Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2006 7:14:27 PM EDT
Im trying to put together a pretty acurate example of a late model Soviet AKM.  What would be the correct oil bottle to put in the magazine pouch, the 1 head izhvesk round oil bottle, or the 2 headed round oil bottle with the W and H on it?  I have searched all evening and have found no answer online or in any of the AK books I have.  Thanks.

Pictures of each

www.aa-ok.com/590.jpg

www.aa-ok.com/99c1.jpg

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:49:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Good question ... I'd like to know also

ETA: I believe the double spout came with the Russian Mosin Nagant Rifle (spelling)

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:59:17 PM EDT
[#2]
If you look at this 1968 dated Soviet AKM training poster it showes both the round dual spout oil/solvent bottle and the plastic oil bottle. This is the only info on correct oil bottles that I have been able to find.
i7.photobucket.com/albums/y291/anyirons/145001968akposter.jpg
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 11:23:21 PM EDT
[#3]
The single spout is the later one.. Not sure when it came out.

Keep in mind though that the Soviets issued whatever they had on hand. They might have issued one type of item from the factory, but once the crate was opened at the barracks, anything was possible.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:15:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies.  Sounds like either bottle would be correct for the mid 70s.  I have also seen the posters and noticed the 2 headed bottle, thats what got me thinking that perhaps the one I bought is incorrect.   Last night I did manage to find a small paragraph in the book Kalashnikov Rifles and their variations by Joe Poyer.  

It basically states that the earlier tin coated iron bottle had two compartments, one for lubricating oil and the other for a cleaning solution.  Later types were the tin coated iron single compartment bottles for lubricating oil and cleaning solution.  The latest style was the plastic bottles.  The book goes on to show pictures of them all.

So to my understanding the Russians switched to a single compartment bottle sometime in the 70s that held a solution that cleaned and oiled?  Or did they carry 2 of the bottles?  I have my doubts that they would carry 2 separate bottles considering their magazine pouches only had 1 place to put an oil bottle.  Im guessing around the time that they started to switch to the plum furniture on the AK-74 rifles that they also switched to the plastic single compartment oil bottles.  I wander if there are plum colored oil bottles out there?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:25:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes, there are plum oil bottles out there.. With or without Izhmash markings..
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top