the SFC was designed to be a short barrel rifle is what I am hearing. That would be great, I would really like an SBR, however they are illegal in my state.

So if I cannot convert the SFC into an SBR, then there is little point in buying one? thanks.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:16:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Who are you buying from?Do they have any SA M7 A1's in stock? If so IM me info.
Thanks
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:38:44 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Ok, so the SFC was designed to be a short barrel rifle is what I am hearing. That would be great, I would really like an SBR, however they are illegal in my state.

So if I cannot convert the SFC into an SBR, then there is little point in buying one? thanks.

It all comes down to your personal taste.  Like I said, I'd always wanted the equivalent of an Izzy Galil in 7.62, & the SFC does that, minus the flash supperssor.  I've already traded IM's w/ Kevin Brittingham of AAC about threading it for his QD M47-2000 can & its companion flash suppressor.  What I'll wind up having is exactly what I've wanted.  If that's not your thing, then go w/ the SF - of which Arsenal produced in greater numbers than the SFC, so it might be easier to locate.

There's no right or wrong in it.  Get whatever appeals to your preferences.  None of these special runs are cheap, precisely because they're so rare.  Spend your $$$ in accord w/ your tastes.  Either way, you won't lose.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:53:03 PM EDT
[#14]
So - what did you get?
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top