Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2006 5:37:59 AM EDT
I just got mine in, Despite hearing all the horror stories. It is mint. I will post some pics later. I am wondering if this is 1 in a million, or if they are working with a different batch now.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:01:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Just got mine yesterday it is in great shape it passes the bullet test and great rifleing except in between the sight and gasport there is bulge in the rifleing like there was a squib or something in the barrel. I dont know if I should build it or not any input

BLM
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:04:43 AM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:09:20 AM EDT
[#3]
It looks like these kits have fair to decent bores...maybe a better term is "useable."

I had not personally seen some of the older "sewer pipe" bores, but I wonder how many of those just needed a good, thorough cleaning and were actually useable.  (Not saying people were exxagerating, just a thought that the intial appearance must have been quite a shock)

My guess is after being 'spoiled' with chrome lined bareled kits with excellent bores that those folks who got the first "dark bore" Yugo kits were horrified at the comparative condition.  

AS for a "bulged" abrrel, that is one I would personally NOT fire.  Give CFS a call and tell them taht.  WOrn rifling is one thing, IMHO a bulged barrel is way beyond "worn" and should be replaced.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:22:43 AM EDT
[#4]
I better order one of these, someday. That kit is awesome.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:57:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I got one this week and looked just as good on the outside but the bore was trash. Flunked the bullet test, major corrosion and little rifleing left. I think its just luck of the draw. I sent mine back yesterday.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:59:44 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I got one this week and looked just as good on the outside but the bore was trash. Flunked the bullet test, major corrosion and little rifleing left. I think its just luck of the draw. I sent mine back yesterday.

thats why I am bumed out my kit looks great except the bulged barrel
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:08:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Is the bulge visible from the outside?

I remember reading a similar post and it was just an illusion created by the gas port
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:25:23 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Is the bulge visible from the outside?

I remember reading a similar post and it was just an illusion created by the gas port

I is not visible from the outside but you can feel it and see it on the inside
It is right in between the front sight and gas block you can see a defanat ring like there was a bullet stuck there and one hit it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:38:17 AM EDT
[#9]
i would post the question over at gunco....there are a lot of expert builders over there.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:54:52 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
i would post the question over at gunco....there are a lot of expert builders over there.

thanks robpiat  I will do that
I didn't mean to hijack the thread
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:23:46 AM EDT
[#11]
can you modify flats to use with these or do you have to special order a reciever?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:36:29 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
can you modify flats to use with these or do you have to special order a reciever?

You cannot use Tapco flats to build these. Yugo recievers are a different length IIRC, not to mention the front trunion "bulges" like an RPK receiver...

Cold Steel Solutions offers an 80% pre-folded Yugo receiver that you drill out all the holes on, but it is around $45.  You might as well spend $80 and get a DCI/Nodakspud receiver unless you are really into the "homebuilt not on the books" type thing.

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:53:22 AM EDT
[#13]
you can modify a tapco flat to work, it will end up being a weld build.  there was a guy in the build it yourself forum who did this.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:08:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top