Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/3/2006 1:49:12 PM EDT
Can anyone tell me if these are decent rifles? I've only got one rifle right now in 5.45, and wouldn't  mind another.
do you have to worry about the canted sight thing with these?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:22:47 PM EDT
[#1]
POS - Total POS

I know some will say they are fine but the fact is they are about the quality of a Daisy Red Rider - with a bad trigger.

another 200 would get a decent AK and another 200 on top of that a very good one

You get what you pay for

edit: sorry I under-valued the very good one
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:25:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Gotcha redfisher. Thing is, I don't need ANOTHER AK, but that price sparked my interest.

Is it worse than my WASR-10?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:46:49 PM EDT
[#3]
WASR-2's are not any better or any worse than the WASR-10's.

For @289, it's a good deal. If I did not already have two 5.45 rifles I would pick one up.

I have not seen any problems posted about the WASR-2's.  WASR-3's have had many problems.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:00:53 PM EDT
[#4]
"Good Gun?"

No.  HOWEVER... doing the calculation of...

1)  Buy for parts
2)  Put it on a GT Receiver....

Total would be in the $378 range.  Not THAT bad.  On the other hand, that's getting REAL close to an overpriced Bulgy kit on a GT...  I would pass.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:34:01 PM EDT
[#5]
The reason they ae on sale is that they will be discontinued very shortly.  Seems the com-bloc nations are switching calibers and with that the ammo will dry up eventually.  So if you get one, buy a few thousand rounds of ammo too!  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:39:58 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The reason they ae on sale is that they will be discontinued very shortly.  Seems the com-bloc nations are switching calibers and with that the ammo will dry up eventually.  So if you get one, buy a few thousand rounds of ammo too!  

Russia isnt stopping...  5.45 still has a role there
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:46:44 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Russia isnt stopping...  5.45 still has a role there

WORD
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:47:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I thought the russians were still very much committed to the 5.45 round?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:07:13 PM EDT
[#9]
The gun...

Accuracy, not bad. Function, very good. Wood quality, crappy. Muzzle, not threaded. Bayonet lug, not sure.

If I got one, it would be to make a cheapo German AK clone or something like that. But I wouldnt, I am too dedicated to the 7.62.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:47:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a wasr 2 and 3 imo a good deal for the money, both function perfect out of the box and g2  triggers in them. Both were better fit and finish then a gpwasr 10. I had the barrels on both threaded 14 by 1 left, and they now have global rpk brakes on them, plum stocks and eg folders and are good shooters. But I dont know maybee the arsenal 105 shoots better.hinking.gif
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:59:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Does the rifle have a bayo lug? How much does it cost to have it threaded and the front sight modified to take the spring pin?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:29:15 PM EDT
[#12]
If you can find ammo for the thing, go for it.  Aint like there's a lot of options in a cheap 5.45 rifle.  The ammo is dried up though.

I worry about the future of 5.45 in the US.  There's little to no domestic support either in weapons, ammo, or ammo components in that caliber, and little variation in weapons outside of the AK platform.  Too bad it's such a nice package.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:46:03 PM EDT
[#13]
The rifle has no bayo lug and it cost me $20.00 to get it threaded at tejas gunwerks, I have been to lazy to put a spring and plunger in it. As for ammo I have 1500 rnds, as long as theres a demand there will be a supply or I have a couple paperweights on my hands.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:50:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:50:09 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
If you can find ammo for the thing, go for it.  Aint like there's a lot of options in a cheap 5.45 rifle.  The ammo is dried up though.

I worry about the future of 5.45 in the US.  There's little to no domestic support either in weapons, ammo, or ammo components in that caliber, and little variation in weapons outside of the AK platform.  Too bad it's such a nice package.

I've got 3 5.45x39 rifles.  You guys are making me think I should unload 2 of them.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:20:04 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Stargazer, where did you get your infomration taht the combloc nations are switching calibers adn abandoning 5.45?  

If you are basing that on the theory that the ammo is drying up = no more use of that caliber, then by rights 7.62x39 and 5.56x45 are also being abandoned as military calibers, because both those a a real pain to get right now too!

IMHO, the reason there is a shortage of 5.45 is that Wolf is he only producer/importer of it right now.  Wolf has some very large contracts with the U.S. Gov to supply the Iraqi mlitary with 7.62x39.  My guess is they are focusing production on 7.62x39 to feed the U.S. contract, and that is why both 7.62 and 5.45 are scarce on the domestic American market.

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:28:09 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've got 3 5.45x39 rifles.  You guys are making me think I should unload 2 of them.

I wouldn't sell the rifles, but I would save up some bucks to buy 5.45 by the ton when the supply loosens up again.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 10:55:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Wow, you guys got me worried about 5.45 availability in  the future.

but doesn't it seem that if the supply COMPLETELY dried up, someone over here would start manufacturing the ammo? there's a &^%$load of 5.45 rifles here in the U.S.

Right now i'm sitting on 500 or so rounds of 5.45, and now i'm not going to take my '74 to the range for a while. Thing is, it's my favorite AK to shoot!!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 2:25:55 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Wow, you guys got me worried about 5.45 availability in  the future.

but doesn't it seem that if the supply COMPLETELY dried up, someone over here would start manufacturing the ammo? there's a &^%$load of 5.45 rifles here in the U.S.

Right now i'm sitting on 500 or so rounds of 5.45, and now i'm not going to take my '74 to the range for a while. Thing is, it's my favorite AK to shoot!!

I just bought my first AK in 5.45; my SLR-105 isn't even here yet and I'm paranoid about the ammo shortages. I will just have to save up and stockpile 5.45 ammo when it starts coming in again.......with luck a domestic provider will pick up the slack if Wolf permanently stops coming in......
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:15:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Tell me how this sounds:

-Get a cheapo 5.45 WASR.

-Get E. German side folding stock and handgaurds, maybe pistol grip.

-Get a cheapo twist-on '74 style compensator and cheaply attatch it.

How would that sound, as far as likeness to the german MPiKS74 (or however it goes)? It would probably look kinda cool, and in all reality I could have it threaded or have the reciever re-marked later (as in adding German markings and such, NOT changing the reciever SN).

Oh, and FYI, I am a 7.62 man only... prob. would use this as a beater or something, didn't even consider it till I thought "Cheap Gun + No Ammo= Cheaper gun".
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:26:34 PM EDT
[#21]
i really like the round, very easy to shoot.  I think it has less recoil then my AR-15 carbine.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:30:56 PM EDT
[#22]
None the less it will fire every time you pull the trigger.....After all it is an AK
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:21:04 PM EDT
[#23]
I would buy one of these way before spending more an any other 5.45 AK, unless you are REALLY into them.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:42:13 PM EDT
[#24]
I must confess- I am the sole reason why the 5.45 is dried up in the US- cause I have it all in my basement.....

2 of my 4 AK74s....

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:53:07 PM EDT
[#25]
If I had a 5.45 I am sure I would be pretty ticked...

I have around 14-15K rounds of ammo but only 1.5-2K rounds are 7.62x39mm.

Hey, I know where you can get 880 rounds of ammo for $55... but you have to buy a PSL, SVT-40 or Mosin Nagant to use it hehehe...
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top