Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/3/2006 10:12:58 AM EDT
I have some AK mags taht are *coated* in cosmoline.  Is it possible (and safe for both the mags and the dishwasher) to diassemble them and run them through the dishwasher?  I was then planning on hitting them with simple green to finish the job, and a later batch might even get repainted.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:14:26 AM EDT
[#1]
brake cleaner..
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:22:39 AM EDT
[#2]
You *can* but won't the Misses be mad?
Any gun finish will handel getting wet for a shot time, just remember to turn off the dry cycle and dry by hand with an oily rag.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:24:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Your ole lady's gonna kill you...Break cleaner..
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:55:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I ran my FAL mags with cosmo on them through a cycle with a load of dishes. Dishes and mags came out spotless.    It works great and my wife did not mind.  ( I do have a great wife)
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:05:20 AM EDT
[#5]
It will work, but to get the cosmoline off mine, I disassemble and then stick them in a pot of hot water.  Metal mags I use boiling water. You can add dish detergent like Dawn to help cut the grease.  I then dump this outside, wipe the mags off with a rag and if they still need cleaning then the mags go into the dishwasher.   I don't want large quantities of cosmoline in my sewer line.  

I don't pour grease from cooking down the drains either, pour it in a container and wipe pan out with a paper towel before washing.

Grease clogged sewer lines aren't something I want to deal with.

I use to use brake cleaner until I got it in my eye.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:08:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:00:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I just washed 2 new mags with a toothbrush and dish soap in the sink.  Worked great, and no break cleaner smell.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:01:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:04:38 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
You *can* but won't the Misses be mad?
Any gun finish will handel getting wet for a shot time, just remember to turn off the dry cycle and dry by hand with an oily rag.

Well being I am not married and it is my place with my dishwasher, i don't really see that being much of a problem.

However, someone made the good point about cosmo then being inside a machine that also cleans my dishes....yum.

It will work, but to get the cosmoline off mine, I disassemble and then stick them in a pot of hot water. Metal mags I use boiling water. You can add dish detergent like Dawn to help cut the grease. I then dump this outside, wipe the mags off with a rag and if they still need cleaning then the mags go into the dishwasher. I don't want large quantities of cosmoline in my sewer line.

Good idea, I have some old pots I can use...
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top