Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2006 9:10:23 PM EDT
Given as I get care packages full of gun magazines from the States, the younger soldiers ask me, "Sergeant, I want to get an AK when we get home, how much and where?"

I know a hell of a lot more about shopping for AR's and Garands, and I see ads full of the things in SGN. Who's good to deal with for an already-built AK?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:57:23 PM EDT
[#1]
My advice would be the "Equipment Exchange" here.  Usually, the fellas have excellent guns for sale.  I would definitely try here first.  

However, it really depends on what they're looking for.  

Arsenal Inc., (Las Vegas) makes quality AKs and you can find them from various dealers including; Jensen Arms, Atlantic Firearms, etc.  Also, tell your troops to check out the Vector line of AKs.  Now, if they're looking for pre '89 guns...good luck.  They're rare.  And, when you do find them, they're expensive as hell.  

There are plenty of Romanian guns around the boards.  Top quality and less expensive than most of their "cousins."

For instance, I just purchased a pre '89 Polytech (China) AK with underfolding bayonet.  It was new, but I paid a pretty price.  However, it was worth every penny.    

We could really give you more information if we knew exactly what you were looking for.

Bud
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:02:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Something simple and affordable Romi for about $300-$400. or something a little more than regular from $600+.

Other things to decide on regular stock, or underfolder or side folder?. Synthetic stocks or wood? also do you want a stamped rec, or a milled? also muzzel attchments or not?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:10:21 PM EDT
[#3]
tell them Vector arms...its a great middle of the road choice for AKs...you get the classic look, good construction, a nice finish, and they are a good deal $-wise
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:55:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Another vote for the EE. Lots of nice AK's for sale there.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:01:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Anyone ever dealt with Ohio Rapid Fire? I know JoeKen gets poor reviews, but I knew a guy who swore by his ORF semiauto 1919.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:16:38 AM EDT
[#6]
They are a very reputable company.   I would not hessitate to purchase from them.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:35:14 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Anyone ever dealt with Ohio Rapid Fire? I know JoeKen gets poor reviews, but I knew a guy who swore by his ORF semiauto 1919.

you'll also see folks who swear at their ORF 1919 if you search www.1919a4.com

Whichever company you decide on, visit a few message boards (this one, FAL Files, AK Files, Gunco.net, etc.) and search on the seller/company.

Hopefully you do some research before buying a car or other expensive home appliance. An expensive firearm should be no different.

You may end up saving yourself a lot of grief.

Caspian
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:20:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Get home safe man, and good job over there.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:29:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Look for the words JoeKen Hesse Vulcan and avoid if affiliated.  J&G, Classic Arms (NC), and AimSurplus are good and reputable.  CDNN is the benchmark for great service but no AKs thus far.

Be Cautious of Centerfire Systems.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:42:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Slaphappy, thanks.

Mattl, I pretty much gave jup on Centerfire when they started running out of good M1 carbine parts a few years back. I never had the AK bug until this second Iraq tour. Now I'm debating a 7.62mm, a 5.45mm, or one of each since they're still cheaper than good Garands.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top