Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/9/2006 1:07:28 PM EDT
I just got back a krink build that has a bulgarian side folder and I also just recieved a few russian side polymer side folder stocks with folding hardware.  So now I want to replace the bularian side folder with a russian side folder.  My question is if the bulgarian hardware is removed will the russian hardware just drop in and line up with the existing holes?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:56:39 PM EDT
[#1]
My understanding that they fold in opposite directions, the Bulgy to the R & the Rusk to the L.  Don't know if that's an issue.  Is it not apparent from inspecting the hardware or the interface?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:26:53 PM EDT
[#2]
They fold the same direction. There may be an issue with the hinge pin diameter. The older
Bulgarian and the Russian metal side folders are 1mm smaller than the polymer side folders. There may also be a problem with clearance in the hinge area. I have a polymer on order, hope it arrives soon. I can check then and post info.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:41:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Where are you guys buying your Russian polymers from?  Thanks!!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:13:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Let me clarify.  I was wanting to know if the holes that have been drilled in my reciever for the bulgy folding hardware will line up with the russian folding hardware AND will the location of the latch up front work with a russian side folder?

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:19:01 AM EDT
[#5]
My *opinion* is yes, the rivet holes should be identical. There is a slight angle difference (supposedly 3º) in the stock angles in reference to the receiver but that's probably done in the trunnion and buttstock hinge machining and not in the riveting. I would guess, while being a lot of work, you could rivet the new trunnions right in place of the old ones but then you must HOPE & PRAY that the "bulge" for the latch to lock the buttstock open will line up with the hook since it's all already machined. Remember..........the 3º difference??.............

Now answer the nice man's question.............where did you get those babies?? Tantal?? Andrei??? Rusmilitary?? Inquiring minds want to know...........
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:22:05 AM EDT
[#6]
The only difference is the pin size.

Bulgarian, Tula (Russian AKSU) and early Izhmash (Russian)all use a 4.5 MM pin.

The modern Russian Izhmash solid AK100 type buttstock and modern Izhmash AKS74 type stock both use a 5.5mm pin.

Some have said its possible to modify one to fit the other, but I dont have any knowledge of this area.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:49:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry guys, forgot to answer the question.

I got them from Marshall Arms WHEN he had some about 6-7 months ago.  Very pricey, but glad I have them (3 including all folding hardware).
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:58:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Some have said its possible to modify one to fit the other, but I dont have any knowledge of this area.

I have an old Izhmash AKS74 buttstock that I had drilled to the new pin diameter.  Works fine.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:06:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I think I will just open up the Bulgy hinge holes to accept the Russian pin b/c with test fitting the front latch will attach properly to the Russian polymer folder.  I'll let everyone know how it works.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:36:21 PM EDT
[#10]
I ordered one from rumilitary, they are now back in stock. Order was placed Jan 16th, they shipped Jan 30th, and I am still waiting. They are in Great Brittan. Hope it is here soon. They do not have any hardware. I have a trunnion and its hardware, but no front latch stuff. Anyone know a source for latch parts?

http://www.rusmilitary.com/html/c-deact_furniture.htm

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:18:07 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I ordered one from rumilitary, they are now back in stock. Order was placed Jan 16th, they shipped Jan 30th, and I am still waiting. They are in Great Brittan. Hope it is here soon. They do not have any hardware. I have a trunnion and its hardware, but no front latch stuff. Anyone know a source for latch parts?

http://www.rusmilitary.com/html/c-deact_furniture.htm

Am pretty sure those are modern production, they are big hole.

For parts I recommend Tantal.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:25:49 PM EDT
[#12]
I received my stock today from rusmilitary. It is brand new, in the wrapper, and it does have the big hole. Looks like the current production item. I thought it might be from a deact when I ordered it.

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:10:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Ekie,

Did you just use a 5.5mm bit or did you use a reamer?

Rick
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:22:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Tantal did it for me, and don't know how.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:40:09 AM EDT
[#15]
OK, today at lunch I took a little off the bulgy rear folding trunion so the AK100 series stock would fit the opening.  At first I thought there would be alot of play in the AK100 stock since the holes are 5.5mm and the bulgy pin is 4.5mm, but it is nice and snug.  So basically just took a very small amount of steel off the bulgy folding trunion, insert ak100 stock, and drove bulgy pin home.  It locks folded perfect and it just a little tight when open, but my guess is over time it will begin to fit better.

I don't have any pics, but I will try to get some tomorrow at lunch.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:02:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Gonna start checking in with Doug Ford/Tantal, and Ted Marshall more often.

Andrei/AndyArts/Ruseller is not trustworthy with these AK-100 parts and shipping from Russia....
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:13:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Here are some pics of the Russian polymer side folder pinned to a Bulgy rear trunion using the Bulgy 4.5mm pin.

Here is a pic of the only part that I modified.  I took a very small amount off of metal above the red line from the Bulgy trunion using a file.

Before anyone says anything, I will be sending the krink out soon for a refinsh in Black Satin moly.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:15:34 PM EDT
[#18]
those grips aren't very sturdy after a lot of use.

I know from experience.

Swap it out for an AK grip if you can.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:54:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Loctite is my friend, not the perm stuff though.  I have used them on my builds ever since they were introduced a few years back.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top