Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2006 10:17:59 AM EDT
I asked in the Ammunition section also. So mods erase away if you have to. I just know that I might get a response here. I am able to buy 1000rd cases of 7.62x39 for 120.00 shipped. And I realy want ammo to shoot my Saigas.

But I know nothing of German 7.62x39 FMJ.

It is a plain brown cardboard box. Each idividual box inside is white. Holds 20rds. But all it says on case/box. And individual boxes is:

20 Cartridges 7.62x39 MM
123gr. Full Metal Jacket, Lead Core Bullet,
Berdan Primed, Steel Case. Ball Ammunition
Made In Germany

Nothing else. No importer. No company......

Anyone have an idea?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:03:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I bought a case of that years ago, shot great, it is corrosive though
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:07:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. I bought 2000rds. screw it. It's an AK(Saiga).........not my M16A4.......

corrosive means nasty powder residue, and hard cleaning right?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:11:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Im looking for lead core 7.62x39 for 3gun ,is there a web sight ?hook a brotha up....
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:14:12 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Im looking for lead core 7.62x39 for 3gun ,is there a web sight ?hook a brotha up....

No website. It's a local pawn shop.

Do you want to call, and maybe see if they will ship? It's in Kileen,Texas?

I couldn't pass on it. And they have Russian tins of 5.45x39.....but they are asking way too much for it....

but not for 7.62x39!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:17:25 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Thanks. I bought 2000rds. screw it. It's an AK(Saiga).........not my M16A4.......

corrosive means nasty powder residue, and hard cleaning right?

Just wipe everything out after shooting it. Basicly clean your rifle. The Gas system and bolt, barrel. A good powder solvent ( Hoppes ) and clp,. You should be fine. The big deal is it will rapidly rust your rifle up if not clean after shooting it. You really need to clean it that day. WarDawg
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:18:04 AM EDT
[#6]
no, it means you need to windex your gas tube, barrel, gas block, top of the mag, bolt, and front trunnion when you clean it to get the corrosive salts out.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:21:41 AM EDT
[#7]
If I windex'd it(seriously), then cleaned the shit out of it with CLP(the military NSN kind), would I be solid??

I always clean religously immediately after shooting. Unlike most....I enjoy cleaning it.....so the action is smooth.....beautiful......

Like PVT PYLE did in Full Metal Jacket............I talk to my rifle
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:23:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah the number would be great,doubt if a pawn shop will ship it though....worth a shot..
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:25:42 PM EDT
[#9]
just spray some windex in and around, then wipe it up.  I typically do a second shot to be sure and then hit it with some WD40 to get whatever water out that I can, then slap some oil on.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:45:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Wow..........

someone here ain't playing!

I called back. The young kid working there said he sold the remainder to an older guy who read about it on-line here, and bought the last 3 cases locally!

Who is here in Kileen?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:59:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Corrosive ammo produces potassium salts.  Potassium salts dissolve in water.  Windex contains water.

Windex then CLP will work fine man, though you may want to check a day or two after you clean in case you missed a spot.

Picked up some Ballistol at the range yesterday and tried it out on a few weapons.  The stuff says a 50/50 mix of Ballistol and water will do very nicely on corrosive residue and prevent rust at the same time.  I'm going to give that a shot on my Mosin come spring.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:51:26 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Corrosive ammo produces potassium salts.  Potassium salts dissolve in water.  Windex contains water.

Windex then CLP will work fine man, though you may want to check a day or two after you clean in case you missed a spot.

Picked up some Ballistol at the range yesterday and tried it out on a few weapons.  The stuff says a 50/50 mix of Ballistol and water will do very nicely on corrosive residue and prevent rust at the same time.  I'm going to give that a shot on my Mosin come spring.

Plus 1 on WinstonSmiths post.  Windex really has nothing to do with it. Water does. What really would be better is a pot of boiling water. Better than windex anyday.  There are many recipies for cleaning corrsive ammo rifles. Ive used Hoppes # 9 in a pinch and it never has let me down. I was out of windex at the range..LOL...  The Windex secrete formular is simply H2O  ( water ) ...  Just reoil... WD
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:56:10 PM EDT
[#13]
People dont use windex because its a pretty blue color.  

They use it for its ammonia content - which neutralizes the corrosive salts.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:03:27 PM EDT
[#14]
I like windex because it has water to dissolve the salts and it also degreases.

hell you can clean just about anything with windex
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:09:46 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I like windex because it has water to dissolve the salts and it also degreases.

hell you can clean just about anything with windex

I normally use Windex also. I put it into an contact saline squeeze bottle and I can squeeze a small stream anywhere I want.  Ive just used Hoppes in an emergancy and it did a good job. WD
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:11:29 PM EDT
[#16]
good stuff.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:30:50 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

They use windex because it dries quickly.  Rubbing alcohol or good hot water like was mentioned above would work too.

Windex contains NO ammonia.

Ammonia does NOT dissolve salts from perchlorate primers.

Ammonia removes copper fouling in strong enough concentration.  The concentration of ammonia in most household cleaning substances won't do it, hence the knock-you-down smell of Butch's Bore Shine or Shooters Choice copper remover.  Much stronger.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:41:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Damn,ok who was it ?....
Is wolf corrosive?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:00:18 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Weird. My knock-off windex (Kroger) says it does.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:53:47 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Weird. My knock-off windex (Kroger) says it does.

From a previous post:

Windex Ingredients from MSDS/Label:
Isopropanol  1-5%
2-Butoxyethanol  0.5-1.5%
Ethylene glycol n-hexyl ether  0.1-1.0%
Water  90-95%

That's the original formula as listed at the NIH household products database.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:03:34 PM EDT
[#21]
I bought 2000rds. I'm going back for more tommorrow..........
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:17:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Real old timers have cans of USGI bore cleaner for corrosive ammo and use it whenever there is any doubt. It workrs every time.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:51:48 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Damn,ok who was it ?....
Is wolf corrosive?

Wolf is not corrosive - blast away without fear.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:13:56 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

They use it for the ammonia, which they think "neutralizes" the salts.  It doesn't, this is an Internet myth.  The water disolves the salts.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top