Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/6/2006 6:44:06 PM EDT
I bought a wasr-3 from a friend and absolutely love it ,low recoil , good ammo availability, weiger mags fit and function great (alittle woble!)not bad!, 223 converted bakelits look and work great in it ,feels good , accurate as hell, a great bang for $300.
Being I like it so well I've been looking for a used SAR-3 because supposedly it's a little better made model ,on the WTT/ WTS AK's for a while but no such luck! . Must be that every one who has bought one has also enjoyed it so much they hate to part with it!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:12:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I sure enjoy my SAR 3. If you finally do find one the 1st thing that should really be done is replace the hammer with one from Redstar. If the hammer that comes with the SAR isn't fitted properly it will destroy the near impossible to replace bolt.

Rick
SGF, Mo.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:24:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh, if you are patient enough, they do turn up on the EE.  However, due to their relative scarcity, and after the fact popularity, they are commanding a premium now.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:49:03 PM EDT
[#3]
the normal hammer wont destroy the bolt/carrier, just make sure its striking it on the right angle/spot and your fine...
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:06:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a SAR-3 that I picked up for around $375 that looks like an absolute piece of stink.  The worst metal work I have EVER seen on a firearm.  Must have been assembled after a drunken Romanian holiday.

Bone stock fcg is fine and maple syrup furniture stain.  Shoots like a dream - accurate - and no malfunctions ever.  Not sensitive about mags or ammo.  I got lucky!  Just as accurate as my SAM-5 and Norinco 84s.  I think the SAR-3 is underrated due to bad press a few years ago (peening hammers from to incorrect geometry with the unusual bolt ).  

My ugly bastard is a keeper.  I'll have to post pics.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:18:42 PM EDT
[#5]
post some pics!I love my wasr-3 and will even love my SAR-3 when I get one! glad to here possitive stuff about them, because I really want one!
Whats the chances someone would trade one for a SAR-1 or would I have to kick out some booty!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:16:29 PM EDT
[#6]
see i toald you that they were good but no you wont listen to me  

dumb ass

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:23:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
see i toald you that they were good but no you wont listen to me  

dumb ass

Oh, smell this on for size!

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:28:29 PM EDT
[#8]
bpohs  think abought itsoapbox]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:22:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Whats the barrel twist on the SAR3s?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:36:04 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
post some pics!I love my wasr-3 and will even love my SAR-3 when I get one! glad to here possitive stuff about them, because I really want one!
Whats the chances someone would trade one for a SAR-1 or would I have to kick out some booty!

There are apparently a lot more SAR-1s out there. IIRC the 3s were only imported during two years, not for the whole run like SAR-1s. Unless someone just really wants to dump one for a 7.62, or unless they dont know what they have, a SAR-3 brings more than a SAR-1. The latter was the case with mine, NIB at a gunshow for $325 a couple months back. The guy had bought it years back, probably for 200 something, and never shot it. He probably thought he was taking me for a ride considering the previous prices. I saw another guy sell a used SAR-1 to a dealer for $250. I bought it from the dealer for $320. People that bought SARs back in the day paid a lot less, so they may not know current prices.

Anyway, I havent shot it much either, and I dont know if I want an AK in 5.56, but I'm holding on to it because its so damn hard to find another one.

Keep watching the EE though, they do come up relatively often, just not daily/weekly like SAR-1s.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:43:14 AM EDT
[#11]
We were at the local gunshow this weekend and I'm talking to some dealer when my buddy taps me on the shoulder and says, "what do you think of this deal?"

There stands a guy with a stock SAR3 and a backpack with 22 mags in it. He has a sign that says $280 for the SAR3, and $5 apiece on the mags, or $360 for the whole bunch.

Needless to say, I'm drooling. Inside the pack are about 8 Bulgy circle 10 waffles, 8 or 9 of the E German ones, and 4 or 5 bakelites.

While the guy is digging through his bag to pull out the front sight tool, and bipod he ends up giving my buddy, I tell my friend that this is the freakin' deal of the year, if he does not sanp it up, I'm going to.

He got the whole thin for $360 out the door. Everything but the backpack.

Neither my bud or the guy selling the stuff knew what they had. My buddy was nice enough to pull me over to the side afterwards and give me a big thanks for helping him with it. He said he could see it in my eyes that I wanted this deal bad.

We're gonna work out a deal where I refinish his SAR3 and install the RSA parts for him, and he's going to give me a few of the mags, some of the E German and some of the Bulgy ones for my future SAM5.

Man, I paid more for my SAR3 than he paid for this whole rig. I was SO FREAKIN' JEALOUS, but at least my bud got the deal and not some dealer. I have not seen one at a show in awhile, and the last one I saw, I purchased for about $380 out the door.

I refinished mine in socom black moly resin, put the RSA parts in, and dressed it up in some nice Polish laminate. Looks good, and the best shooting AK I have shot so far.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:09:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I just picked up a NIB SAR3 from a local gun store for $400.00 I am pleased to get it for that price since I know it is a virgin rifle....... I already have the Romanian FSB from Kvar to convert it over tomake it look like it supposed to....
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:48:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Here's my SAR-3 err-uhh money pit It's been sand blasted and coated with a 50/50 blend of High Gloss moly resin and SOCOM Black moly resin. This seems to give it the perfect color. Not to glossy not to flat. It's has a K-var stock set, RSA hammer, Romi FSB, New Bulgarian non-numbered gas tube and top cover. And to top it off a AKUSA 22mm comp. One of these days I might get out and shoot it.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:00:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Why must you torture me with these pics!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:27:08 AM EDT
[#15]
ark-and-spark, VERY nice. I have been trying to figure out what to do about the muzzle on mine. It looks really lame with nothing on the end.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:59:11 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a couple.

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:30:37 AM EDT
[#17]

Had this one since '01. It is a survivor of 19months in guccianos chicken coop and a resucitation by INRANGE.

I need to take a few more pics of it. Inrange did a really good job on it. Red Star match trigger too, it likes weiger mags or bakelites too.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top